“Disappointed....stick to the basics”

Cellar Restaurant & 6-Pak Store
Ranked #3 of 126 Restaurants in Blacksburg
Price range: US$6 - US$16
Cuisines: Italian, American, Bar, Pizza, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Description: The Cellar Restaurant and 6-Pak Beer Store is located in downtown Blacksburg Virginia directly across from Va Tech campus. We have been serving Greek and American food since 1963. Our signature dishes include homemade Meat Lasagne, Greek spaghetti, Moussaka, Tiropita, Spanakopita with tzatziki sauce, Pasta Aegean with shrimp, Spinach salad and Greek Salads, Mushroom and Shrimp Raviolis, 6144 different Calzone combinations and The Best Pizza south of Chicago. We also have an expanded Beer shop with over 300 different beers from all over the world.
Brighton, Michigan
“Disappointed....stick to the basics”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I had a disappointing meal at The Cellar during a recent visit...but I chalk that up to straying from the basics they seemed to be known for, and ordering one of their daily specials.

We went here as a party of four. Our sever was very friendly, but she turned out to be not that great of a server. Each of the four of us had our order delivered incorrectly, and we're not really offered the opportunity to correct...our server actually acted annoyed that we kept on brining up items.

I ordered their special of a surf and turf....the dish sounded excellent, and I was looking forward to the meal. The daily special menu clearly stated the meal came with either a soup or salad, but neither was asked for, nor was it delivered. When I asked the server if I could get my soup or salad, she said it would be an additional $2. When I pointed out the menu stating that a soup or salad came with the meal, she continued to state that it was, for an extra $2. (Which the menu definitely did not stage...and for the price of the special, one would assume it was included!).

When my meal arrived, it came with asparagus, although I ordered broccoli. Fortunately, though, my colleague got the broccoli when he ordered the asparagus, so we just switched. The shrimp and potatoes were lukewarm at best when delivered. The steak was a bit warmer, but I did not get a steak knife, and attempted to butcher the meat with a butter knife, while waiting for a proper utensil (which arrived ten minutes later after two requests).

My colleagues said their meals were acceptable...they stuck to some of the more "traditional" items on the menu.

All in all, I was very disappointed in my meal....I think largely due to the sub standard service.

On the,positive side, the "6-pak" shop attached to the restaurant had a simply amazing selection of beer, and was definitely a highlight.

• Visited May 2014

Nellysford, VA
“Great food”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We went there for a rehearsal dinner. You have to circle for awhile to find parking, but the tapas are great. Service wonderful. Chicken kabobs a little spicy, but spanikopita were awesome.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank ChefGeorge1
Centreville, Maryland
“Outdoors on graduation day”
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Lucky to find a table on graduation day the place was busy but our server managed to get it done. We had a nice lasagna and chicken souvlaki. Beer selection seems a highlight here and glad to find a very cold Newcastle on draft. Besides the large family group who were literally sitting at our table and all talking loud it was a pretty good find for lunch.

Richmond, Virginia
“Old favorite”
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Back in the day this was a favorite spot for food and entertainment. Last night my wife and I stopped in for dinner and had a pretty good meal for a great price. We sat at the bar as the place was crowded with all ages from babies to a pretty old couple. Forgot what a good place this was.

Visited April 2014
Richmond, Virginia, USA
“Great Pizza Spot”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The Cellar Restaurant is a great place to stop in for a pizza or a variety of other dishes. The restaurant is casual, offering 3 types of seating. There is patio seating out front along the road; there is indoor seating of casual tables; there is basement seating which is where most diners order beer. We did not check out the basement, but the patio and indoor dining were perfectly comfortable.

We ordered fries and pizza. The pizza was a different variety than we had tried before, and we enjoyed it. The crust was quite tasty and of a thin, slightly chewy texture.

The service was a bit slow. Honestly, we could have made pizza at home in the time it took to be served, but we were not at all in a hurry and did not mind. I do not know whether we were experiencing typical service speeds or not. The service was, however, perfectly friendly.

The Cellar is right next to Virginia Tech's campus, so it is an easy walk from the school. If you want a local place to drop in for lunch or dinner, it is an easy place to stop.

• Visited April 2014