“Undercooked Pasta, Horse-Themed Decor”
Review of Zeppoli's

Zeppoli's
Ranked #13 of 127 Restaurants in Blacksburg
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 August 2014

While I appreciate the great service we received from our waitress, this restaurant fits squarely into the average category. First things first, the entire restaurant is decorated with horse paintings. Like, 30 horse paintings.

Our food was mediocre at best; under-cooked pasta that was severely lacking in goodies (i.e. bacon) but plentiful in previously frozen peas and too-heavy sauce. Cheesy garlic bread was a 0 out of 10 on garlic levels.

The best things I had were the house Cabernet (exceptional) and olive loaf (free!).

There are newer reviews for Zeppoli's

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Zeppoli's used to be my favorite italian restaurant in town. Great dishes, always loved (and still do) the shrimp cappelinni. For one reason or another I hadn't been back in a couple years. I was disappointed that the place had aged a bit. And this might seem terribly petty, but there were plastic table cloths on the tables. When you live in a college town where most restaurants are college fare, it was nice to actually go to a place that had cloth tablecloths and napkins. It really bummed me out. It used to have a much more upscale atmosphere and feel, even the service used to be more attentive. This time around it felt like the restaurant itself was just tired. Luckily the food is still good! The one thing they are upscale on is the wine selection and knowledge and pairing. The owner even has wine pairing classes. I just wish it would return to that place I felt like dressing up to go to.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

If you are Italian, you know there is more to our cooking than spaghetti and meatballs or chicken alfredo. I am always disappointed whenIi go to an Italian restaurant and the comfort food that Nonna made is not on the menu. Even more heartbreaking is to find no cannoli on the dessert menu. I have to say Zepolli's menu had a variety of home cooked favorites. In fact, I had trouble choosing what I wanted to eat but no problem selecting my dessert. The restaurant had a nice atmosphere and no shortage of customers. The service was excellent. The wines were good and our meal came out at a relaxing pace. No rushing here! The server took time to explain dishes on the menu, portion sizes of appetizers and engaged our party with pleasant remarks. It was a wonderful experience and I highly recommend, if in town, you give it a try.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

It has been about 4 years since my last visit. They have gone downhill in quality. Service was simply mediocre. I ordered their standart Taste of Italy. The linguine was excellent, as was the meatball. The chicken parmesan was burnt on the outside to the point that about 1/3 of it was inedible, the rest of simply overcooked. The remainder was acceptable. My guest had some simply pasta and vegetables; it was cooked well, but bland.

When I mentioned the chicken parmesan to the waitress, she simply said, "oh, sorry," and that was that.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We were celebrating granddaughter's VA TECH graduation!! This is my daughter's favorite place to dine !!! THE SERVICE WAS IMPECCABLE, THEIR CHOICE OF WINES AND ALL OUR MEALS WERE DONE PERFECTLY DELICIOUS, EVEN OUR 7'year old grandson loved loved his pasta!!! The desserts were also delicious!! This is one of the best ITALIAN RESTAURANTS we have dined ...almost like being in ITALY!!! OH, JOY IN OUR PALATES!!!

Been to Zeppoli's? Share your experiences!