“Great Trail Ride, Amazing Views”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Reba Farm Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Reba Farm Inn
Forest, Virginia
“Great Trail Ride, Amazing Views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I called a day ahead of time to schedule a trail ride and the owner (Ron) greeted me on the phone. He was very helpful and informed me of the time and place to meetup for the trail ride as well as some details of the ride itself. My wife and I were beginners and he reassured me that we needed no experience. I got the impression he was a candid, genuine, and "from the country" type of person with a passion for what he does, not much tact though. His wife was straight and to the point with a similar passion. I can see how they can be off-putting to more sensitive types of people. My advice though is to not expect to be pampered.

When we arrived we found a beautiful setting with great views all around. There were such a variety of horses on the grounds....at least 70...The grounds were rustic and it looked like a working farm vs. a show farm. We were met by Kathleen, and she got us through the paperwork. It was all business for her. It wasn't long before Ron started matching up horses to the riders (there were 7 of us total) including Ron and one of his interns. He let us know some guidelines for riding,"driving instructions", and basic safety rules. He did a good job with letting us know what to expect during the ride and kept us engaged in conversation throughout. I think what not to expect during the ride would be to ride near your best friend or partner...Ron matched rider to horse which to me makes sense in terms of safety. I was the back of the line, my wife was in the front. I got Little John, a small horse, but a mustang. He was a good horse. This process from arrival to getting on the horse took about 45 minutes. I took my camera out shot a few pics. This is not a ride to have a camera out shooting pictures....I put mine in my car, both hands needed to be on the reigns.

Ron took us through some basic rider training and what to do's such as steering, driving, going downhill, trotting, going around barrels, letting the horse drink, eat, etc and even more tips along the way. Then we were off. It was fun, exciting, and harrowing at times, but I felt as if the horses were well trained and well tempered. The scenery throughout the ride was amazing and I felt like were were given "opportunities" to learn the horse and how to interact and communicate with the horse. We'll be back again and I recommend it for adventurous types, because at some points along the way, you do get to "ride" your horses instead of having it completely guided. We had fun.

Visited May 2014

Arlington, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Rude”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

I was there with a group of 11 other ladies for a bachelorette trail ride on Saturday. The ride was scheduled for 7:30PM. We had received an emailed reservation that Wednesday, and had given them a credit card to finish the reservation. Wanting to confirm the reservation, we called Ron multiple times on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, to no avail, so we were only able to leave voicemails. We never got through via phone, ever. That should've been a warning.

Entering the farm there are 2 emaciated and very sick-looking horses in a pen, surrounded by shoddy buildings. The house itself seems to be ok. There were 5 dogs who greeted us when we entered, they all had ticks and some were limping. We arrived 15 minutes early and waited.We waited until 8PM and still no one came. We called multiple times, and it went straight to voicemail every time. Suddenly, a truck barreled up the road--Ron jumped out and immediately started yelling at us, accusing us of not being at the right place and angrily complaining that he had waited this whole time for us. He claimed that we should have followed the directions in his email, but we hadn't received it. Despite his very harsh scolding, we responded nicely and mentioned that we followed the directions that listed on the farm's website because we couldn't get a hold of them over the phone to confirm. (We followed the only directions given on the website--why wouldn't that have led us to the right place?) He kept insisting that it was our fault and then said that "we should come have fun with him on the horseride". We were all shocked at his anger. Because of his awful attitude, we decided then and there to leave, so we told him politely that. He huffed and drove back down the driveway. We got in our cars and realized he had stopped halfway down the driveway, blocking us on his property! We walked up to his truck and he told us that we would be charged either way for the ride, so we might as well do it. We firmly said no and asked him let us go--and cancelled our credit card.

It was a very strange and unwelcoming experience. Despite the "rescued horses", I wouldn't ever recommend this farm to anyone because of the horrid attitude that we were greeted with. If Ron had reacted to this situation with respect and politeness, he might have gotten us as customers--maybe as repeat ones. It is his loss.

Visited April 2014
13 Thank zimmerster
Florida
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Rude & Patronizing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

I did not stay this at the Inn this time (I have before but would not return) but did sign up for their horseback riding trip with Saddle Soar. A horrible experience. Were treated terrible from the get-go. Sat on the horses for an hour in the hot sun before even departing as they tacked up horses and got the group ready. Both owners, husband and wife, were extremely rude and condescending. They definitely have no respect for any type of English rider making many sarcastic comments throughout the ride. Also didn't appreciate having to listen to the husband go on about his political views. They say they do this for their love of horses and to support their rescue efforts. The horses were the only reason we considered it a donation and went on the ride. Unfortunately, we will not return.

5 Thank Beanas4
Arlington, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Don't go horseback riding here!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012

I purchased numerous gift certificates with Reba Farms for myself and my family to go horseback riding here. Upon purchase of these gift certificates, they were quick and fast to return my calls and accept my cc info. When the day came for my family and I to go horseback riding they did not show up for our appointment date. Yep, the barn was empty, no guides, no horses. Afterwards, my family and I made numerous phone calls to them to have my money refunded however they would not return my calls (or emails).

Don't let this happen to you!!!

12 Thank K_Heron732
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Fun experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

We took a large group (11) riding while vacationing at smith mountain lake. The horses were great and the ride was a lot of fun. Ron (the owner) was a little gruff and yelled at some of our riders who were having trouble controlling the horses.

2 Thank teammcg