“A perfect stay”

Ranked #2 of 10 Wilmington B&B and Inns
Rochester, Minnesota, USA
“A perfect stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

My first trip to Vermont and I couldn't have chosen a more perfect place to stay. From the first contact with the Nutmeg Inn to book the trip, their service was extraordinary. They were helpful in choosing an airport that would meet my needs and the driving directions were clear and easy to follow. When you step into the Inn you are welcomed not only by the excellent staff but the inviting and comfortable space. Breakfast was another example of excellence. The 3 choices were each delicious. If you can't try all 3 I would definitely agree with other reviewers that the french toast is top notch. Doug, Geo, and all the staff made this an amazing experience. Looking forward to my next trip to the Nutmeg Inn!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank MJ D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

My wife and I just made our first trip to Vermont for a mini-family reunion and stayed at the Nutmeg Inn. We can't say enough about the welcoming atmosphere and very pleasant staff(not to mention the French Toast). With it being our first time, we had a lot of questions about where to eat, what to do, where to shop and everyone was there to help with great recommendations. During the day and at night, we wanted to gather as a family so we could catch up and reminisce, and there were plenty of great areas available both inside and outside the Inn. The complimentary glass of wine at Happy Hour is a great touch that we took advantage of every night. We hope to come back in the Winter so we can hit the slopes at Mount Snow.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeff S
Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

We stayed at the Nutmeg Coutry Inn at the very end of June, and couldn't have been happier (except that we only had time for 1 night). The owners obviously put a lot of care into every detail, and it shows. The place is spotless, quiet, peaceful. The style is clear from the pictures others have posted - the quintessential, small VT inn: perfectly refurbished old house with typical New England extensions added over the years, lots of fireplaces (must be really nice in the winter), old wide floorboards, a large quiet room with a really comfortable king size bed, overlooking very well maintained grounds. Funky and chic it ain't, but that's not what you'd come here for. Breakfast (included) is right on target (Geo, one of the owners, is the cook) - we had the omelet and french toast, with bacon and sausage, really good coffee. There was a large family reunion also booked at the Inn at the same time, and we never felt crowded out or unimportant (and never heard the other guests at night). Doug, the other owner, and the people at the front dest are very friendly and helpful, without overdoing it. Even after hours, they were available to help us turn down the A/C - at some small inns, you're on your own after hours. Wilmington itself is a sweet little town, still recovering from Hurricane Irene in Oct 2011 (Doug will tell you about it), but coming back with lots of small shops, galleries, restaurants, lakes, hiking trails - and a perfect distance from NYC or Boston for an easy night or 2 away. Hard to imagine a better find in Southern Vermont.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

I'm still relatively new to the whole B&B phenomena, but I'm all-in if this is what the rest are like.

The rooms are quaint, with 18th century-inspired decor, and the room I stayed in boasted a "wow-this-feels-like-home" vibe. The beds, however, aren't stiff, backbreaking ones I'm used to at home -- in fact, they're soft, fluffy and just downright comfortable. Also, in typical Bostonian fashion, I couldn't be without my standard amenities, meaning cable to watch the Sox game, and high-speed internet to keep in touch with the rest of the world. Surprisingly, I got both, whew!

The service was excellent as well. Since my GPS took me to the wrong part of town (apparently almost all of these do, according to one of the owners, Doug), I called and got friendly and easy-to-follow directions to get my directionally-challenged behind to the front door. Also, since I was in town for Mudder weekend (yeah, I ran and kicked butt too!) I got a chance to sit and chat with the owners and other Mudders with a free glass of Chardonnay (whiskey, or perhaps diesel fuel may have been more testosterone-y, but hey, I'm not one to turn down free alcohol.

And oh, the breakfast. French toast to die for. I'm a french-toast buff, and Nutmeg's is right up there with the best I've had. Crispy on the outside, and custardy on the inside. I'm getting hungry thinking of it right now, don't judge me.

Since Nutmeg's just a 10-15 drive from Mount Snow, I think I've found my permanent lodging for future ski trips and Tough Mudder weekends.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank lansdowne24
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the Nutmeg Country Inn on a trip we took last weekend to Southern Vermont. Doug and Geo more than deserve the plethora of five-star ratings which they have received for their wonderful establishment.

Whatever your concept of excellent service may be, I think you will find it matched by Doug and Geo along with their masterful staff. These two gentlemen possess a great love for what they do. Talk to them for just a few minutes, and you'll know this to be true. I think that being in love with what you do is the most important component of doing anything well. If I see the passion, I can forgive most other things that may fall short. In the case of the Nutmeg Country Inn, nothing falls short. That may be because, in addition to the passion that Doug and Geo bring to their business, they bring a wealth of talent combined with experience from years of professional success both in the bed and breakfast industry and in others, not the least of which, I should point out, is the world of fine art and design. A quick tour of the inn, and you get the immediate sense (even before you might find yourself asking Doug and Geo to share their life stories) that you have placed yourself in the care of artists whose creative talents equal, if not exceed, their acumen for client service.

My wife and I enjoyed our elegant bedroom which had an adjoining suite with a glass sliding door leading out to the expansive garden and foot trails belonging to the inn. Our bathroom was spacious and had attractive, well-positioned lighting. It didn't hurt that there was a jacuzzi bathtub either. Our room was such a comfortable and aesthetic environment that we had to push ourselves to go out and tour the area as planned rather than just stay put.

Our breakfasts were excellent--absolutely delicious. Your choice of breakfast and time during which to have it are planned a day in advance, so that upon sitting down at your table the next morning, your food is just a minute away from being served and seconds away from having been made.

When we did venture away from the inn, it was easy to navigate our way around. The inn is located a few minutes' walk from Wilmington's main strip, and getting to Brattleboro is a straight shot through scenic environs. And when it was time to go home, getting to the interstate was easy as pie.

There's nothing quite like meeting people with talent AND great personalities--an enriching combination that puts a smile on your face when you encounter it and makes you feel lucky in that moment. Geo and Doug are just great people, committed to making you happy. And the people with whom they surround themselves bear that same wonderful characteristic of niceness and professionalism. Thank you, Geo and Doug, for our wonderful stay at the Nutmeg Country Inn, and we can say with great confidence that we won't be strangers!

5 Thank IntergalacticHobo
Dallas, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

Lovely setting! The bed could have been more comfortable. Breakfast was well presented but the choices limited to waffles, omelets and French toast. I could have asked for cereal I guess but didn't. We were treated very well with charm and warmth. Couldn't go around though since it had just rained. Will definitely return.

Cortland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

We were 3 couple on motorcycles, when one of the guys got sick. By chance we pulled into the Nutmeg Inn. What a stroke of luck. Doug and Geo took us all in. Our friend had to go the hospital in the ambulance, and they had genuine concern for our friend. They checked in on us constantly to comfort us and tell us that Bennington had a top notch hospital. Our friend ended up in ICU at Albany,NY hospital. Doug showed up at our room door that evening and handed us the keys to their car in case we needed it to get to the hospital that night because it was pouring down rain. The rooms were so comfortable, the breakfast fantastic, the atmosphere cozy. The owners and staff though, were above and beyond. This is where we will be when go back.There is a sitting room outside of the bedrooms which is wonderful when traveling with others They also give you a complimentary glass of wine at 5 which we needed after our experience. Don't hesitate to pull in.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Darlene F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
The Wilmington Inn
Grand Summit Resort Hotel
West Dover Inn
West Dover Inn
#5 of 12 in Dover

Been to The Nutmeg? Share your experiences!