“Nice stay right on campus”

The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Blacksburg
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Rooms are comfortable and layout is nice. It is nice to have a frig in the room. There is a constant "leaking" sound of water associated with the air conditioning that you have to listen to while you are sleeping. There doesn't appear to be a fan/vent in the bathroom making any sounds able to be heard outside the bathroom...makes you very uncomfortable.
The breakfast buffet is amazing. The buffet chef/omelet maker has the right personality that makes you want to enjoy an omelet and goes out of his way to provide you with whatever you need; however the wait staff was a bit pushy and anxious to clear our plates before we were finished.
The meeting facilities are exceptional and the wait staff for the lunch and refreshments are very friendly and accommodating.
The front desk staff as well as shuttle drivers and maintenance crew are exceptionally nice and there to help you with whatever you need.
I would recommend this hotel to a friend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with somewhat of a view and not the parking lot.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Tom S, General Manager at The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear 777lsage:

It was great to read about your experience at The Inn at Virginia Tech. I'm glad our staff was so helpful. I'm sorry you had difficulties with noise from the air conditioning unit in your room. Our Room Attendant should have noted that for correction prior to your arrival.

Thank you for sharing your comments. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again and show you our Hokie Hospitality.

Tom Shaver

There are newer reviews for The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed at the Inn during a visit to the college with my upcoming college age son. The location was perfect for our purposes. It was easy to get to. Right on campus (though to be honest, across the street were other hotels). The price was on the same lines as the other nearby hotels. The room and hotel was very clean, comfortable, and pleasant. Beds were comfortable, though pillows were a little soft for my taste. But there were plenty of them. There is a restaurant in the hotel, though I did not try the food. We ventured out. The Inn is right next to the Undergraduate Admissions office, so very convenient for college visits.

My check in was smooth and quick, as was check out.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear VA_Brad:

Thank you for sharing these comments with fellow travelers. We know they like to see what other guests have to say about our hotel.

We appreciate your business and your kind comments. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Just spent the night while helping our recent grad move out of town.

The inn is attractive. Rooms are large and comfortable, but a little dated.

I was surprised by the room to room noise. Maybe they are trying for the 'dorm experience'. You could hear conversations and lots of plumbing noise.

Staff is helpful when engaged, but generally inattentive.

Overall, a nice place in a great location, but not a very good value

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Bob M:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay at The Inn at Virginia Tech. I'm sorry our staff was not more attentive during your visit. We know how important it is to engage with our guests - and so many of our staff members are students, They can be very helpful when visitors need information about the University and the campus.

Congratulations on your student's graduation. I know that is an exciting time for any family.

Thank you again for your comments. We hope you will return one day to see the results of our improvement efforts.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

My son and his finance recently got married in the chapel at Virginia Tech. Family and friends stayed at the Inn. Many of us were there for 3 days. My experience differed from those offered by other reviewers. My room was very nice, not in any way dated. It was large, inviting and very comfortable. The staff offered wonderful service, and went above and beyond in many cases. We also used the Inn for the reception, and it was beautiful. The dinner was delicious and the service was very good. All in all, I was extremely pleased with all aspects of my stay. Thank you for making the wedding weekend even more special.

Room Tip: I would recommend staying on the third floor,
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear BMBF-3:

Thank you for sharing the review of your recent stay at The Inn at Virginia Tech. We appreciated the opportunity to host your son's wedding party. I know it was a special experience to have their ceremony on the campus.

If you are back in Blacksburg in the future, I hope we will have the opportunity to accommodate you again.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Great customer service, nice lobby (with outdoor seating), meeting rooms and breakfast area. Rooms are pretty big. Right within the Viriginia Tech campus --- close to downtown, several restaurants and cafes in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Travelnow2011db:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about a recent stay at The Inn at Virginia Tech. We were glad to see that you enjoyed your visit. If your travels bring you back to Blacksburg, we hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

This hotel could not be more convenient to the Virginia Tech campus. If you are staying here to visit the university or take a tour, I would highly recommend it if you can get a decent rate. However, I do not think that the actual hotel lives up to its price or star rating. The room was dated - the bedding was worn and the amenities haven't been replaced in ages. The bed was not even made up completely and mine had a top sheet that was used on top of the mattress that would slide off the bed. The room had two double beds, an old tv, and the carpets did not really seem clean. However, since I was only in the room to sleep and did not spend much time in the hotel, I felt like the price I paid was worth it as I received it on a discount site and you really can't beat the location. I would not pay full price for this hotel and I really think it deserves to be placed down a star category because of how worn it is.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Spatlovesbama:

Thank you for the review of your recent stay at The Inn at Virginia Tech. I'm sorry you were disappointed with the condition of your room. I am pleased to tell you that we will be completing a renovation of our guestrooms later this year. We have already begun - last week, we replaced all the beds throughout the building and we have added refrigerators in each room. More changes are coming and we are excited to bring these improvements.

We appreciate your business and hope we will have the opportunity to accommodate you on a future visit.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed here during VT orientation. The Inn is quite lovely & very quiet, with large rooms; the location is ideal if you're visiting VT, and the staff were polite and enthusiastic, but as some other reviewers have noted - the rooms are a bit dated. I also wish they'd put in Queen beds, as 2 adults sleeping in a double (we were traveling as a family and needed 2 sep beds) is not always comfortable, esp. with pillow-top mattresses which retain a lot of body heat. We did enjoy the breakfast buffet at Prestons -- real eggs, sausage, lovely fresh fruit, etc. But for $200/night, seems like b'fast could have been included in the rate. The small gym was quite adequate and the equipment worked just fine. Our room was not cleaned until very late in the day - after 4:30 - but that wasn't a big deal for us on our timetable.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Tom S, General Manager at The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear WishfulThinkerz:

Thank you for staying at The Inn at Virginia Tech during your recent visit to Blacksburg. We appreciate your business.

We will be completing a renovation and update of our guestrooms this year, replacing all the soft goods and seating throughout. I am confident our guests will appreciate the upgrades we are bringing to the hotel.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you on a future visit to Virginia Tech.