“Stinky cheese... and not in a good way. :(”
Review of The Cheese Board

The Cheese Board
Ranked #7 of 15 things to do in Windsor
More attraction details
Owner description: The Vermont Farmstead Cheese Company Market, the flagship store of Vermont Farmstead Cheese Company and Castleton Crackers, is a local foods market in Windsor, Vermont that offers a wide selection of Vermont cheeses, cured meats, and all the provisional items to complete your spread. We were founded by America's only community owned dairy and creamery, Vermont Farmstead Cheese Company, who is creating an entirely new generation of unique farmstead and artisanal cheeses and has joined forces with Whitney's Castleton Crackers. We aim to foster local farming communities and each month we feature another Vermont cheese company and showcase all of their products in our shop. We also provide catered Cheese and Charcuterie Platters for any occasion. We also offer trade discounts on products and platters to local Caterers, Event Planners, and Bed and Breakfasts. If there is anything else we can do for you, just ask! Stop in for a daily grilled cheese sandwich on fresh baked bread from King Arthur Flour, or a wood-fired pizza served on 'The Porch' and in the garden May through October, Friday thru Sunday. We are located next to the Harpoon Brewery in the Artisans Park in Windsor, Vermont. Our other neighbors include the Path of Life Sculpture Garden, American Crated Spirits, Simon Pearce Glass, Blake Hill Preserves and Great River Outfitters. Our regular store hours are 10:30am-6:00pm seven days a week,and we are open until 8:00pm Friday and Saturday.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Woonsocket, Rhode Island
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Stinky cheese... and not in a good way. :(”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

As a serious cheese lover who was seriously excited to stop in here, I am/was seriously disappointed in this shop and the cheeses that I purchased while there. Yeah. Seriously. My husband and I stopped at the brewery next door and then I absolutely had to stop into The Sustainable Farmer. It is a cute little shop, and the staff was friendly enough, but as far as cheese went, there was truly nothing mind blowing there. I, however, did not want to leave empty handed and snagged a couple of cheeses that have great reviews. I spent $30 for 3 very small cheeses (which I do not mind; I frequently spend $$$ on cheese, but I do expect quality) While my own fault for not noticing in the shop, one of the cheeses I got, Lazy Lady Farm's "Oh my heart"... was wrapped more than a month ago. It tasted funky (and trust me... I love properly "FUNKY" cheeses, but this tasted gross and like fridge... as though it has absored the flavours of somethin' else) and didn't seem to have been handled well. Very disappointing. THEN, I noticed that another one of my cheese selections (Vermont Shepherd's "Verano"), while delicious, was dated/wrapped on an advanced date. It could have been a simple mistake, but after the other cheese, I am interpreting it as 'dishonest'. I personally have no desire/reason to go back (and would not... lots of lovely places for cheese in Vermont!) If you are new to cheese, I could understand potentially having some stars in your eyes, but I am left unimpressed and with fewer dollars to spend on delicious, properly stored/handled cheese.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank MaBoogins
CheeseBoardVT, Director of Marketing at The Cheese Board, responded to this review, 22 March 2016
Hi MaBoogins!
The Cheese Board at Vermont Farmstead took over The Sustainable Farmer store just this past autumn, in October of 2015. We are the flagship store of Vermont Farmstead Cheese Company but we also sell and care for a wide variety of cheeses from around Vermont and some of our other favorites from further afield. We know cheese! I hope if you visit this area again that you'll come back in and give our cheese case a try. We also sell (and sample daily) a wide array of specialty Vermont products, everything you could possibly want for your own cheese board. We always look forward to talking with a fellow caseophile, so I hope you'll give us that chance.

Best -
Sharon
The Cheese Board at Vermont Farmstead

Carp, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Good samples”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Nice store-friendly staff. Very good cheese and jams. Nice to buy local. Not cheap but that is normal in tourist areas.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Iris D
Great Neck, NY
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Best chocolate ice cream tasted and we tasted a lot!”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

A light and beautiful store staffed by charming and knowledgeable help. Willing to allow us to sample before purchase. We stop for ice cream sometimes twice a day on vacation. This was the best we sampled. Right next door to Harpoon Brewery and they also make their own pizza (but not on the day we were there). Wish we had time to try again. Good prices on same products found at many other locations.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Debbie J
“One stop shop of Vermont's local artisan cheeses, honey, syrups and more!”
Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

So glad our hotel told us to stop in! The staff was extremely knowledgable of the products offered and we were able to sample some amazing local samples. One of our favorite stops of the vacation! Small shop that offered amazing samples of Vermont's local fare! We loved it all!

Visited September 2013
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Super Samples and Products”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

we wandered in by luck. After sampling several delicious things we had to go back and purchase many. Cheeses, pepperoni, hummus, jellies and our favorite... Maple Ice Cream. Ate our way through the shop then all the way home. Super helpful staff and friendly atmosphere.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank folsomstrips

Been to The Cheese Board? Share your experiences!