“Awful Customer Service” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 10 Wilmington B&B and Inns
CT
“Awful Customer Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2006

Dreadful, passive agressive, disappears when there is a need. Never again, next time we ski, we will stay else where.

Stayed February 2006
8 Thank reya

Business
Arlington, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2006

My husband and I stayed here for a night with our dog, while we spent a day skiing at Mt Snow. We found the place charming, and a great retreat from the city. It was nice to be in a place where we could reconnect with nature.
Rooms were clean and cosy. They have very informal atmosphere, with a den where you can watch movies play board games, a table tennis table indoors, cosy common living area, and a quaint dining area where you can see the innkeeper cooking!
Food was excellent, nothing prepackaged, or out of a tin or freezer here. All fresh and homemade.
There were very few guests during the time we were there, so it felt like a nice quiet and private place.
It was great that it was a pet friendly place, because we didn't have to bother with dropping our dog off at a kennel etc. We just brought her with us, and I think she enjoyed the woods very much.

• Stayed February 2006
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank anti-stress
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2005

We spent two nights there and it was a colossal waste of money and caused us much stress. Vicky, met us @ the door asking us to pay in advance. When we made our reservation we were told we could expect a light supper upon arrival. We were never offered the meal, and when we asked for it we were told by the teenage son that he would have to ask his mother. His mother, Vicky, never responded to our request. Ok, so we piled back into our car, after a 4 hour trip, and went into Wilmington for supper.

While I was fetching some tea for myself, Vicki complained to me about having a large group that was checking in, and how this was going to be so much work for her, and how she regretted this. She seemed very overwhelmed and stressed out.

The rooms were in need of some upkeep, paint chipping, broken lamp shades, etc. The view is gorgeous of Mount Snow, and breakfast was delicious but the family was overall unhappy, overwhelmed and not all that interested in hospitalty.

We love the Wilmington area, but would NEVER give the current Inn-keepers @ Quail Run repeat business.

Stayed September 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, owner at Inn at Quail Run, responded to this review, 24 October 2005
I have no idea which guest this might be. I always collect their money at check out, but have been told by those in the industry that we should collect up front. I have not found a polite way of doing this, so continue to collect at check out. I had non stop guests in September. There were 4 craft retreats back to back, at which I prepared 3 meals a day for everyone. During the winter I provide a check in supper at an additional fee. Had anyone asked for dinner, I certainly had plenty to accomodate them. I am sorry they felt I was surly. I guess I can't please everyone. I would love to be given an opportunity to turn this guest's opinion around.

Travellers are raving about these Wilmington hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2005

My family has had the pleasure of staying at this Inn twice this ski season. The Innkeepers family makes you feel welcome the moment you walk in the door. While we skied, Victoria would tend to my elderly mother. SHe fed her lunch and spent time talking with her.
Unfortunately, during our last stay there, my mother had a heart attack. Victoria took care of our daughter while I went with my mother to the hospital. My mother died. We stayed at the Inn and Victoria did everything she could to help us plan the funeral and even offered a special rate for out of town guests.
We have only compliments about how we were treated. THe food there is always great, but the way this family went above and beyond in our time of need was astounding. We consider Victoria our angel.
Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed March 2005
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2005

There is an Inn in a small Vermont town, near Haystack Mt., that caters to people and pets to a degree rarely, if ever, found these days. The Innkeepers, Victoria and Ray, along with their four children, 3 dogs, 7 or 8 or maybe 9 llamas (!), one pool, hot tub, large TV and reading room and a mostly glass, great view, breakfast porch have created an ambience that makes one wonder if the year is 2005 or, maybe, somehow, we really have traveled back in time to a gentle and giving place.

I travel often, and sometimes even to 5 star hotels...and while 5* major hotels and country inns are like comparing apples to oranges, in my opinion, the hotels can't begin to compare with the warmth and "real people" comfort -- and continued welcoming attitude -- that I found at Quail Run. These people go the extra mile and then some.

You will feel contentedly stuffed after a gourmet breakfast, and if you come with your dog, they can be cared for by one of the kids while you eat, or you can have them run off some steam in a large fenced in area shared with their well mannered lab and husky.

The rooms are spacious and clean, and adorably decorated with quilts and old fashioned curtains. Each has a television and private bath. Prices are reasonable and include the breakfast, afternoon baked goodies, and being treated like a special visiting relative who everyone wants to be sure has a wonderful time.

I can't rave enough about this Inn...I will be back !

6 Thank LoveTheInnLife
West Newton, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2005

Spent New Year's weekend 2004 (2 nights) and would never go back. Only about half of the inn's 13 rooms were occupied. Our group rented 2 rooms and 1 suite for 4 adults and 4 kids aged 8 to 14.

The current owners, Ray & Vicki Lawhorne have reportedly owned the inn for about 1 1/2 years, but they were the most inhospitable innkeepers we've ever encountered. The office was a disgusting mess with papers and junk piled up 2 to 3 feet high. We were greeted by their inattentive teenage daughter who acted as though we were bothering her when we asked for a rollaway cot that had been requested upon making the reservation. Vicki was downright surly and Ray never engaged guests in any conversation at all.

Vicki complained when we ate cheese & crackers with our wine in the guest living room, saying "If I came to your house I would not eat in your living room." This was an interesting comment considering she put out homemade cookies and chocolates in the same room every day! Most of the time, the innkeepers stayed behind closed doors and when assistance was requested they behaved as though we were imposing on them.

The gathering room is lovely with a large stone fireplace. However, they preferred to keep the gas fireplace turned off. The dining room also has a nice stone fireplace, but again, they refused to light a fire, despite having an ample supply of wood right in the room.

The custom outdoor spa/jacuzzi is very plain and uninviting with access through a bulkhead door from a basement TV/game room. The sauna is not in operation because it's being used to store automobile tires. The in-room televisions are only 12 or 13 inch models. The animals (llamas, chickens, dogs) are kept in a decrepit shed with a small pen and didn't appear to be well cared for.

This was a very unfortunate experience as the location is nice with good views of Mt. Snow, breakfast was delicious with many choices and the guest rooms we saw were nicely decorated. However, the suite is no bargain as both rooms are small and connected by the bathroom.

12 Thank Raybomaui
, Owner at Inn at Quail Run, responded to this review, 24 October 2005
I must write in response to this review. Wow! What an interpretation of what actually happened. These guests arrived with an additional person than what was expected. They demanded a rollaway be put into the suite, even though there was a bed big enough for both boys. The child (lower fee) turned out to be a teen and he brought a friend. I offered them a room at a discoun, rather than crowding them into the suite, but they declined. I would turn the gas fireplace off when i retired at night for safety. They would relight it, and were very upset if I turned it off after they lit it.
As far as eating in the living room- they were ordering in BBQ and Pizza. They were all gathered around on the oriental rug, with children, eating, and i simply asked, if they were eating dinner in to feel free to use the dining room, as I did not want them eating dinner in the living room. I did have to clean up the dining room again after them to be prepared for breakfast , but it was better than having to clean the rugs.
They proceeded to light the fireplace in the dining room. This is a wood burning fireplace, and we only light it during breakfast, since the dining room is closed after breakfast. My son walked through the room, and they saw him looking , so they asked if it were okay. He said he would ask us, but that usually we only light it at breakfast. If it is windy we do not light it as the room fills up with smoke.
They tried to take over the Inn, and disregarded all rules. They didn't even check out, but left a note to bill them. Then they disputed the charge for the additional person they brought.
They are definitely not the typical guest here. Usually my guests are a joy. I think we just got off to a bad start, and it went down hill from there.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
Snow Lake Lodge
The Wilmington Inn
The Wilmington Inn
#1 of 10 in Wilmington
Grand Summit Resort Hotel

Been to Inn at Quail Run? Share your experiences!