The White House Inn
Vintage Motel(Wilmington)
Readsboro Inn(Readsboro)
Econo Lodge(Brattleboro)
View Hotel
All reviewsdining roomhidden staircasewine cellarnew managementfour poster bedsummer monthsfall foliageperfect weekendblown awayold houselong weekendsmall townmount snowfire pitbrunchbasementwedding
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My fiance and I chose this location for a romantic getaway. The inn boasts on its website that it is great for romantic getaways. Upon arrival, we found it strange that the check in was on the opposite side of the inn from the parking area. There was no direction to the front desk, a closet, so we had to explore a little to find it. Check in was done with Pam. She was okay, but didnt seem overly enthusiastic about her job. We were guided to our room, 15. The room was extremely cold (in the 50's according to thermometer. It was clear that the baseboard heating did not work effectively, an electric heater provided slowly brought the room to a habitable temperature. The windows had plastic wrap on them due to the cold. The mattress was cheap and very hard to sleep on for two nights. We both tossed and turned all night. The bathroom, at first look, appeared to have been updated. The fan was extremely loud and could not be left on. The shower pressure was not very good. We had a jacuzzi tub that we did not use. The shower flooded the bathroom floor every morning we used it. The tile around the shower was pitched in a way that water followed the edge of the tub and went right onto the floor, making it a slip hazard. There were very few towels and toiletries in the room. The tissue box had two tissues left in it. We later heard from the maid that she knew about this, but only had one more box left that was crushed. We took the crushed box. The fireplace in the room was a nice feature, but they only gave us enough wood for a fire that lasted about an hour. Any additional wood had to be purchased from the hotel.
We took an intro to massage class from Laura. She was great and very knowledgable. Highly recommend her!
Dinner was excellent. The food was well cooked and seasoned. Good size portions as well. Dessert selection was a little lacking. Wait staff seemed overwelmed with every a small crowd. I would have preferred some louder music playing to drone out conversations being held at other tables.
Our first night of sleep was non-existent. Our romantic getaway spot was next to two rooms occupied by college age people. They were up until about 3am each night partying. Their conversations were easy to overhear due to the thin walls. Would have liked for staff to tell them to be quiet or leave, but I guess they didnt care enough to do that. In our room, we could feel the room shake when people ran up and down the exterior stairs adjacent to the room. It was very difficult to rest. Our second night was worse than the first.
The breakfast service was adequate in the morning. Good coffee and food. Eggs were not so great, but that was our only complaint. It was a sit down service so tip the waitress!
We paid for a dog sled tour at Husky Works, just north of Mt. Snow. Great couple running this tour. Highly highly recommended. It is a little pricey, but a once in a lifetime experience.
Overall, this inn is overpriced by about $100 per night. We enjoyed our weekend, but only despite the conditions of our room. If you are looking for a romantic getaway, go elsewhere! This hotel has too diverse of a crowd to ensure that you will only be surrounded by other couples trying to have a quiet romantic getaway.

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank RaptorCT
WhiteHouseInn178, Manager at The White House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a response to your stay here at the White House. We wished we knew how unhappy you were with your stay and the noise from the room next to you, we would have liked to have been able to address your complaints while you were here and at least been able to possibly make your stay more enjoyable. We do have signs for registration as you are driving in that bring you to the front door and to the office. Wood is always available if you need more than supplied a simple request and we would have brought some more to your room. We are very sorry that we did not accomplish a wonderful visit with us.

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

We started coming to The White House Inn over 7 years ago. We love the space. It's a beautiful, charming mansion, on its own hill steeped above the tiny town of Wilmington. Unfortunately, the Inn has undergone several changes over the years. In an effort to keep business coming, it's lost some of its B&B charm. A town psychic (literally) took over the entire main living room space for private sessions on the Saturday we were there, leaving it unavailable for guests. It was a huge disappointment. The noise from the loud restaurant and bar carries up to the rooms - a simple fix could just be to close the doors. Overall the Inn has lost its quiet, serene sense. We'd characterize it more as an off mountain ski lodge than a quaint B&B- catering to Mt Snow skiers and the local community more than B&B types. As a B&B goer, relaxing in the large, spacious beautiful living room should never have to be compromised by psychic readings. This really perplexed us, as you can see. The restaurant and bar staff continue to be lovely. They get an A+. We probably won't be returning for a couple's getaway unless the Inn recovers some of the charm from our earlier visits. It's still a beautiful space so we would consider coming back with a large group of friends prepared to take in all of the ski lodge type commotion.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cmlmls
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We hadn't been back since a management and chef change a year or so ago and were keeping our fingers crossed. No worries! Bruch was excellent. We were a large party of 9 and everything was handled well. Pancakes were perfect, eggs benedict served elegantly, and brunch drinks (mimosas and bloody Mary's) well made. All of the entrees were fresh and well prepared.
The ambience is elegant and comfortable at the same time. A guitarist in the bar area played James Taylor, etc and was a first-rate performer.
A lovely way to spend a Sunday with friends and far better than the usual pre-game Superball options......

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Just returned from a lovely stay at The White House Inn. I was greeted by Aubrey who was very kind and gracious. She gave me a tour of the Inn as I love old homes and this certainly is an old home turned into an inn. There was not a lot of activity as I stayed mid-week and the restaurant was closed. I was aware of this as I made my reservation. They do provide guests a breakfast but it is served around 8am and that was too late for me. This is truly a beautiful place though it needs a lot of TLC. There are so many wonderful architectural details throughout the building that need proper attention and I hope in time they are addressed. This place has the potential to be grand! If you are planning a stay during winter months I feel it is important for you to know that it is a cold building. Aubrey provided me with an electric heater for the room and I kept a fire going in the fireplace til I fell asleep. I did have to make a few trips on my own out back to get wood after the office was closed but I'm a hardy New Englander and that didn't bother me but it might bother you. The White House Inn is home to the Serenity Spa which deserves tremendous praise. I treated myself to a massage and a facial. Laura gave me my massage and I have had few massages as SPIRITUAL as this one! Laura not only is a certified masseuse but also has extensive yoga training. She combines both in a massage session. I had the hot oil candle massage for 55 minutes and next time I'm taking the 75 minute one … WORTH EVERY PENNY! This is a massage where you do not speak a word…you simply breathe, listen to the Tibetin Monks and relax. Laura rubs the hot oil candle into your body, manipulates your body and limbs and focused on balancing my energy and I'm telling you it was one of THE BEST massages I have ever had. Kathleen gave me a facial after the massage and Kathleen is a lovely woman, and my facial was wonderful! It has been about a year since I have had a facial and now that I am home I still feel like my face is exhibiting that healthy glow! Despite the coldness indoors I will return to The White House Inn again…hopefully soon.

Room Tip: If you stay in the winter be sure to have a room with a fireplace and extra wood if you stay up late!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Kelly S
Reviewed 6 January 2014

In spite of the cold, we enjoyed another perfect winter weekend at the White House Inn. For the true flavor of Vermont, this historic Inn is the best place to stay. The staff is always friendly, welcoming and very helpful with any request, from vegetarian meals to local attractions. After a great day of skiing, we treated ourselves to hot-stone massages by Laura at the Spa (and the experience was better than Canyon Ranch), then we recovered with an excellent meal in our private dining room with a roaring fireplace. If you are looking for a Marriot, this Inn is not for you, but if you want to stay in a wonderful, rambling, historic and friendly Inn, the White House is not to be missed.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family