“Oh My, What a Great Meal!”

Bedford Social Club
Cross street: Main St.
Description: Come....Be social
Huddleston, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Oh My, What a Great Meal!”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I turned a year older on December 19, so sweet hubby Ron wanted to take me to a really nice restaurant for dinner. "Why?" I asked. "There's lots of food in the freezer, and I'm perfectly happy staying home." But then my friend Marilee intervened, strongly suggested we dine at the Bedford Social Club, an upscale restaurant in Bedford, Virginia, said the restaurant had a "date night special" on Wednesdays and Thursdays. We'd eaten there several times before, the meal was always delicious, so in order to make Marilee (and Ron) happy, I agreed. Besides, I knew the food would be good.

Folks, I can't even begin to tell you how absolutely wonderful our meal was unless I use lots of adjectives and adverbs, things we writers are discouraged from using. So for this review I will take off my writer's hat and don my "I love good food" hat.

For an appetizer, we chose Spanakopita, a Greek spinach pie made with Feta cheese and phyllo pastry dough. Oh my goodness; I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. (Yes, fellow writers, I know that phrase is a huge cliche, but remember, I'm not writing this as a writer.) Next was a house salad with honey dijonese dressing. Sooo yummy.

I forgot to mention that with our meal came a bottle of wine. We chose a dry Hob Nob Chardonnay made in California, which paired deliciously with our entrees.

Ron selected a tuna special, which he thoroughly enjoyed. I chose the salmon and scallop cappellini dish, which was served on angel hair pasta. In my opinion, restaurant pasta sauces are usually too heavy, too salty, and fight with whatever is buried in the pasta. Not this dish. The sauce was incredibly light but tasty, enhanced the perfectly cooked chunks of salmon and scallops. I hope Bedford Social Club keeps this on their menu forever, because I want it again, and again, and again.

Next came the dessert. Ron ordered New York Cheese Cake, and graciously gave me a bite. Very, very good. What did I order? Nothing is better than cheese cake, right? Not. I know; you are dying to know what I picked. I chose . . . drum roll here, please . . . GINGERBREAD ICE CREAM! Yes! You read that correctly. And it was so delicious that if my tongue had been long enough and no one was looking, I would have picked up that bowl and licked up every tiny, lingering bit.

By the way, the service was just as good as the food!

1 Thank Sally R

Bedford, Virginia
“Hands down the best restaurant in Bedford !!!! ”
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

I decided to go out to dinner last Friday night at the Bedford Social Club with a couple girl friends. They rant and raved about how good it is- but I had never gotten the chance. (Little did I know how much I have been missing..!)
For starters, it is truely a hidden jewel- in a unique, old building. Amazing art work through out the dining area as well. We had Perry as a waiter - he was very professional (and not to mention easy on the eyes)
As for the most important part , the food - the glorious food. I cannot say it enough - the food is AMAZING!!
this place nailed it. The Caesar salad for an app was to die for - followed by the best steak au poivre have ever eaten in my life! Worth every penny- I will gladly pay a little more for quality and service. Bottom line this place is great & the only place in downtown Bedford to go if you want an extraordinary dinner experience.

Bedford, Virginia
“Lovely dinner at a local restaurant”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We got together with our neighbors at this restaurant a week after Thanksgiving. The menu changes weekly and so one is always in for a nice surprise. One of the items was no longer available but the crab cakes where excellent. The Ahi tuna was a bit dry but the sauces were fantastic adding flair and flavor. I would definately come back for a special occasion.

Williamsburg, Virginia
“Hidden Gem in Bedford”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Menu is creative, food is good, and service is attentive. Water was kept filled and pace was perfect even for a large party. Spanokopita was different from the usual Greek pastry but quite tasty. Eggnog ice cream was out of this world!

Fair Play, South Carolina
“Pricey, slow, but food is good”
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Restaurant was not crowded with quite a few tables open but still had to wait 15 minutes to be seated. After being seated was at least ten minutes before waitress arrived. Speed never picked up. Was there right at two hours. Food was good when it finally arrived. All other tables had bread brought to them even those arriving after us. Asked waitress and she said they were out but they could cook us some if we really wanted it. Only reason rated as average is that food was good. With tip bill was over $80 for two. Water to drink with a glass of wine each and no appetizer.

Visited December 2013