“great little Italian restaurant with reasonable prices” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 24 Restaurants in Berryville
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Groups
Richmond, Virginia
“great little Italian restaurant with reasonable prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

The owner is from New York City area. Food reflects this background. Pizza dough and sauce is made fresh daily. This is family restaurant so don't expect 5 star dining. Portions tend to be large. Subs are on tasty fresh rolls. We eat there when are in the area.

Visited March 2013

Silver Spring, Maryland
“Sorry, not good at all”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

The wait staff was attentive and prompt. The facility was bright and modern, but the pizza left a lot to be desired. I ordered the four cheese pizza. It was very oily and I couldn't even taste the sauce. The crust was very bland and wilted under the oil. I have had several pizzas in many different restaurants including Italy and have made them myself. This pizza was not even the level of frozen. My husband's meat lovers pizza was also oily and the meat just didn't taste good. I read other reviews and wonder what happened the night we ordered because it was definately not the same experience.

Visited February 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Looking for a new love grub pizza joint.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013 via mobile

I took a scenic route on my way home to West Va from Upperville, VA. Basically searching for something new or interesting a long the way. I took a look at the specials forlunch on the window and was happy with the prices due to everything these days. I orderd the chicken steak 6inch with fries and a Pepsi. I was thinking it would be pretty small, but i was much more than expected. Chicken had a grill flavor to it otherwise pretty plain. The cheese on the steak was creamy and melted with a good taste along with the peppers and onions. The fries were average and i was pleased. The soda was a bit carbonated or the fountain heads needed to be adjusted. To fully rate this place i would have to try there sauce. Other than a that a sub is a sub.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Berryville, Virginia
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

We decided to take a nice walk in the snow and try a new (to us) restaurant in town. The meal started off good when we ordered the combo appetizer which was plentiful and very good. But it went downhill from there. I ordered the tortellini with meat sauce dinner which came with a house salad and garlic bread. The salad was ordinary, but the Italian house dressing was quite good. The garlic bread? Was there any garlic on it? The tortellini was blah. No flavor to speak of.
My son ordered the Italian sub. Lots of meat, but no flavor. My daughter ordered the chicken sandwich.. She said it was average. The portions were big, but I would rather have less with some flavor. We might try their pizza sometime, but it will probably be a while as there is a good pizza place at the other end of town.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
“"Mom & Pop Shop" at it's best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2013 via mobile

Well, there's no "Mom", but this is the best locally owned & operated pizza place in a small town I've ever visited. The restaurant itself is roomy, clean and bright. The staff is friendly and courteous. In 17 years of my patronage, they've only made a mistake on a pizza once - using broccoli instead of spinach - and immediately made a second pizza. The food is exactly what you expect, with no surprises. We routinely get pizzas of all kinds, but frequently indulge in their calzones as well. The antipasta salad is excellent - large, fresh and loaded. Out of town guests always ask to go to Mario's, and we always oblige!

• 5 of 5 bubbles