“Convenient, clean, and comfortable”

Courtyard Blacksburg
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Blacksburg
Philadelphia, PA
“Convenient, clean, and comfortable”
Reviewed 2 September 2014

My family and I recently stayed in the Courtyard during a trip to Virginia Tech to see a football game. They allowed a single night stay which was great (instead of the usual 2 night minimum required for football weekends). The hotel isn't right on campus but is very convenient to both Main Street and the 460 bypass which worked out perfectly for our trip. The manager and front desk staff were very welcoming. They let us use the hotel safe to keep our laptops in during the game even though it was before our official check-in time. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the hotel was very well kept up.

My only complaint about our stay was related to breakfast. The buffet breakfast isn't free and they even will do made to order eggs and omelets and on some days have other specials as well. However, my daughter has egg and peanut allergies and when I asked the two staff members at breakfast about ingredients, they had no idea what I was talking about. They spoke very little English and pointed me to the menu. When I tried to explain, they still didn't really seem to understand but told me that the items they serve don't have ingredients listed on the bags (I was particularly interested in the ingredients listed for the English muffins, bagels, and bread which I bet probably do have ingredients listed). Ultimately, this wasn't a deal breaker (unfortunately many places aren't ready to deal with true food allergies), but it is why I couldn't rate the hotel 5 stars.

We would stay here again but would skip the breakfast, especially since it isn't free.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank KEI2001
CourtyardBlacksburg, Director of Sales at Courtyard Blacksburg, responded to this review, 29 June 2015
Dear KEI2001,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay! We appreciate your kind words about our front desk associates and the property's convenient location to Main Street and the 460 bypass. I apologize for the experience you had with the breakfast buffet concerning your daughter's allergies. Since your visit, we have renovated the lobby with the addition of the Courtyard Bistro for breakfast and evening dining service. I can assure you with the new Bistro operations, our staff have completed extensive training to ensure this issue does not come up again. We hope to see you again for your next trip to a Virginia Tech football game.

With Hospitality,

The Courtyard by Marriott Blacksburg Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Great Falls, Virginia
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This is a very nice Courtyard, and a great option in the Blacksburg area. I travel a lot for business and am spoiled by staying in some very high end hotels, so I apologize that I reserve 5-star ratings for top end, expensive hotels that really provide the highest level of service (Ritz Carlton, JW Marriott, Intercontinental, etc.). Of course, that level of service comes with a steep price. As a result, 4-stars is the highest that I will ever rate the family-friendly hotels that provide a more modest level of service (Hampton, Courtyard, Hilton Garden Inn, etc.). That said, this Courtyard deserves the full 4 stars for offering great quality for the price. The hotel is clean, appears to be well run, and has large, comfortable areas for friends and sports teams to hang out in the lobby, watching TV or enjoying a drink. Our room was clean and spacious and everything felt fairly new. Everyone we spoke to at the front desk was friendly and eager to provide advice about local dining options, etc. The staff really set a nice tone for the hotel, and that was reflected in the many guests (it was quite full that weekend with a local swim meet) enjoying the small bar and large TV areas. Extra thanks to Abby at the front desk for being so helpful and pleasant. We will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Rooms clean, internet worked well. Pool fine. Breakfast tasty, although not included in cost. Room charge was $135 plus tax, breakfast about $8. We stayed in Room 214: air conditioner quiet, mattress and pillows comfortable. Staff friendly and professional. Advice to management: wallpaper in hallways shows torn spots and should be repaired/replaced to maintain appearance. We would return if in area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
United States
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed at this location while visiting Virginia Tech this past weekend. This Courtyard is just a few miles from the campus. The staff was very friendly and provided maps of the campus and also provided dining recommendations in the area. The cookies at the front desk were a welcome sight after our long drive. I'd definitely stay here again. Convenient and friendly!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Goochland, Virginia
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

The overall property is clean and comfortable inside and out with fair rates with a friendly and most helpful staff. The hotel is yet the upgrade to the new bistro cafe concept. My qualm involves two personal observations. The first occurred when I returned to my room in the early afternoon, the day after check-in. The housekeeper's two children (a boy and a girl ages maybe 8 or 9) where with her going in and out of the rooms (3rd floor low numbers) she was cleaning. Now, I have personal belongings in my room to in include my laptop. I'm sure these kids had been in my room as well which is unacceptable. Obviously, the housekeeper had no childcare so she brings her kids to work with her. I doubt any guest would find unauthorized individuals, yet children roaming about their room. The next morning when I was checking out I saw coming to work with her two kids in tow. So, this was on-going. To the hotel management-this practice should not be tolerated and must be immediately discontinued. The second observation was similar. Another child, maybe age 10 or 11, again most likely the child of a hotel staffer, was on one of the hotel computers reserved for hotel guests for over two hours during the afternoon. Again, not acceptable. The hotel management must take immediate and appropriate action with their staff.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
CourtyardBlacksburg, General Manager at Courtyard Blacksburg, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Terry B,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback about your stay. We appreciate your kind remarks about our cleanliness and friendly staff. Management was aware of the associate's children being at the property as the family was dealing with the death of a loved one. We understand and agree this would be uncomfortable situation for a guest to encounter and the issue has been addressed. We look forward to your return to Blacksburg in the future.

With Hospitality,

Tom Norman, General Manager
Broadway, Virginia
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Staff was friendly but did not know anything about the area. Motel was clean but had a lot of permanent stains. Time to upgrade. For the price I really did expect more. Breakfast was good, but not worth price of $8.80 per person. Many motels that include breakfast in price of the room, have just as good or better food. Drinks had to be ordered from a waitress (who rolled her eyes when my husband asked for juice).
Best thing about this motel was the bed. The mattress was wonderful and I slept well.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jo N
CourtyardBlacksburg, Director of Sales at Courtyard Blacksburg, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Jo N,

Thank you for visiting our property and writing a review. We appreciate feedback so we can continue to offer a great product and service. In regards to breakfast, unfortunately, the Courtyard brand does not offer a free breakfast. We will be rennovating our lobby during the forth quarter this year, which will have Starbucks coffee and alternate breakfast offerings.

We hope you will stay with us again!

The Courtyard by Marriott Blacksburg Team
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Hotel staff was extremely friendly, rooms were very nice and clean, location is perfect as well since it's right by the highway and just down the road from main street. Definitely my hotel of choice when staying in Blacksburg.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business