“Exactly what I wanted”
Review of The Nutmeg

The Nutmeg
Ranked #2 of 10 Wilmington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I was looking for a nice winter weekend away. And I found it with Nutmeg Inn. The selling point for me was a wood burning fireplace. My two friends and I stayed in room 11. It was a two bedroom suite with a bathroom and living room. The first night a staffer lit the fireplace, the second night I did it myself as the kindling and logs were already in place.
There was wonderful heat at the Inn. There was also a fireplace in the main living room/bar area.
My friends and I bought a bottle of wine at the bar and took it up to our room.
There was interesting art all through the house including the most interesting chinese children rockers in the dining room. There were also some nice views throught the windows of the snowy landscape..
The breakfast was very delicious, although it was a bit limited in choices. Frittatas, French toast and waffles, all with sausage or bacon, orange juice and coffee- delicious coffee I might add.
But of course we know that the staff makes the vacation and every one of the staff (and owner) were lovely.They also sell maple syrup in case you need a gift. I definitely would come back.

Room Tip: Room 11 is a suite, with two bedrooms-wonderful beds, a bathroom and a living room with a wood burni...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed here for one night and wish it could have been longer! We first got a tour of the 18th century house before being escorted to cozy Room 7, which is perfect for two people. Other rooms are bigger with beautiful fireplaces. The lounge is cozy with a toasty fireplace and wine is $2.99. Breakfast was delicious and is included. Don't bother with overpriced mountain lodging; the nutmeg is 10minutes from mount snow and one minute from Wilmington and well worth the short drive.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Mizzemm
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Doug and Gio are incredibly warm, engaging inn owners. Their love of old houses coupled with years of experience in the business make this little inn a true success! The inn is conveniently located walking distance to Wilmington and all its shops and restaurants (just need to walk up on the lawns around the first blind curve). It's also a great home base if you're hitting Mt Snow during the day.

The inn itself is an interesting mix of Gio's very modern paintings, old Mexican ceramics and a frilly, country style décor. It seems to work though, and the building itself is beautifully restored with low beamed ceilings and a big fireplace. I was the only one staying at the inn, but I could imagine this common room would be a great place to mingle and hang out. My room was small but comfortable with a wood burning fireplace. The tv in the room was tiny but worked well. Breakfast was excellent, and Doug and Gio were wonderful company while I ate.

The only reason I'm giving 4 starts and not 5, is that the woman at the front desk made a big deal of my traveling as a single woman. Having recently gone through a break-up, her comments seemed very unprofessional. Other than that, my stay was wonderful and I hope to be back again!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank efvet
Reviewed 24 January 2014

This is a total JEM, wonderful owners and stuff. We did not want to leave this place, was so cozy and beautiful. Thank you for delicious wine near fireplace. Breakfast was amazing. We will be back for sure and hopefully for longer.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank NastyaSashaIgor
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We felt welcome from the moment we walked in the front door on Christmas evening. (The inn was already inviting from the outside, beautifully lit, with plenty of parking to the side of the inn.) The interior could not have been more charming. Wendy (at the front desk) was friendly without being intrusive, with helpful advice and a warm smile. We met Doug, one of the co-owners, when we came down for our morning coffee the next day, and he could not have been nicer. Breakfast was terrific all three mornings we were there. Definitely a place to come back to!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Edmund C
Reviewed 9 January 2014

My wife and I returned to the Nutmeg Inn following a two year hiatus and wondered why we don't book a couple of trips a year in advance. This has to be the most relaxing, comfortable location in northern New England. Doug & Geo are very accommodating, the inn is absolutely charming and welcoming, and there is nothing to do but enjoy your time. ........and breakfast is delicious. We recommend the Nutmeg Country Inn without reservation, but we'll be sure to make one to be certain we don't miss out. It is a truly enjoyable experience from beginning to end.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We spent 3 nights in early January. Couldn't have had a better experience! The Inn is stunning, very clean (and we are picky!), a wonderful, welcoming staff that we loved and the breakfast is amazing! Our thought when leaving was "Too bad we didn't have a Nutmeg Inn where ever our travels brought us (staff included!) because we would always want to stay there!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jane P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
Old Red Mill
7 mi away
Cooper Hill Inn
Cooper Hill Inn
#9 of 12 in Dover

Been to The Nutmeg? Share your experiences!