“A heavenly place”

Snapdragon Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Windsor B&B and Inns
“A heavenly place”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This former family home of the editor Max Perkins has been lovingly converted into an inn that respects and sustains its literary heritage. You can browse an extraordinary collection of books by authors Perkins worked with (including his wife, Louise Saunders), volumes of correspondence, etc. You will wish for a week of rain so you can do nothing but read, and muse over the rich history preserved here. And a perfect base for visiting the home/studio of Augustus Saint-Gaudens just across the river!

Room Tip: Room 9 at the rear of the 3rd floor was marvelous, very spacious and quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Boston, MA
Reviewed 11 June 2014

From the very beginning our experience with the Snapdragon Inn was wonderful. The reservation process was easy and pleasant, the welcome when we arrived was warm and friendly (despite it being the middle of a blizzard), the owner we met (Michelle) was charming and so nice to talk with and the cookies they put out in the evening were amazing. We stayed on the top floor (room 9) and loved our space. Modern conveniences (heated bathroom floor, luxury robes, flat screen TV, wireless) with lots of the antique charm (furnishings, claw footed tub, color scheme) in keeping with the age of the property.
Here are a few other things we loved:

*The woman who showed us to our room also showed us a couple of others since I was curious (we stayed mid-week and there weren't any other guests when we checked in). Several have non-working but very pretty fireplaces.
*The breakfast and dining rooms are lovely. There is a Keurig machine always at the ready and a mini-fridge where guests can put leftovers, wine, whatever.
*When I was walking through the lobby at one point I overheard an owner talking with someone who was making a reservation and letting them know that a family with kids would be there at the same time the person on the phone was considering booking. I thought this was great. I have kids. When I go away with my husband for a romatic get away, I like the idea of being informed about whether there will be other kids there - particularly in an intimate setting like this property.
*The toiletries (L'Occitaine) and linens are truly luxurious.
*As I mentioned we showed up in the middle of a blizzard. At one point we looked out the window and Michelle was actually scraping the ice off our car windows!

We loved this place. And we can't wait to go back for our anniversary in September. So, you might wonder why we didn't give it an overall "excellent" rating. There were just two things that I think factored in:
1) There isn't a ton to do right there. We did walk to town (just a couple of blocks) for dinner and also to poke around in the antique shop but, other than that, it's a pretty sleepy area. We did drive into Woodstock which is pretty close and a great area. Oh - and there's a pizza place a few blocks away that has the best garlic knots we've ever had! So if you're looking for excitement in your immediate area, this may not be the spot for you.
2) The feather bed. Not my favorite with a big bump down the middle of the bed. This was my first experience with a feather bed, so I don't know if that is typical or if it needed to be flipped or what. Just didn't love it. Of course, that's not stopped us from booking the same exact room for September and we can't wait to return! If I could have given this 4.5 circles rather than 4, I would have.

Room Tip: There are photos of all the rooms on the website. Take some time to really look at the details to pi...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank casualtraveler2008
South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Everything about this place was fantastic: the room (#9) was gorgeous and big, the bed was extraordinary, the claw foot soaking tub incredible, the robes soft, a great breakfast, warm cookies at night, and an incredibly attentive and thoughtful staff without being overbearing. Lake Runnemede is just back behind, with hiking paths, and Windsor and the surrounding area (Quechee Gorge, Woodstock, King Arthur Flour, Cabot Cheese Outlet) is full of things to do. This is hands down the best hotel/inn I've ever stayed in. It's more than worth making it a destination. There are things for everyone to do. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Room 9 was wonderful, and huge, with a separate sitting area and an enormous bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank A L
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Beautiful inn with large rooms. Friendly and helpful innkeepers. I can't say enough about our great stay here. The only reason I did not give 5 stars is because I usually save 5 for a luxury resort that has every amenity. If you are traveling in the area or want to stay near Woodstock or Quechee this is an excellent choice.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Snapdragon I, Owner at Snapdragon Inn, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
It's true, even are smallest rooms are nice and spacious. More than once we've had guests tell us they can fit their entire NYC apartment in one of our rooms. Making a room feel spacious yet still warm and inviting is a goal of ours here at the Snapdragon Inn. Thanks so much for coming and sharing.
Noank, Connecticut
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The room was spotless. The claw foot tub enjoyable. We were upgraded from a queen size bed to a King size with no extra cost with our early spring stay. We have stayed twice in three years and will go back again when the time allows.

Room Tip: Room two has a very large bathroom with a queen bed and room 7 has a King bed with a much smaller ba...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Snapdragon I, Owner at Snapdragon Inn, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thanks so much for sharing such descriptive information for future guests. You're the best! We really can't wait to see you again soon and enjoy our claw foot soaking tubs and heated bathroom floors.
Astoria, New York
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This gorgeous B&B in sleepy Windsor, VT was exactly what my significant other and I needed for our 5th anniversary trip. Michelle, the owner, was incredibly attentive and ridiculously knowledgeable and prepared to help us find any and everything we might want to do. When my S.O. and I were running late we called the Snapdragon and Michelle took amazing care of us. She made us a reservation at the nearest pub, the Station (which is delicious, by the way) to make sure we didn't go hungry that night and also left us her cell phone number in case we needed anything else when we arrived. We also got upgraded to a King suite for the whole week! The room was BEAUTIFUL, from the furnishing to the lighting to the gorgeous bathroom. It's clear that everything and everyone in the Snapdragon is loved and well taken care of. But what really put this place over the top were the fresh baked cookies left out every night when we got home. Thank you to whatever being made those because holy moly they are delicious. We have been raving about this place since we got home and will absolutely be back!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Snapdragon I, Owner at Snapdragon Inn, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you so much for your response, we never let anyone go hungry! I hope you're dreaming of the Windsor Station and those chocolate chip cookies until next time. If you get in touch we're happy to send you the recipe for you to make up a batch or two to tide you over, we love sharing our not-so-secret family recipe. Hope to see you again soon.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The Snapdragon Inn is a lovely little gem in the middle of Vermont. We came for one night to get away from the city (Boston) and found a wonderful hideaway. The rooms are beautifully appointed and very clean. There's an old colonial feel to the inn but it seems very modern because the rooms have been immaculately painted and decorated with newer amenities. The radiators add a touch of a classic feel, but work so well you'd think they were just installed yesterday. We stayed on a very very cold night in the dead of winter, and the room warmed up very pleasantly in only a matter of minutes after we turned the radiator up. The radiant heating in the bathroom flooring is also a very nice touch. Although there is only a stand-up shower in the bathroom, it's very roomy and has great water pressure.

The best thing about our stay was the luxurious king-sized bed. There is a feather topped mattress and thick, rich down comforter to snuggle up in. I don't think I've slept so well in many months!

The only little thing I'd change would be the breakfast. When you stay at an inn, you typically hope for a true bed and breakfast experience. The continental style breakfast here left me wanting more. It would have been really wonderful to sit down to a hot meal instead of bagels, cereal and toast, though the maple cream and vermont jams were a nice touch.

The manager of the inn is super nice and helpful and went out of her way to make sure each guest had plans solidified for the day, providing maps and brochures. I'd definitely come back!

Room Tip: We stayed in room #8 - it's gorgeous.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BostonGal13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windsor
Kedron Valley Inn
The Common Man Inn
The Common Man Inn
#1 of 1 in Claremont
Holiday Inn Club Vacations Mount Ascutney Resort

Been to Snapdragon Inn? Share your experiences!