“A Beautiful and Cozy Experience”

The White House Inn
Ranked #4 of 10 Wilmington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 January 2009

What a wonderful inn. Their accomodations (rooms, restaurant and relaxing areas) are excellent. First-class service welcomes you to this Vermont charmer. I cannot wait to come back here in warmer weather.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank foxxdance68
There are newer reviews for The White House Inn

Reviewed 13 January 2009

I just returned from a weekend get-away at the White House Inn to my home in LA and what a contrast! If you want to get away from it all with all of the comforts of an elegant home this is the place. Stan Smith, the Innkeeper, could not have been more accomodating and welcoming. The Inn was still decorated for Christmas and everywhere you looked there were lovely signs of the season. From Baxter's Bar to the elegant dining room the Inn was just beautiful. The kitchen was superb. I had breafast twice, once enjoying the perfect blueberry pancakes and then the lobster eggs benedict at Sunday Brunch the next day were just amazing. Dinner on Saturday night I enjoyed the tomato chedder soup and the seafood crepes -- both were excellent. On Saturday night there was a 6 inch dusitng of powder snow -- I felt like I was in a picture post card! My room was lovely -- a fireplace, fabulous four poster bed with down comforter and crisp linen sheets, and a nice bathroom. I can not wait to return in the spring and see this gorgeous property decked in green. I would not change a thing!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank lappletony
Reviewed 7 January 2009

We stayed at the White House Inn for 3 nights and found that for most positives, we found a negative. Overall, this made for a very average stay.

Let me begin by telling you that the staff is very friendly and seem quite happy about where they work. That’s a positive. However, they often fell short of making you feel at home. We arrived early, tired and weary in the middle of a snow storm. As such, we were unable to get our car up the hill to the inn, so we parked at the bottom of the driveway and walked up. We arrived at the Inn and told them we were checking in, we also told them we did not expect them to be ready with our room since we were early. We sat in the bar/lounge area and waited. We were not offered drinks, or a hot cup of coffee as we came in from the storm; we just sat. I asked what time they served lunch, and was told that they don’t. I was told that we were not stranded and that I could take a bus into town. Fair enough, but perhaps they could have offered to check and see if there was something we could snack on… nuts, an apple, etc.

I noticed someone plowing the drive so I figured I’d take another stab at getting the car up. I asked him if he thought I’d be able to get up the hill and he told me that up here, I really should have snow tires… thanks. I couldn’t do it, so I carried the bags up the hill (wondering why no one from the Inn had proactively thought to help me with this). When I got to the top, Eric, one of the staff, offered to try and get our car up. He did a great job, and we were very thankful for his help.

We stayed in room 1. Nice, traditional New England room. Very comfortable. It was quite cold out though, and the room has 2 windows, so we required an additional space heater. Thankfully they’ve thought of that already and there was one in the room.

Awoke in the morning and went to breakfast. The menu says, “Eggs Your Way”. Ok, so my fiancée orders 2 eggs soft boiled. She was told, after the server checked with the chef, that was not a possibility. Really? Egg, pot, water…. Ummm ok. It’s not as though we asked for shirred eggs or something. We moved on.

Sat at the bar for dinner that night. Dan the bartender was great and quite welcoming. We ordered two wines from the by the glass list… one they had and one they were out of. Ok. We ordered 2 dishes, one of them we asked for the sauce on the side. After a long wait we were told that Chef Jeff said he can’t do the sauce on the side. The dish was a schnitzel… really? Can’t do sauce on the side? (no, I’m not some pretentious blowhard know it all foodie. Actually as a career I’ve been a chef at some of the world’s top 5 star hotels, so don’t even try to defend this one). Ok, no problem, I’ll take it normal. Thankfully the dish was tasty, so I didn’t mind so much.

Later that night there was a blown fuse in our room. I went back down to the bar and told Dan. He tried to find someone to help, but there wasn’t really anyone around. About 20 minutes later I came back down to check with him again. At this time there was another employee at the bar with Dan, and from the way he was dressed, I guessed he was Chef Jeff (although I could be very wrong on this). Dan told me that he was unable to find someone to help, but then the chef jumped in and said he’d help find the fuse box. While the chef looked for the fuse box, Dan gathered some more firewood for me just in case. They were both tremendously helpful and very, very nice about the whole thing. Ultimately the found the fuse box, showed me where it was just in case the problem re-occurred in the middle of the night and left a flashlight there for me. Very thoughtful… why couldn’t you be that accommodating with my sauce?

Overall, we had a decent stay. The Inn is nice and the people are lovely. We didn’t have a bad stay, it just wasn’t anything extra special. It’s the little things that turn an average experience into a great one, and it is these little things that White House Inn doesn’t consistently do. I would think that if you’re going to put your name on the Inn (it’s called Stan Smith’s White House Inn), that you’d make a much bigger effort to make your guests feel at home. Then again, perhaps eggs your way really meant eggs Stan’s way.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank underglass
Reviewed 8 December 2008

What a truly special place. We didn't want to leave!!! The innkeeper and staff were absolutely wonderful, the food was exquisite and the inn was beautifully and tastefully decorated for the holidays. Rooms #1 & Suite #2 were recently remodeled and each had its own fireplace - perfect for the cold, snowy weather. Baxter's Bar has a great bar menu (food & drinks) and is cozy and spacious at the same time. The inn has a rich history and the new owner/innkeeper is bringing integrity and lots of love and care to the old manor. You will not be treated better anywhere else!!! My favorite dishes during my brief stay? Blueberry pancakes, pumpkin ginger soup, artichoke bruschetta, tomato puree soup. Can't wait to go back. Bring your friends, family, or that special someone

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank BruinBelle
Reviewed 26 November 2008

My husband and I wanted to add a "romantic" couple of days to a business trip. We looked at another more expensive Inn close by, which we had stayed in 2-3 yeqars ago, instead we decided to try "The Whitehouse Inn ". I can't tell you how happy we were to have made that decision! We were delighted by the lovely staff, the Owner Stan(apparently new), the rehabed rooms and the really wonderful food. Most Inns have one dining room and that's where you're stuck, if there aren't other nice restaurants in the area. We dined in the truly romantic dining room by the the fireplace, had breakfast in an other room and had most of our light meals (and I might add - lots of fun) drinks and snacks at their bar called "Baxters" which has wonderfully cozy atmosphere and a rather large selection of spirits and fine wines. Their special drink is a "Sophie", which is named after the Owner's dog (so is "Baxter's"). We will now be adding on a few days at the Inn, whenever we are on the east coast. You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lbinder
Reviewed 22 November 2008

I chose the White House from pictures on their website, and was a little anxious when I arrived. You never really know how well reality will match professional pictures. Whatever concerns I had faded instantly when I saw this property. Stunning. Probably about the most impossibly romantic place I've ever seen. I'm sure you're looking at pictures of it, so I don't need to describe it. Let me just mention one thing: scale. You just can't get a sense of this place's massive presence from the pictures. If you're looking for a Bed and Breakfast, this is the wrong place. Even though it used to be a private residence, it really feels more like a hotel from a bygone era. Very spacious, genteel and gracious. This is the kind of place that soaks peace and rest into weary bones. It absolutely melted my heart.

I have good news about Wilmington, and I have bad news: the bad news is that there's not much to do. The good news is there's not much to do, except relax and soak up this inn. Given my state of mind and body when I arrived, it was perfect for me.

The staff was efficient, pleasant and competent. They were there when I needed them, and invisible when I didn't. My room was well-appointed and spotless. [Quick aside: these rooms all have their own bathrooms, unlike a typical B&B.]

Baxter's Bar was easily my favorite space in the whole inn. The bar itself is gorgeous mahogany, and the furnishings are incredibly comfy overstuffed leather. (Think Ralph Lauren takes a country holiday) I doubt there's any drink that Joey the bartender couldn't make, and they have a lovely assortment of scotch, vodka, whiskey and just about anything else you could ask for. Their wine list is ridiculous. You would never expect a country inn to have much to choose from, but their wine list is extensive. When I couldn't stop expressing my amazement, Joey took me into the bowels of this old inn to see their wine cellar. It was easily 500 square feet stuffed floor to ceiling with wine, representing the best of France, California, Italy, Australia and Chile.

I ate in their restaurant three of the four nights I was there. Again, I was shocked to find this level of cusine available in such a country backwater. I can highly recommend the Chicken Barbara (very lemony and fresh, and beautiful on the plate) and the Chicken Schnitzel. I NEVER get scallops in restaurants I don't know well, because it's rare for a casual cook to get them right. They're either overcooked and ruined, or they're mushy and bland. After my experience the first two nights, my confidence was buoyed, so I mustered up my courage and gave them a shot. Chef Jeff nailed it. Perfect slightly crunchy crust on the outside, and sweet, tender-but-firm interior. Outstanding. I discovered that if you take a later seating, it's likely that Chef will come out and talk to you about your meal, and what you should order the next evening. It sounded to me like all my waiters had tried everything on the menu, but I just found it much more enlightening to get the skinny straight from the chef.

Their desserts are all made by their sous chef on the premises. I tried the pear spice cake (very good), the carrot cake, and the almond chocolate layer cake (my favorite). And yes, I am very well fed. They also make cheesecake, which I didn't try.

Stan, the owner, understands hospitality well. He's a recent tansplant from California, where he retired from the real estate business in Beverly Hills. I found him very warm and gracious. It seemed like he took a personal interest in every aspect of our experience, took pains to make sure our stay was wonderful. It was, and I'm looking forward to my next trip there. I'm hoping for the fall high-color season next fall.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CohibaOrangeCounty
Reviewed 18 September 2008

Our first visit to Vermont was perfect as a result of staying at The White House. From the time we arrived -until to the time we left, the staff and owner could not have been more welcoming & friendly. It was as though I had been there before or was staying at the home of a friend or family member. Unfortunately, the week blew by. This place is everything you imagine it to be. We have stayed at several Inns over the years,but this one is unique. The service, food & care were all excellent.
Upon our first night while dining at the Inn, the owner, Stan, made it a point to come over and introduce himself to us & welcome us to the Inn. Stan made a wonderful impression upon my wife and I , which really just set the wonderful tone for our vacation.
Thank you so much to everyone at the Inn, you made our anniversary really special!!!
See you at Thanksgiving!!!! Wouldn't miss it.
Richard & Michelle.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
Old Red Mill
Snow Goose Inn
Snow Goose Inn
#5 of 12 in Dover
Grand Summit Resort Hotel

Been to The White House Inn? Share your experiences!