“Good casual eatery”

Ranked #17 of 128 Restaurants in Blacksburg
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Description: At Blacksburg Taphouse we take pride in offering premium foods featuring fresh local products and a wide selection of beers on 36 taps which change daily! We also feature premium spirits and wine to accommodate the most discerning palates.
Reviewed 7 March 2014

My sister and I tried The Blacksburg Taphouse for our regular Wednesday night outing. The reviews sounded promising and the website indicated that an experienced chef created nightly dinner specials along with their regular sandwich and salad menu.
The good:
First of all, we loved the playful menu. It was a take off on the university, calling the lunch menu the commuter lot, etc. The burger menu was extensive. They use only local grass fed beef. The descriptions sound great. My sister ordered the Rockefeller burger. It was 13.50. The patty was large, and the chef cooked it as requested. It was tasty, and very juicy. I ordered the crab sliders, which were 3 crab cakes on small slider rolls. We both ordered the fries with our sandwiches. My crab cakes were delicious. The fries were good. They are not really a wine bar, but the house wine was drinkable and they served it in the appropriate glass.
The not so good:
The waitress forgot my remoulade sauce, and I had to flag her down to get it. My fries were not crisp, but my sisters were. My sister tried to smoke a cigarette in the cigar room, and was told that cigarettes were offensive. We were also asked if we had paid the bill in a way that suggested we were trying to skip out on it by the employee in the cigar lounge. We are 2 well dressed middle aged local ladies, not likely to skip out on the bill.
In conclusion:
We will try the Taphouse again. I feel it is in the upper 25% of restaurants in Blacksburg, which unfortunately isn't saying a whole lot, but they are doing some things very well.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

First let me say in full disclosure that the owner of the Taphouse is a friend for whom I have known for many years, but if I didn't really think the food and atmosphere was great I would not post this review. I am not a big micro beer drinker so that aspect of the Taphouse I will leave for others to review, but as far as the food is concerned, it is among the best you will find in Blacksburg. I have had several entrees which have all been good but my favorite is the burger. I also love the hand cut fresh onion rings. They are so much better than the pre-packaged frozen onion rings most places sell. Absolutely fantastic. Aside from the great food, if you are a cigar smoker, you have to visit the cigar lounge on the second floor which is completely separate from the main floor dining room and on a separate ventilation system (non-smokers), The room is decked out with its own private bar, leather couches and chairs, and several big screen televisions. There is also a private balcony and stairs to the outside. The owner has installed the very best smoke eaters on the market and they are so good that you can hardly tell when you leave that you just spent two hours enjoying your favorite hand rolled cigar. There is a big selection of great cigars from which to choose but you can also bring your own although you may have to pay a small cut fee if you did not buy the cigars from the owner's cigar store. Basically its the same deal as bringing your own wine to a restaurant and paying a corkage fee. It's worth it though. Go to the Blacksburg Taphouse for the food and stay for a nice cigar. You won't be sorry.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

My husband and I have eaten here twice and been very happy with our choices each time. Lots of attention paid to the details of the food which is unusual in a college town. And the food is very reasonably priced as well. But be warned..the beer will QUICKLY add up! Two burgers with sides plus 2 (high octane) beers was over $40 with tip...a bit much for lunch.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I have visited the Taphouse several times since it has opened, and have had some of the greatest meals I have ever had! The food is outstanding, and the selection of beer is great. The combinations of flavors on the plates is amazing, and have learned to trust the chef's judgement. I can't recommend this place enough, especially brunch and the dinner specials. Also, always ask if soups are made, you won't regret it!

Give this place a shot, and I am sure you will come back!

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Served with an ample amount of french fries that were worth the price of admission (i couldn't finish the serving after the burger), The burger is definitly a one hand meal, cooked to order from locally sourced beef, in house cured pancetta, and sweet onions. Num Num.

THE TRUTH.

Any and all styles on beer on offer plus well made cocktails from a rail that would be most bars call level.

Parking is tight, but where in Blacksburg is the parking not tight?