“Good Burgers, Slow Service”
Review of Mike's Grill - CLOSED

Mike's Grill
Cuisines: American
Description: Great Burger and Pizza Joint - favorite spot of VT college students and alumni.
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I was in Blacksburg with my family and we stopped at Mikes for dinner. The highlight of the meal was definitely the burgers - they were huge and tasted great. The interior of the restaurant could use an update - it looks about the same as it did in 1986 when I last visited Mike's. Even though they were not very busy we while we were there, the service was slow and not overly friendly. I had to stand by the cash register for at least 5 minutes and was passed, but not acknowledged by several employees before someone would take my money for the check.

Reviewed 22 April 2013

I went here on a recommendation from a VT alum. She said to not be deceived by the lackluster interior because the burgers were so good. The interior was pretty lackluster though. There is a difference between old-style/retro/nostalgic and tired. This place was tired. Hulking old TVs, dim lights, and old tables and booths were the highlight here. The menu is very small--pretty much a hamburger or bust it seems.

I ordered a burger, and it took quite awhile to come out. When it did, it was very good, albeit gargantuan. I actually managed to finish the entire thing. The burger was juicy and served on an upside down bun which was an interesting look. Service was fine--really nothing to write home about. The cashier somehow got overwhelmed with 2 customers in line--she seemed thoroughly confused.

Overall, the place needs a facelift. The burgers are quite good, but the atmosphere needs some serious help.

Reviewed 5 April 2013

Very good food and service... very clean and centrally located. We ate here on Easter weekend and loved it.

Reviewed 29 November 2012 via mobile

Mikes Grill advertises...
100% chuck that is ground fresh daily on site, we offer signature hamburgers that folks talk about throughout the Blacksburg community
Both my traveling companion and I beg to differ.
We went to Mikes expecting to have a great burger and when we received or burger it appeared to be a large processed burger and was only average in taste - a long way from being a fresh quality hamburger.

Reviewed 13 November 2012

I have been going to Mike's since I was a baby, and my favorite thing about it is that the menu or feel of the restaurant hasn't changed. It has not gone down hill and continues to provide great food and service in a relaxed atmosphere. Their burgers are my particular favorite, and I always share a large fry with whoever I'm with. I was recently in Blacksburg after years of being gone and was pleased to find that Mike's was as good as ever.

1  Thank spatlovesbama