“"Inn Heaven"”

Add it.
Inn at Quail Run
Ranked #8 of 10 Wilmington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 March 2007

A place we definitely would like to visit again. Upon arrival, we opened the door to a warm, comforting atmosphere, a fire burning in the fireplace of a large, spacious living room. On the table were fresh homemade cookies, chocolates and delicious white chocolate dipped popcorn. The owner, Victoria and family were very pleasant and made us feel very welcome at their Inn. Our room was very nice, with a view of the mountains. We even had a gas fireplace to enjoy in the privacy of our room. The breakfasts were incredible, both the menu selection as well as the daily special. If you have never had Creme Brulee French Toast, it's a must have. All the selections were tempting, one dish better than the next. The Service was excellent, sitting at a table in a closed in porch looking out at the beautiful snow covered mountainside while we ate our breakfast. The other guests were equally as friendly, as Victoria made everyone feel at home. If you are looking for a place that is away from the noisy hotel scene, and prefer the comforts of home, this is the place for you. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and wish it could have lasted longer. The times we spent sitting and relaxing by the fire talking to Victoria and other guests was very enjoyable. We will definitely recommend this B & B to family and friends.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 December 2006

Stayed at the inn under the previous owners, who were not happy campers. Thought I'd give the inn a try under the present owners and never got past the reservation phone call. The previous review mentioning surly hits it right on the head. A surprising number of innkeepers just don't have the people skills to be in the business. I think they just want to live in the country and be left alone. A somewhat hidden location a ways up a dirt road doesn't allow for any drive by business.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled solo
8  Thank 06902
Reviewed 5 September 2006

My sister was married in Wilmington this past weekend. Victoria, the owner of Quail Run, along with her husband and children, was the most accomodating hostess I have ever encountered. The three day weekend was overshadowed by rain and much cooler than expected weather. A Saturday night cook out with square dancing was planned to be held in the meadow at Quail Run. After everyone had eaten under a tent, Victoria invited all 90+ of us to come into the Inn and make ourselves at home! Then, in an unprecedented jesture of kindness, she allowed her lounge furniture to be moved aside and square dancing to take place inside! In addition to all of this, the rooms were great and the breakfast excellent. The Lawthorne family made everyone of us who were staying there, and we had taken all 14 rooms, feel very much at home. They are a lovely family and everyone was courteous and accomodating far beyond what could be considered required. The property is quite beautiful and I hope to return for a sunnier stay some day.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2006

Dreadful, passive agressive, disappears when there is a need. Never again, next time we ski, we will stay else where.

Stayed: February 2006
8  Thank reya
Reviewed 5 February 2006

My husband and I stayed here for a night with our dog, while we spent a day skiing at Mt Snow. We found the place charming, and a great retreat from the city. It was nice to be in a place where we could reconnect with nature.
Rooms were clean and cosy. They have very informal atmosphere, with a den where you can watch movies play board games, a table tennis table indoors, cosy common living area, and a quaint dining area where you can see the innkeeper cooking!
Food was excellent, nothing prepackaged, or out of a tin or freezer here. All fresh and homemade.
There were very few guests during the time we were there, so it felt like a nice quiet and private place.
It was great that it was a pet friendly place, because we didn't have to bother with dropping our dog off at a kennel etc. We just brought her with us, and I think she enjoyed the woods very much.

• Stayed: February 2006
1  Thank anti-stress
A TripAdvisor Member
Boston
Reviewed 18 September 2005

We spent two nights there and it was a colossal waste of money and caused us much stress. Vicky, met us @ the door asking us to pay in advance. When we made our reservation we were told we could expect a light supper upon arrival. We were never offered the meal, and when we asked for it we were told by the teenage son that he would have to ask his mother. His mother, Vicky, never responded to our request. Ok, so we piled back into our car, after a 4 hour trip, and went into Wilmington for supper.

While I was fetching some tea for myself, Vicki complained to me about having a large group that was checking in, and how this was going to be so much work for her, and how she regretted this. She seemed very overwhelmed and stressed out.

The rooms were in need of some upkeep, paint chipping, broken lamp shades, etc. The view is gorgeous of Mount Snow, and breakfast was delicious but the family was overall unhappy, overwhelmed and not all that interested in hospitalty.

We love the Wilmington area, but would NEVER give the current Inn-keepers @ Quail Run repeat business.

Stayed: September 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded 24 October 2005

I have no idea which guest this might be. I always collect their money at check out, but have been told by those in the industry that we should collect up front. I have not found a polite way of doing this, so continue to collect at check out. I had non stop guests in September. There were 4 craft retreats back to back, at which I prepared 3 meals a day for everyone. During the winter I provide a check in supper at an additional fee. Had anyone asked for dinner, I certainly had plenty to accomodate them. I am sorry they felt I was surly. I guess I can't please everyone. I would love to be given an opportunity to turn this guest's opinion around.

A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed 5 July 2005

My family has had the pleasure of staying at this Inn twice this ski season. The Innkeepers family makes you feel welcome the moment you walk in the door. While we skied, Victoria would tend to my elderly mother. SHe fed her lunch and spent time talking with her.
Unfortunately, during our last stay there, my mother had a heart attack. Victoria took care of our daughter while I went with my mother to the hospital. My mother died. We stayed at the Inn and Victoria did everything she could to help us plan the funeral and even offered a special rate for out of town guests.
We have only compliments about how we were treated. THe food there is always great, but the way this family went above and beyond in our time of need was astounding. We consider Victoria our angel.
Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: March 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wilmington
The Nutmeg
#3 of 12 in Dover
Gray Ghost Inn
Gray Ghost Inn
#4 of 12 in Dover

Been to Inn at Quail Run? Share your experiences!