“Top customer service. Personal, smart, accommodating.”

Inn on Thistle Hill Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Boston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I planned a trip to Virginia for a friend's wedding in what I know is the 'high season' for the area (Fall). It was really difficult to find a place near the wedding that was nice and affordable. Practically impossible, actually.
I finally found the Inn on Thistle Hill and was enchanted by pictures and reviews, a lovely & unique room for a couple that was reasonably priced. I made a reservation.
A few weeks later, the innkeeper noticed that I had booked for a Thursday and Friday. She called me - I didn't answer. She tried again later that week, sent an email. She just wanted to make sure I didn't mean Friday and Saturday - which I did! What a lifesaver! I would have shown up without a hotel room the night of the actually wedding! Worse yet, I know that by then, it would have been impossible to find another.
She graciously changed by reservation and told another trying to reserve that room on Saturday that it was booked.

A couple more weeks pass and as it turns out, my boyfriend can't make the trip due to work. I have to cancel that reservation! But they stayed true to their policy. It was ten days before the event so I received a refund.

I do hope that one day I get to stay here. If they are this wonderful to guests before they even arrive, I can only imagine what exceptional service they provide.

Room Tip: There are many pictures on the website. Call in and ask for more pictures, information if you like.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kathryn m
There are newer reviews for Inn on Thistle Hill Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 4 September 2012

Stayed for our honeymoon and couldn't have been more pleased with the Inn On Thistle Hill. Frank and Seane were warm, friendly, and accommodating from our very first email asking for a late check in and special diet requests. We were assured that wasn't a problem and we booked the Gold Room.

The room was beautiful and as pictured on the website. The bed was very comfortableWe were pleasantly surprised to see the older TV in the room as no TV was mentioned on the website, so a nice little bonus there! We also learned that the Great Room had a flat screen we were welcome to use. Our room was thoughtfully set up and stocked with fresh towels, soap, and shampoo. When we arrived late after the wedding we were greeted with a tray with water and ice PLUS fresh fruit and granola bars! What a thoughtful touch!

The grounds are a little in need of maintenance and we were told there are plans for that next spring. The deck adjoining our room was furnished with table and chairs and was private with an ivy canopy. Seane even made sure we had a lighter and lamp out there.

Breakfast was served late at our request and I was again pleasantly surprised to find an umbrella hanging on the door for us to use along our way to the Breakfast Room since it was raining. And the food was just delicious. Everything was fresh and natural ingredients are used in all dishes.We also opted for the candlelit gourmet dinner which was absolutely beautiful and sinfully delicious. We tried foods that we have never considered eating before (cabbage and raw tomatoes for me!) because everything Frank served was so great and we enjoyed everything.

Overall we had a good visit, the food was excellent, and the room was clean and comfortable. Frank and Seane are warm friendly people and they made us feel welcome and at ease throughout our trip. This is the place to go for relaxation and delicious food in a comfortable, homey environment!

Room Tip: The Gold Room overlooks the Great Room in a secluded part of the main house and has a full bath and...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JenV0831
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I really really wish we had had a better experience, especially for what we paid! The whole experience was, quite frankly, akward.

First, let me say that the owners are very nice, friendly, and outgoing.

However, when we were first shown around, all of the projects needing attention around the property (such as the pile of rusty objects to the side of the yard just not yet thrown out) were promptly pointed out to us. After this, it was difficult to not let the sore need for upkeep be quite distracting. (Honestly, we might not have otherwise noticed SO much of it had we just been shown to our room!)

What really bothered us, however, was that instead of fixing a drafty door, a rolled-up towel was to be laid across the bottom. This may be why our room had sugar ants, because the door was not properly sealed. At first this didn't bother me because I only noticed one or 2 ants in the bathroom and near the door. Unfortunately both my husband and I woke in the middle of the night to find the sugar ants crawling on us in bed!!! (And no, we didn't eat anything in bed.) We had already been told the place was sold out, so waking the owners at 1am didn't seem worth the hassle, and we had seen no chain hotels along the route we drove into the area or we would have simply left. Obviously neither of us could get good sleep after this. The room must have been cleaned right before we checked in, and this would account for why we didn't at first see so many ants in the room, because they continued to be quite active throughout the room even after we returned from breakfast. Luckily we only stayed one night.

Breakfast was also awkward. It was very difficult to converse with other guests at the table because the gentleman cooking breakfast in the adjoining kitchen liked to intermittently sing very loudly while cooking. We often had to ask the other couple to repeat what they had just said or to wait for a break in the music in order to continue conversation.

The owners took pride in the fact that the drinking water undergoes a special process, but it had a very strong and unusual taste, especially when used in the coffee, and I'm pretty sure it contributed to my stomach being quite upset after breakfast. (Nothing that we had eaten at breakfast would have caused this, and I don't tend to have issues even with foreign travel.) I just wish they had told us it wasn't from the tap BEFORE we tried drinking it because I would have gladly run to the store to pick up my own.

We won't be back.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank PollitoChiquito
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We stayed for a couples get away weekend and were satisfied with our stay. Our goals were to go hiking, sleep like logs, and eat well. All of this was accomplished. The location is ideal for hiking Old Rag, we slept really well, and the breakfasts were filling and tasty.
However, this is not the place to go for luxury. The rooms were comfortable but outdated and in need of renovation in some areas. The hosts were somewhat ex-hippie-ish but very welcoming, open, and accommodating. All in all a successful trip that got the important things right.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DCTourist1
Reviewed 6 March 2009

My wife needed a "mom's weekend away" after long periods of time with a husband traveling constantly, three kids needing constant attention and a house that never seemed to stay clean. I researched local bed and breakfast spots and came across The Inn at Thistle Hill. The geographic placement of the Inn and its photos clearly leaned toward it being more "user friendly" during spring/summer/fall time periods and not the dead of winter. BOY, was I wrong! From the moment my wife showed up at the Inn until the moment she drove away, she got the feeling from the owners that they truly cared about her as a guest. Not only were they inquisitive as to what she would enjoy most during her visit, they also asked in advance if she preferred certain foods, her spa treatments at certain times, whether she would enjoy a nice wine at dinner, etc. They really made ME feel like my wife would enjoy her "Mom" time. And she was NOT disappointed!

From my wife's descriptions, she REALLY enjoyed the Aqua-Chi treament (HIGHLY recommended!), loved the room and how comfortable it was and thought the meal she was served that night was absolutely delicious. Normally, I have great concerns about ensuring that she does have good quality "Mom" time and I took a chance with no background information on the Inn other than the website. But my faith, from my wife's descriptions, was well placed in the Inn's owners and she came home refreshed, relaxed and vibrant from the pampering she enjoyed during her visit. I can only imagine what the Inn is like during the spring/summer, but I definitely intend to find out with a return visit sometime in the future!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank warrior5925
Reviewed 18 December 2006

I booked a room at the Inn before I read to Trip Advisor review, so you can imagine my fear that I made a huge mistake. All I can say is that I went there thinking I will have a dreadful experience, and when I got there I discovered something entirely different. Frank and Seane (who run the place) are warm, nice people, very friendly, who made us feel at home. Frank is an excellent chef and dinner/breakfast were amazing to say the least! I loved eating everything he offered. The room is nice, average, but nothingout of the ordinary for a regular bed and breakfast. Nothing fancy but not so bad either. All I can say is that the reviews don't give justice to the nice people over there, which is why I decided to write about my own experience.

Stayed: December 2006
3  Thank gargour
Reviewed 9 May 2005

I visited Thistle Hill with my sig other and two other couples. We were all, on the whole, quite disappointed. We felt so ripped off-- their rooms should be half the price she charges.

This B&B is... idiosyncratic and not a fraction as classy as it appears to be on the website. I have to say in the inn's defense, breakfast was delicious, the inkeepers are hospitable and the beds were extremely comfortable. BUT its problems were manifold, especially for a place charging $125 for the cheapest room!

Problem 1. Our room (the agressively pink Rose Cottage) *reeked* of pot. When I mentioned that to the owner, she said brightly, "Oh, it's smelled that way for four years! And if anyone around here had any pot, boy, I'd sure like to know about it!"

How can that be your response? And how can you justify charging $125 for a room that's smelled strongly of pot for *four years*? Our friends joked about getting a contact high just by walking in the door. It stunk in more ways than one.

Problem 2. The bathrooms. No hot water! We had to wait while she turned it on in the morning (you'd think she would have thought to do that BEFORE we were all up and waiting for our showers....at 9:30 AM!) Also, water pressure was laughably weak, and no soap or shampoo is provided. Again, at these prices, is it too much to expect a freaking bottle of shampoo?

Problem 3. The flakiness! The inkeeper said she could give my us directions to the Inn at Little Washington. When I went to get them, she gave me a map of Culpeper- -a completely different town and hence useless--and said, "Oh, to get to the inn at Little Washington? Just go to Little Washington and you'll see it." That's as specific as she got. On the other hand, she did kindly lend us an umbrella when it was raining. Which promptly broke. Ans one final, hilarious note? The Inn at Thistle Hill is at the BOTTOM of the hill.

In sum, the innkeepers are nice but they charge way too much and misrepresent how lovely the place is on their website. If you subscribe to their methods of New Age healing (and pay many hundreds of dollars to take advantage of them) you may get more out of the experience than we did.

• Stayed: May 2005
6  Thank mollyd123
paperclip888, Owner at Inn on Thistle Hill Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2008

This travel review is from 2005. I know who wrote it. When I first read it, my heart fell to my feet. The untruths and bitterness contained in it were extremely saddening and, frankly, the injustice of her comments made me too upset to be able to respond properly at the time and for all this time after. I guess I just hoped it would go away. But it hasn’t. And all the many, many people who have come here and enjoyed their visits, the food, and the environment haven’t been enough to counter this one little review.

We bed and breakfast innkeepers put our heart and soul in our B&B's. Physical well being often goes by the wayside when there's lots of work to be done and the Guest always comes First. Everything we do here, from decorating to cleaning, to cooking, to planting and tending the garden is accompanied by an inner thought, "Oh, I hope the guests like this. I want it to be beautiful/convenient/enjoyable for them."

I guess that's why the letter below bothered me so much. If it was true, well, I'd have to take my knocks as well as the many kudos we've received. But to lie about things and to purposely misrepresent and misquote......

I know that it's turned away some guests and did them out of an experience that they probably would have enjoyed. Most of you have come anyway and been surprised that such things as below were said.

The complaint about the prices seems to be her war-cry on most of her travel reviews which, I am sure are just as unfounded as this one. She always feels “ripped off.” Just check out her other reviews. The only one where she didn’t feel “ripped off” was in Mexico, where the average price of the rooms was $42.

She calls us idiosyncratic. Here's the definition of idiosyncratic: Meaning: Peculiar to the individual. Context examples: We all have our own idiosyncratic gestures / Michelangelo's highly idiosyncratic style of painting. Similar: individual; single (being or characteristic of a single thing or person)

It is my understanding that people who love to go to Bed and Breakfasts, go because each one is different and reflective of the personalities of the owners. Idiosyncratic, if you will. Ours is an unusual place with cottages instead of rooms in the main house and each cottage is different, separated from the others because they are cottages. Many of our guests have commented on the quietude.

She does say that “breakfast was delicious, the innkeepers are hospitable and the beds were extremely comfortable. BUT its problems were manifold, especially for a place charging $125 for the cheapest room!”

Now, let's see. A $1500 bed with 400 thread-count egyptian cotton sheets, individually ironed, delicious made-to-order breakfasts (no microwaves) and hospitable hosts. But, again with the price war-cry!

Problem 1. About the Rose *reeking* of pot. First of all, that's not what I said. This was the first and only complaint of this type I've ever had, and frankly, besides being somewhat shocked, I figured that they were smelling up the place and playing cover-up. I just didn't want to confront them on it.

The ROSE cottage is very pink. Not bubblegum pink, but a nice deep rose color. Most people like it. It has been scientifically shown that pink encourages calmness and lovingness. Apparently, it didn't work on her, sigh.

Problem 2. Well, there was a problem with the hot water. The automatic part of the hot water heater suddenly gave out. We had to replace the hot water heater for that cottage the following week. We offered them a much higher priced room, which they declined except to bathe and dress in, which they happily took advantage of, but, of course, made no mention.

I have no idea why she said there was no soap or shampoo. We provide soap, shampoo, creme rinse, ice bucket with ice, water jug filled with water, glasses and a snack. And wine glasses and coffee mugs upon request. It is possible that my assistant made a mistake. Most people would just ask instead of stew over it.

Problem 3. I always give people several maps of the area which include Culpeper, Sperryville, and Little Washington. They received explicit directions to Little Washington. Now, the village of Little Washington is comprised of three streets which intersect. At the intersection is the Inn at Little Washington. You CAN'T miss it. Notice that she didn't say that they got lost. It's impossible not to find the Inn. Most of Little Washington is the Inn at little Washington.

About my umbrella that I lent them. I'm not real sure how it was my fault that they broke it. I didn't try to charge them for it.

As for The Inn ON Thistle Hill being at the bottom of the hill..... You can see from the picture above which was taken halfway up the hill....., well, a picture is worth a thousand words.

In sum. I surely do wish that I did get many hundreds of dollars for the modalities we offer here. Most of the time, I include the modalities in the package deals and, of course, guests here get a discount if they choose to avail themselves of the Wellness Spa. I've had people think so highly of what we offer come from hours away every week for the Raindrop Technique with essential oils. When I lived in Canada, I had a 2-month waiting list for my skills.

New Age? The use of essential oils is over 5,000 years old. 2,000 years ago they were given to Christ upon his birth (Frankincense and Myrrh). The historical Frankincense Trail in the middle east is Famous. The Raindrop Technique combines ancient Tibetan, North American Indian, and modern techniques and is very relaxing, enjoyable and supportive of your health.

Regarding her hope that you get more out of the experience than they did, well, you know the old saying, you get out of an experience what you put into it. It's pretty obvious what this sad, bitter little soul put into her experience.

I've been a counselor for 30 years and was a tour director for 5 years and realize that there were some people that just aren't happy being happy. You know who I mean.... They get their enjoyment out of complaining and putting down others. It's a power trip kind of thing.

Unfortunately for the rest of us, it's very hard to get through life without running into a couple of these types and it's usually upsetting for all concerned. The important thing is to spot them and not to let a stranger’s view and experience of life affect yours.

We love to have people come here! You’ve all become a very extended family. We've met some of the most Wonderful People because of Thistle Hill and look forward to meeting You.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Boston
The Mimslyn Inn
#1 of 8 in Shenandoah National Park
Inn at Meander Plantation
Inn at Meander Plantation
#1 of 2 in Locust Dale

Been to Inn on Thistle Hill Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!