“Great Bang for your Buck”
Review of Viking Motel

and 1 more site!
Viking Motel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Wilmington
Upstate NY
“Great Bang for your Buck”
Reviewed 10 February 2010

This place was great. Chose it for two reasons- the low room price and because it was very close to Mount Snow (10-12 minutes.) While this isn't a ritzy hotel, the rooms were perfect- a coffemaker and individual packets of coffee, sugar and tea were included. The bathroom was a little weird and the remote to the TV was visibly broken, but still worked.

The owners are VERY nice and accomodating. Also- be advised that the resteraunt attached to the motel hasn't been open for years, even though it is still set up- right down to the buffet tables and table cloths on the tables. That's fine though, because there are a few resteraunts up and down the road and right across the street there's a gas station that sells a ton of (surprisingly) sandwiches and other snacky things.

I would DEFINETLY come back here! It was certainly the center of a great Vermont get away.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 January 2010

We had to leave our ski house for other reasons so we called and made reservations here at the Viking Motel. The rates were very reasonable for the area but once we got to the room, it smelled of mold and stale smoke (even though it was a non-smoking room). At around 6am each morning (I'm guessing that's when the room next to us got up), the water pipes were loud from next door showering.

If money is an issue, this is the place to stay -- otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beachbum13_traveler

Travellers are raving about these Wilmington hotels

Granville, NY
Reviewed 15 March 2009

Whenever I travel, I always look for the best value I can find. Being born in the country, I don't expect the Ritz when I go to Vermont. After staying at the Viking various times over the years, it makes me wonder if some of the other reviewers here forgot where they were (or maybe have some ax to grind).
The Viking is charming Vermont accomodations, the hosts are extremely friendly, the rooms have always been clean and the beds fresh, and the location is within walking distance of everything Wilmington has to offer, a step out the door to statewide snowmobile trails, and only a short drive to ski areas, lakes, and hiking trails.
In summary, if you expect Vermont you'll get it. If you expect big city luxury, stay home!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 15 July 2008

The Ritz Carlton, it is not. Hell, the Holiday Inn, it is not. But! For a quick weekend away, the Viking is perfectly fine. My hubby and I were in charming WIlmington for a friend's wedding and lured by 75$ a night, we got exactly what we paid for. Sure, the mattress was covered in vinyl, but somehow that made me feel better - and the multiple layers of sheets were clean and bug-free and muted that tell-tale crinkly sound when we shifted in our sleep. The list of laminate rules on the bedstand said 'this place has seen its fair share of rowdy skiiers and partiers.' My favorite? "No cooking in room. This includes microwave and hot plate." Neither of which the room was equipped with so enough people brought their own that this rule needed to be explicitly stated. Finally, the garden and flower boxes are beautiful and a hot dog truck makes its home in the parking lot. You can walk to town and stumble home, and if you've tried hard enough, by the end of a wedding, the crinkly sheets won't seem like that big of a deal.

• Liked — Walking distance to town
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2006

This motel seemed OK to me and we certainly didn't experience any of the problems harkwark did below. The rooms were clean and comfortable but nothing to write home about.

The only issue we did have was that when we arrived the owner had no record of our booking. This wasn't a problem as she had an empty room, but it would have been in a busier period so I'd suggest getting written confirmation if you book by phone as we did.

• Liked — Good value for location
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure you get written confirmation of your booking
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank RJB21
NY
Reviewed 13 March 2006

March 2006, we stayed at The Viking Motel. Like, The Old Red Mill Inn down the road, this offers affordable accomodations. However, unlike the Old Red Mill Inn, The Viking lacks on cleanliness. The bathroom had cob-webs on the ceiling, dirt on the floor and mold growing everywhere! The bed had some long black strands of hair; I am a blond and my husband has short hair. This place has so much potential. It's a cute motel with a front courtyard and it was quiet while we were there for two nights. It's just a shame that it is so filthy. I was unable to see anyone in the office as we were leaving, (a day earlier, I should add) so I e-mailed them. I received no acknowledgement. It's too bad, really, because this can be easily corrected, if someone paid attention. I would say to anyone looking for affordable lodging to bypass The Viking and stay at The Old Red Mill Inn where the rooms are much smaller, but they are very very clean! I might add that the locals rolled their eyes and laughed when we told them where we were staying.

2 Thank harkwark
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
No photo provided
#2 of 10 in Wilmington
The Wilmington Inn
The Wilmington Inn
#1 of 10 in Wilmington

Been to Viking Motel? Share your experiences!