“Food cooked with love”
Review of Excellent Table - CLOSED

Excellent Table
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

This place is very good to visit. I couldn't necessarily eat it everyday but I could def have a craving for it. Home cooked and prepared daily. No fast food. Owner is beautiful!!!! Will go back!!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

To say "hidden gem" doesn't fully capture this truly special eating experience. This is a hidden, hole in the wall, restaurant, providing the best Ethiopian food I have had, ever! My children go the Virginia Tech, and we go to this place every time I am in town.

The owner/chef/waitress puts her heart into her cooking because she wants "everyone to enjoy the food" and she really means it. Ethiopian food is typically served communally, using bits of a special flat bread to scoop up your food rather than utensils (although the owner provides utensils as needed). The chef will season your food to your tastebuds, and there is truly something on the menu for everyone at The Excellent Table. The menu is constantly changing depending on what the owner can get locally. Everything tastes fresh because it is fresh.

If you are looking for a wonderful meal, and a unique eating experience, this is the place for you! There is seating for 8 to 10 inside the restaurant and a few tables right outside. BYOB but no set ups are provided. It's difficult to find; it's just to the left of the REAR entrance to Champs Sports Bar.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We just ate at Excellent Table and it was fantastic! It was our first time eating Ethiopian food and we weren't disappointed. The WONDERFUL owner was so helpful as we were trying to figure out what to get and we were even given samples to try. The place is small, but very cozy and located just behind the downtown farmers market parking area.

From what we can tell and have read, the menu changes to keep things fresh but everything sounded and tasted great.

We definitely recommend eating at the Excellent Table the next time you're in Blacksburg or just looking for a great meal.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

My husband and I have eaten at Excellent Table several times and in comparison to some D.C. Ethiopian places, this place is wonderful. The owner is very sweet and helpful, and the food is delicious!

Reviewed 8 October 2013

I probably will never have a chance to travel to Ethiopia, but I can say that I've enjoyed its food! Located in the Farmer's Market area in downtown Blacksburg, this hole in the wall, take-out-only restaurant, deserves praise. The fare is wholesome, not too spicy or 'weird,' and you feel like you've eaten authentic food from another land. The owner/chef is Ethiopian, so it is indeed the real thing! Town-provided tables are nearby, so an Ethiopian picnic makes an enjoyable evening on the town.