I debated rating this property poor or average. This hotel defines the budget hotel class. The location, while convenient for my needs this weekend, is in an out-of the way area neither near downtown Blacksburg, the campus nor Christiansburg. The surrounding area is kind of dumpy and run-down, with closed businesses across the street and sort of a gritty industrial area.
Initial impressions were OK, but that ended on entering the tiny lobby. Kind of run-down and dated, with loose, stained ceiling tiles and dim lighting. The public use computer was also in the lobby and interfered with getting to the desk to check-in.
Once checked-in, guests are treated to the most unusual layout of a domestic hotel I had ever encountered, as we maneuvered our bags around maids carts and laundry carts through what we thought was the laundry room and maid service area but was actually a common waiting area for the one elevator.
Our room was adequate, but the lumpy mattress left something to be desired. I know these hotels get a lot of use - every hotel room in the area is booked on a football weekend in Blacksburg, but the furniture was worn and needed replacement - the upholstered desk chair arms were showing the padding and the back was broken making it unusable. The bathroom was clean, but spartan - loose showerhead (which was fine for anyone 5'-4" tall or shorter, but required gyration to get wet if taller than that), coarse towels better suited to removing paint from wood, no ventilation, etc.
If you are accustomed to what Comfort Inns offer and are looking for that experience, or if you are looking for a particular location and this is property has the only rooms available, by all means, consider this hotel. Otherwise....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Comfort Inn Blacksburg is located on South Main Street, just minutes from the main campus of Virginia Tech. With easy access to Interstate 81 and U.S. Highway 460, the hotel is approximately forty minutes from Roanoke Regional Airport. Other nearby attractions include Smithfield Plantation, Warm Hearth Village, and Heritage Hall Nursing Home. The hotel is convenient to Blacksburg Industrial Park and the downtown business district, as well as the Christiansburg Aquatic Center and a full array of shops and restaurants at the nearby New River Valley Mall. The Comfort Inn Blacksburg is the affiliate hotel for the Virginia Tech Corporate Research Center and the Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine, and is located directly across Main Street from LewisGale Hospital at Montgomery. For full service meals, the local favorite El Mariachi Restaurant and Cantina is adjacent to the hotel. Other restaurants located no more than 5 minutes and within a 2 mile radius include Outback Steakhouse, Red Lobster, Golden Corral, Olive Garden, O'Charley's, & Texas Roadhouse just to name a few. The Comfort Inn Blacksburg offers these full-service amenities and features: - Free wireless high-speed Internet access - Free local calls - Free hot breakfast - Free weekday newspapers - Free shuttle from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Mon-Fri (Advance reservations required) - Free coffee available 24/7 in the lobby Your morning breakfast is full of hot and delicious options making breakfast at the Comfort Inn Blacksburg the perfect way to start your day. Enjoy our free hot breakfast featuring eggs, sausage, biscuits, yogurt, fresh fruit, cereal, and more-including your choice of hot waffle flavors. Our guests enjoy relaxing in the seasonal outdoor heated pool, with an expansive view of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. Our hospitality suite is perfect for social gatherings and receptions, and catering can be arranged by our friendly staff. For business travelers a complimentary 24-hour business center is at your service for printing, faxing, and general use of a computer with Internet access. A fully equipped meeting room is available for meetings and social functions. It's easy to stay connected with our free high-speed wireless internet access throughout the hotel, with wired in-room internet service for secure connections. All well-appointed guest rooms come with refrigerators, microwaves, coffee makers, irons, ironing boards, hair dryers, and cable television with free HBO (R). Whirlpool bathtub rooms available in Kings or Doubles. King rooms include computer desks and fully adjustable work chairs. We are a pet friendly hotel, and just 2 miles from the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine. Whether in Blacksburg for business or pleasure, the Comfort Inn Blacksburg is the right place to be. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Choice Hotels, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Comfort Inn Blacksburg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Blacksburg Comfort Hotel Blacksburg
- Blacksburg Comfort Inn
- Comfort Inn Blacksburg Virginia