“Wonderful Horseback Adventure”
Review of Reba Farm Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bedford
Reba Farm Inn
Ranked #6 of 6 Bedford B&B and Inns
Cary, North Carolina
“Wonderful Horseback Adventure”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We did not stay at the Inn but went only for a family horseback ride at Saddle Soar. We were staying at nearby Smith Mountain Lake and it was a quick drive over to Bedford. We have some experience with horses so we just expected a standard trail ride but it is much more than that! The staff is gruff at first, yes, but it is because they are teaching you things you will need later. And they spend the first part of the ride correcting you but we liked that. It was cool to learn the right way to ride instead of just bumping along and being sore later.

We took our 2 young daughters with us (ages 7 & 8) and they were very kind to the kids. The other party of 4 showed up 45 minutes late and to the credit of the owners they went off to look for them at the Inn rather than leave without them. And we had originally scheduled our visit for Easter Sunday but it rained. So I called 3 hours before our schedule time. We made a plan to talk 1 hour later hoping the rain would stop. It didn't so they graciously moved us to the next day. The driving instructions they provide via e-mail and e-mail confirmations are great!

Along the ride they teach you how to maneuver the horses properly, how to communicate with them and about the horses. They have a natural pecking order so they put us on horses that would stick with the horses our children we on. The man and woman who are the owners were very friendly to chat with once instructions were done and we were out on the trail. They were very informative about horses and I could tell they loved what they do. Nate, the intern/worker who also rode with us, was high school aged and kept a great eye on my kiddos when we were single file or when the pack split up a bit.

It was a very cold, windy day when we went but we had so much fun we forgot about the cold until the ride was done. Totally will go back in warmer weather. The views along the ride are gorgeous! Wonderful experience for the whole family!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank HattieMags

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Went for a trail ride last fall. Scenery is breathtaking but the bad attitude coming from the female owner (was never told her name) really put a damper on the ride. I've been riding my entire life and the way she talked to the newbies was horrible. Her pairing of horse with rider was way off as well. Thank goodness her husband has a more laid back friendly attitude. If we go again hopefully she'll stay back at the barn! I can't give a review of the B and B....when we asked to take a peek as we were considering coming back at Christmas time we were shot down. Only paying guests can see the rooms?? Makes you wonder what they're trying to hide.

• Stayed December 2011
4 Thank ridefar
South Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Our group of three adults and two small children stayed in the cottage for four nights. It was amazing!!!! I read Virgina007's review and was a little nervous, but I am so glad we went! This is a bed and breakfast, it is not a hotel. It is also the home base for a working horse farm and rescue operation, so the owners are not around all day, which actually made us feel like we had the whole place to ourself! The breakfasts Kathleen made were amazing. In terms of the review mentioned, the game room is a little musty, but turning on the air conditioner lets the room breathe. I'm guessing it doesn't get visited too much- after all, who wants to spend time in a game room when you can hang in the Blue Ridge Mtns? For the most part, the horses stay at the other end of the farm, which is over a mile away. I went on two rides, and one of the rides my children (2 and 4) also rode horses. It was beautiful. There are going to be gravel roads (note- do NOT follow your GPS, call the Inn and ask for the best way to get there), and if you are looking for a little mountain paradise, this is your place. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The cottage is a great place to stay, but only breakfast is served... make sure you pack snacks and...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank NJTravelinFam
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I had stayed at this bed & breakfast a couple of times over the past few years. I did have a good experience up until I booked this place for my first anniversary with my wife. I had no reason to doubt that everything would be as I had remembered it from my past stay's there. Boy was I ever wrong! When I drove up the driveway it was in such a state of disrepair that you needed a 4 wheel drive just to get up to the house. There was no one to greet us and we arrived there at 3 that afternoon. There was a note on the door of the game room which told us to go to this certain room over the game room. The game room itself was musty smelling and the air hockey game looked as if someone had put their fist through the top. the pool table looked as if someone had taken a hammer and started to chip away around the sides of the table.Our "room" was to be over this musty smelling "game room" which when we went up to look at it, it smelled too! The room also had no TV or any kind of music! Some old looking tub didn't look too good either.Then we went to look at the "pool" which looked as if no one had gone in it for over a year.The "hot tub" had COLD water in it and the jets did not work. The fence around the property looked as if a good breeze would knock it over. No horses were to be seen anywhere. This is a horse farm? The grass around the house had not been mowed in a few weeks.Needless to say I was not going to stay any night here. I left here and will never go back here. In my opinion the owners here let this place get run down and still expect you to pay over 100.00$ a night for this musty smelling run down "farm". My advice: Don't go here!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Virginian007
St. Pete, FL
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Just got back from another great tip to Reba Farm Inn. As always, we enjoyed ourselves immensely. Ron and Kathleen (the proprietors) were warm and gracious as always. We have had a baby since our last trip to the farm and they were excellent with him. Ron took him on a horse ride and he loved it! We rode twice and as always enjoyed the real horseback riding experience that they offer. This is real riding, not the nose to butt riding in a line that you usually get at most places.

We would recommend Reba to anyone who is looking for a real horse experience and a quiet getaway in one of the most beautiful locations imaginable.

Room Tip: The Spring Cottage is a great treat. The Take Care room is very nice as well.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank David L
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We were in the area to attend a family reunion in the Bedford and Lynchburg areas. We elected to stay at Reba Farm Inn because of the horses which were very important to the Grandkids{ and their Grandma} I prefer to stay at B&B's but this was above and beyond. Breakfast was so wonderful--poached peaches,local sausage,fresh fruit,pork chops,breakfast burritos YUMMMMM It was all great but the 2 1/2 hr trail ride was the scene stealer. We rode in a torrential downpour for about 20 min. and when we got to the plateau on top of the mountain the sun came out of the clouds and all seemed right with the world. Also learned a lot about horses. Pool is quite clean, hot tub,trampoline. And the nights were quiet. Flowers were beautiful in spite of dry weather. Down the rode is a vineyard which looked fun but we never made it because of time constraints. Lots to do in the area. Check it out.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank sunshinoms
Mecklenburg County, NC
Reviewed 8 July 2011

in case you decide to stay, here a few things you should know:

they do not answer the front door despite the buzzer on the front porch (you have to go around back past one of the 5 dogs to enter) (they said everyone uses the back door)

take your own shower soap and shampoo (this is not provided)

the exercise room they advertise has no AC (in case you go in summer)

they have window unit type AC in bedroom so bathroom (different room) may be warm

do NOT use your own GPS directions - we ended up on 4 mile gravel road to get to their house.

on our visit, hot tub was lukewarm

on the positive side: eating breakfast outside was lovely with the cool mountain breeze

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank BR54967
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
Peaks of Otter Lodge
Peaks of Otter Lodge
#1 of 4 in Bedford
Natural Bridge Park Historic Hotel
Super 8 Bedford
Super 8 Bedford
#2 of 4 in Bedford

Been to Reba Farm Inn? Share your experiences!