“Perfect Winter Getaway....just 20 minutes from Mount Snow”

The White House Inn
Ranked #3 of 10 Wilmington B&B and Inns
New York
“Perfect Winter Getaway....just 20 minutes from Mount Snow”
Reviewed 21 March 2009

This was an absolutely beautiful Vermont B&B. We loved it so much, we went back a month after our first visit. The Inn is a large old mansion that has has been well tended to by Stan, the owner. The cocktails are tasty and the meals are even better. We had breakfast and dinner there every day and enjoyed it immensely. The blueberry pancakes are a must have for breakfast and the mushroom ravioli in truffle butter for dinner is reason enough to go back.

The rooms were lovely. We stayed in room 13 and room 2. Room 13 had a fireplace and a nice loft. It was a cozy place to spend a weekend. Room 2 was a two room suite. It had a lovely sitting area with a fireplace and a large bedroom, which had been recently renovated. Room 13 was in the back of the house and was nice and quiet. Room 2 was in the front of the house, just steps from the staircase to the main floor.

The Inn itself was room after room of relaxation. The guest rooms did not have tvs, but there was a large screen tv in the basement. It was a great place to sit by the fire and watch the NFL playoffs. There was also a pool and a few pieces of fitness equipment. There were magazines, a computer, and board games.

The grounds looked beautiful covered in snow, but I could imagine it would be lovely during the summer or fall foliage season. Room 2 even had a nice balcony to be used during the summer months.

The Inn is in Wilmington which is about a 20 minute drive from Mount Snow ski mountain. Wilmington is a lovely little town. It has a few other inns and restaurants.

I would highly recommend that anyone stay here. It was a lovely experience that we treasured both times we visited. The accommodations, the service, the food, the drinks, the general hospitality...everything was wonderful. It was a perfect vacation.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Pismo Beach, California
Reviewed 1 February 2009

This property is like going back to Gone With The Wind. What a wonderful place. The place goes on and on, it seems hugh. The livingroom is grand, Baxter's bar is reminisent of an English Pub. The rooms with a fireplace, how cozy is that. The owner is a great plus. The staff are very gracious.
I would love to return as soon as possible.
Judy Beirne

• Liked — Steping back in time
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank SpyglassTehachapi
Reviewed 1 February 2009

The White House Inn took us back to a time of gentile, classy, elegance. Rest came sweet and easy as we relished the down-filled mattress pads and pillows, priceless antiques and paintings-which set the stage for days reminiscent of Jane Austin and the grandeur of Pride and Prejudice.
The White House Inn is one of the few historic gems on this planet which haven't seen the "renovator’s heavy, destructive hand." Authentic, French wall paper line the Grand Hall and original French chandeliers and sconces preserve historical believably.
As for the food-I wouldn't leave until the chef shared a few "secret" recipes.

• Liked — Historic elegance
  • Disliked — stairs
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank moremountains
Ogden, Utah
Reviewed 27 January 2009

What a wonderful inn. Their accomodations (rooms, restaurant and relaxing areas) are excellent. First-class service welcomes you to this Vermont charmer. I cannot wait to come back here in warmer weather.

• Liked — The sheets and towels. Ubersoft!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank foxxdance68
Reviewed 13 January 2009

I just returned from a weekend get-away at the White House Inn to my home in LA and what a contrast! If you want to get away from it all with all of the comforts of an elegant home this is the place. Stan Smith, the Innkeeper, could not have been more accomodating and welcoming. The Inn was still decorated for Christmas and everywhere you looked there were lovely signs of the season. From Baxter's Bar to the elegant dining room the Inn was just beautiful. The kitchen was superb. I had breafast twice, once enjoying the perfect blueberry pancakes and then the lobster eggs benedict at Sunday Brunch the next day were just amazing. Dinner on Saturday night I enjoyed the tomato chedder soup and the seafood crepes -- both were excellent. On Saturday night there was a 6 inch dusitng of powder snow -- I felt like I was in a picture post card! My room was lovely -- a fireplace, fabulous four poster bed with down comforter and crisp linen sheets, and a nice bathroom. I can not wait to return in the spring and see this gorgeous property decked in green. I would not change a thing!

• Liked — The elegant and comfortable ambience and location.
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank lappletony
boston
Reviewed 7 January 2009

We stayed at the White House Inn for 3 nights and found that for most positives, we found a negative. Overall, this made for a very average stay.

Let me begin by telling you that the staff is very friendly and seem quite happy about where they work. That’s a positive. However, they often fell short of making you feel at home. We arrived early, tired and weary in the middle of a snow storm. As such, we were unable to get our car up the hill to the inn, so we parked at the bottom of the driveway and walked up. We arrived at the Inn and told them we were checking in, we also told them we did not expect them to be ready with our room since we were early. We sat in the bar/lounge area and waited. We were not offered drinks, or a hot cup of coffee as we came in from the storm; we just sat. I asked what time they served lunch, and was told that they don’t. I was told that we were not stranded and that I could take a bus into town. Fair enough, but perhaps they could have offered to check and see if there was something we could snack on… nuts, an apple, etc.

I noticed someone plowing the drive so I figured I’d take another stab at getting the car up. I asked him if he thought I’d be able to get up the hill and he told me that up here, I really should have snow tires… thanks. I couldn’t do it, so I carried the bags up the hill (wondering why no one from the Inn had proactively thought to help me with this). When I got to the top, Eric, one of the staff, offered to try and get our car up. He did a great job, and we were very thankful for his help.

We stayed in room 1. Nice, traditional New England room. Very comfortable. It was quite cold out though, and the room has 2 windows, so we required an additional space heater. Thankfully they’ve thought of that already and there was one in the room.

Awoke in the morning and went to breakfast. The menu says, “Eggs Your Way”. Ok, so my fiancée orders 2 eggs soft boiled. She was told, after the server checked with the chef, that was not a possibility. Really? Egg, pot, water…. Ummm ok. It’s not as though we asked for shirred eggs or something. We moved on.

Sat at the bar for dinner that night. Dan the bartender was great and quite welcoming. We ordered two wines from the by the glass list… one they had and one they were out of. Ok. We ordered 2 dishes, one of them we asked for the sauce on the side. After a long wait we were told that Chef Jeff said he can’t do the sauce on the side. The dish was a schnitzel… really? Can’t do sauce on the side? (no, I’m not some pretentious blowhard know it all foodie. Actually as a career I’ve been a chef at some of the world’s top 5 star hotels, so don’t even try to defend this one). Ok, no problem, I’ll take it normal. Thankfully the dish was tasty, so I didn’t mind so much.

Later that night there was a blown fuse in our room. I went back down to the bar and told Dan. He tried to find someone to help, but there wasn’t really anyone around. About 20 minutes later I came back down to check with him again. At this time there was another employee at the bar with Dan, and from the way he was dressed, I guessed he was Chef Jeff (although I could be very wrong on this). Dan told me that he was unable to find someone to help, but then the chef jumped in and said he’d help find the fuse box. While the chef looked for the fuse box, Dan gathered some more firewood for me just in case. They were both tremendously helpful and very, very nice about the whole thing. Ultimately the found the fuse box, showed me where it was just in case the problem re-occurred in the middle of the night and left a flashlight there for me. Very thoughtful… why couldn’t you be that accommodating with my sauce?

Overall, we had a decent stay. The Inn is nice and the people are lovely. We didn’t have a bad stay, it just wasn’t anything extra special. It’s the little things that turn an average experience into a great one, and it is these little things that White House Inn doesn’t consistently do. I would think that if you’re going to put your name on the Inn (it’s called Stan Smith’s White House Inn), that you’d make a much bigger effort to make your guests feel at home. Then again, perhaps eggs your way really meant eggs Stan’s way.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank underglass
Reviewed 8 December 2008

What a truly special place. We didn't want to leave!!! The innkeeper and staff were absolutely wonderful, the food was exquisite and the inn was beautifully and tastefully decorated for the holidays. Rooms #1 & Suite #2 were recently remodeled and each had its own fireplace - perfect for the cold, snowy weather. Baxter's Bar has a great bar menu (food & drinks) and is cozy and spacious at the same time. The inn has a rich history and the new owner/innkeeper is bringing integrity and lots of love and care to the old manor. You will not be treated better anywhere else!!! My favorite dishes during my brief stay? Blueberry pancakes, pumpkin ginger soup, artichoke bruschetta, tomato puree soup. Can't wait to go back. Bring your friends, family, or that special someone

• Liked — Comfortable king bed w/high thread sheet count, fireplace in the suite
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank BruinBelle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
Old Red Mill
Grand Summit Resort Hotel
The Hermitage Inn
The Hermitage Inn
#6 of 12 in Dover

Been to The White House Inn? Share your experiences!