“Very romantic, but be aware of the stink bugs!”
Review of Rosemont Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berryville
Rosemont Manor
Ranked #3 of 6 Berryville B&B and Inns
Baltimore, Maryland
“Very romantic, but be aware of the stink bugs!”
Reviewed 20 March 2011

My boyfriend and I booked a two night stay at Rosemont Manor through Living Social. It was a quick and beautiful drive from the hustle and bustle of Baltimore. As many reviews before mine and I'm sure many after will agree; Andrew, the Inn Keeper truly is wonderful. He was very pleasant and helpful, giving great suggestions for things to do and see. Infact everyone down to the construction crew working on the reception hall next door were very pleasant.

One thing that I was surprised not to see in any of the reviews, that did disappoint me, was that there were quite a few stink bugs. I would say that we had at least 60 in our room during our two night stay. After some crafty work from my boyfriend on night two, we plugged up some spots that were allowing the stink bugs in to our room, providing our last few hours at Rosemont- stink bug free! You should keep in mind that the stink bugs weren't just at Rosemont, some of the wineries had a lot of them as well. I would certainly stay here again, however if you are very squeemish around bugs this may not be for you. (Note: I gave 3 stars on Sleep Quality because the stink bugs kept me up all night the first night, other than that the beds were very comfortable.)

We stayed in the Kennedy Suite, which was very romantic. I got to take a peak at almost all the rooms and suites, and the next time I stay at Rosemont, I'd like to try the Eisenhower Suite. I was pleasantly surprised with how comfortable the beds were. I was also surprised to see that there was only a bathtub in our bathroom, there was a shower head but you had to be careful that you didn't spray water everywhere. I guess it forced me to take a relaxing bath which I otherwise wouldn't have done.

On a side note; if you plan on going out to dinner, downtown Wincester has plenty of restaurants to offer. Just make sure you get there early, most of them close at 9pm!

1 Thank SohlAT
Rosemont1811, Owner at Rosemont Manor, responded to this review, 9 June 2011
Dear Guests,

First, I would like to give some background on these particular stinks bugs, and then some actions Rosemont is taking to address the issue.

Background

Believed to have entered the US in a cargo container from China in Allentown, PA in 1996, the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug has spread to over 30 states. With no natural enemies here in the US, their population will continue to increase each year. The Mid-Atlantic region seems to be taking the brunt of their infestation. Damage to fruit and vegetable crops from stink bugs in these areas has reached critical levels, according to the United States Department of Agriculture. The Northern Shenandoah Valley, along with the western portions of the Northern Virginia-Metro area, are among the most invested areas. By 2012 the brown stink bug will cover the entire Northern Virginia area and Washington DC.

At this time there is no known effective eradication method. Even the use of direct contact pesticides seem ineffective as the dying bugs release their pungent odor, attracting even more bugs making the subsequent infestations worse than the first.

These bugs do not bite humans and pose no known health hazards. They feed mainly on fruits and vegetables, leaving small craters on their surfaces. Even the fruit they have gotten to is edible, once the blemished parts are cut out.

So what approach should be used to control these unwelcomed guests?

I am very conscientious about our guests’ safety and health concerns. From meeting various dietary restrictions and preferences of our guests, to implementing the most green-related technologies and practices, we continue to evolve our Rosemont business practices around a healthy ecological environment. I grew up in Ohio on the freshest, most natural produce and poultry imaginable, grown by my dad who was a 100% organic farmer, years before it was the chic thing to do, and where “green technology” related to creating the next hybrid of lettuce.

In keeping with those practices, we do not use any form of pesticides here at Rosemont—neither inside nor on the grounds. All methods are purely organic. Even though officials from the US Agriculture Department and the Environmental Protection Agency are pushing to have the stink bug reclassified so farmers would be allowed stronger pesticides, I don’t even want to go down the path of spraying any of the current contact or residual pesticides allowed. Residual pesticide treatments have been proven to be ineffective against these stink bugs and can’t be anything but a health hazard to my staff and guests.

So what is Rosemont doing?

When the weather warms, they come out of their slumber and a few do appear inside our manor. We constantly are monitoring all rooms and common areas and removing then if they should appear. During 2011 we continue to seal outside entry points on the main manor house to stop next year’s crop from entering our home. Until then, we will continue to do our best to remove these pests in the most safe and efficient means possible without resorting to any sort of pesticide.

Biff Genda
Owner
Historic Rosemont Manor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 8 March 2011

We had a wonderful trip to Rosemont Manor. The house is lovely and the views from the porch are breathtaking. Andrew is a wonderful host and made us feel welcome. The room (Roosevelt Suite) was very comfortable. All in all, we really had a wonderful time.

Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 March 2011

We went to the Rosemont for a quick weekend getaway in March and had a great time. The staff was excellent, the rooms were clean, quiet and the breakfast and lunch were delicious. The staff directed us to several local wineries we enjoyed and Harpers Ferry is close by for hiking. I highly recommend the Rosemont for a weekend trip!

Towson, Maryland
Reviewed 2 March 2011

Had a lovely time at Rosemont Manor. The owners and the innkeeper could not be friendlier. You really feel like you are a welcomed guest in someone's home. With the added bonus of 60 wineries in the area you can't go wrong staying here to just get away from it all and enjoy the time with friends and loved ones.

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 March 2011

The mansion is beautiful, very well taken care of. If you are in the mood to completely forget about life for 2 days this is the spot. The staff is very helpful and courteous, and will bend over backward to accommodate you. Not much to do in the town of Berryville, a couple of restaurants, however it is located in the heart of Virginia wine country. So, if that is your thing this is the place to go. Besides that, there is a casino in West Virginia about a half hours drive if your looking for some party like entertainment. However, like I said if you want to lose all the hustle and bustle of city life, staying at the Rosemont Manor is a perfect getaway. Also innkeeper Andrew and general manager Mike, taxied me and my wife to one of the next towns over to get a rental car after we had car troubles. Very nice of them, thanks again guys.

1 Thank jamjam4
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 February 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Rosemont Manor for a weekend escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. The moment we arrived we were greeted by the friendly in-keeper Andrew. He immediately made us feel right at home and took us to our charming suite the Roosevelt Suite. I must say the room was even more beautiful in person than in it was in pictures. The six foot claw foot tub, is perfect for a relaxing soak, and should be taken full advantage of while you stay. The manor is truly beautiful. Each room has it's own distinct charm and you can tell that it was all done as a labor of love. The owners also made time to visit with their guests over tasty wine and cheese the day we arrived. They are a delightful couple and genuinely want to make their guests happy. The owner Biff's likes to say "yes we can" when it comes to making his costumers happy. I've even heard stories of them bringing in elephant for a future wedding. I can not say enough wonderful things about our stay there.... except for go and experience it for yourself!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 25 February 2011

My boyfriend and I made the short trip to Rosemont from DC last weekend after purchasing a Living Social deal. The week before I contacted Andrew the Innkeeper to tell him about my food restrictions. He was fantastic about providing me with food I could eat at breakfast and in my picnic lunch and really went above and beyond. The Manor is beautifully redone and we got the Nixon Suite which has a lovely sleeping porch and view of the Mountains. We explored all the great local wineries and had great service at the Battletown Inn (special thanks to the bartender Tracy who made our evening wonderful). I would 100% go back!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berryville
Hampton Inn Winchester-North
Towne Place Suites
Towne Place Suites
#17 of 25 in Winchester
L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast

Been to Rosemont Manor? Share your experiences!