“Quiet, comfortable nada charming if a bit quirky”

Inn on Thistle Hill Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Boston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Comfortable, clean and quiet room. Friendly hosts. Frank is a great cook for breakfast, and tells great stories. Will go back for another her visit. The area gas breathtaking vistas and want to go during leaf peeping season.

Room Tip: Probably each room is good. Small inn so not a lot of choices. The gold room was delightful.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 March 2013

This is a nice B&B with a lot of character, the owners are very nice, the surrounding area is beautiful and it is a short drive from the Metro DC area. It is not so much like staying in a full service hotel, as staying with a pleasantly eccentric Aunt and Uncle. The breakfasts were fantastic, and Frank sings while he cooks and proudly brings out many of the items before he prepares them to show the guests and tell where each came from - Amish butter that comes in a cord rather than a stick; eggs gathered the day before from miles away; etc. It is all very charming and tastes delicious! We were coming for Valentines weekend, so I wanted to be sure I had everything planned and Seane spoke with me several times before I arrived to give me tips on the surrounding area. They are both such nice hosts!

Other than breakfast, they do not have regular kitchen service with the exception of a special romantic dinner that you must arrange ahead of time, but there are plenty of places nearby. We hiked Old Rag during our stay and it was only about 45 minutes away, as were several other nature areas and wineries. The bed was very comfortable and we had plenty of privacy in the Gold Room even though it is part of the wing where the romantic dinners are held and some of their "therapy" sessions take place (we didn't see another soul there and felt like we had the whole wing to ourselves at night).

The bathroom was clean, but dated, as were several other features - nothing horrendous, but if you are looking for complete perfection you should look elsewhere. Additionally, this is also a "Healing Center", so they sporadically went on about all the unscientific, new agey stuff you might expect that goes along with that...but honestly they were not overbearing about it and it just kind of added to the personality of the place.

This is run by a very sweet couple, is a convenient place to get away for the weekend, and I suspect we will go again in the spring or summer to really be able to enjoy the grounds.

Room Tip: Just call and tell Seane what you are looking for and she can recommend a room. They are all appare...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank A_Tropical_Snowstorm
Reviewed 26 January 2013

My husband and I wanted to get away for a night. We didn't want to travel far from home, and when we looked for B&Bs in our area, we found several on-line. Did we want to be in a posh environment or have a need for individual service? No. Did we need a myriad of activities at our fingertips? No. We needed something deeper, and truthfully, had no idea what was waiting for us at The Inn at Thistle Hill. We noted their "wellness" approach to cooking organic foods, and their offerings for "Raindrop" light massages and Aqua Chi foot baths. As a person who contracted an illness over 20 years ago and became almost completely debilitated in 2003, I was drawn to this website above all others.

Without being able to adequately describe each portion of our visit - let me say Frank is an amazing chef - his 5 course dinner was one of the best meals we have ever eaten... and by the light of 80 candles! And Seane is my image of Mother Earth. After my massage (amazing), she provided an energy consultation (at extra cost) and spent the entire day with me. What exactly did she do for me? She started my healing process. That sounds overstated, even as I write it, but it is true. I have consulted with over 30 medical professionals, and after one day with Seane... my life has changed. She possesses the knowledge, the ability... the GIFT for healing the body, mind and spirit. I will return to her care and am prepared to heal.

Is this a scam? Have I been hoodwinked? If I were reading this, I would ask these questions. Let me answer by saying that my husband (an engineer with one of the most skeptical minds I know) can see, hear and feel the changes in me. As a former educator, I am researched based and results driven. I have already lowered the dosage of two of my pain medications. We now share hope for returning to a more normal life.

So, is The Inn at Thistle Inn for you if you want those posh surroundings with all the bells and whistles? No. But if you are in need of a deeper sense of RENEWAL, I suggest you ask Frank and Seane to share their gifts of hospitality, warmth and healing with you. We cannot wait to return next week, not just for another energy session, but to see the Innkeepers who are fast becoming our friends.

Room Tip: I would recommend the Gold Room as the best appointed with privacy. The Meadow Lark Cottage is more...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I planned a trip to Virginia for a friend's wedding in what I know is the 'high season' for the area (Fall). It was really difficult to find a place near the wedding that was nice and affordable. Practically impossible, actually.
I finally found the Inn on Thistle Hill and was enchanted by pictures and reviews, a lovely & unique room for a couple that was reasonably priced. I made a reservation.
A few weeks later, the innkeeper noticed that I had booked for a Thursday and Friday. She called me - I didn't answer. She tried again later that week, sent an email. She just wanted to make sure I didn't mean Friday and Saturday - which I did! What a lifesaver! I would have shown up without a hotel room the night of the actually wedding! Worse yet, I know that by then, it would have been impossible to find another.
She graciously changed by reservation and told another trying to reserve that room on Saturday that it was booked.

A couple more weeks pass and as it turns out, my boyfriend can't make the trip due to work. I have to cancel that reservation! But they stayed true to their policy. It was ten days before the event so I received a refund.

I do hope that one day I get to stay here. If they are this wonderful to guests before they even arrive, I can only imagine what exceptional service they provide.

Room Tip: There are many pictures on the website. Call in and ask for more pictures, information if you like.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kathryn m
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Stayed for our honeymoon and couldn't have been more pleased with the Inn On Thistle Hill. Frank and Seane were warm, friendly, and accommodating from our very first email asking for a late check in and special diet requests. We were assured that wasn't a problem and we booked the Gold Room.

The room was beautiful and as pictured on the website. The bed was very comfortableWe were pleasantly surprised to see the older TV in the room as no TV was mentioned on the website, so a nice little bonus there! We also learned that the Great Room had a flat screen we were welcome to use. Our room was thoughtfully set up and stocked with fresh towels, soap, and shampoo. When we arrived late after the wedding we were greeted with a tray with water and ice PLUS fresh fruit and granola bars! What a thoughtful touch!

The grounds are a little in need of maintenance and we were told there are plans for that next spring. The deck adjoining our room was furnished with table and chairs and was private with an ivy canopy. Seane even made sure we had a lighter and lamp out there.

Breakfast was served late at our request and I was again pleasantly surprised to find an umbrella hanging on the door for us to use along our way to the Breakfast Room since it was raining. And the food was just delicious. Everything was fresh and natural ingredients are used in all dishes.We also opted for the candlelit gourmet dinner which was absolutely beautiful and sinfully delicious. We tried foods that we have never considered eating before (cabbage and raw tomatoes for me!) because everything Frank served was so great and we enjoyed everything.

Overall we had a good visit, the food was excellent, and the room was clean and comfortable. Frank and Seane are warm friendly people and they made us feel welcome and at ease throughout our trip. This is the place to go for relaxation and delicious food in a comfortable, homey environment!

Room Tip: The Gold Room overlooks the Great Room in a secluded part of the main house and has a full bath and...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JenV0831
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I really really wish we had had a better experience, especially for what we paid! The whole experience was, quite frankly, akward.

First, let me say that the owners are very nice, friendly, and outgoing.

However, when we were first shown around, all of the projects needing attention around the property (such as the pile of rusty objects to the side of the yard just not yet thrown out) were promptly pointed out to us. After this, it was difficult to not let the sore need for upkeep be quite distracting. (Honestly, we might not have otherwise noticed SO much of it had we just been shown to our room!)

What really bothered us, however, was that instead of fixing a drafty door, a rolled-up towel was to be laid across the bottom. This may be why our room had sugar ants, because the door was not properly sealed. At first this didn't bother me because I only noticed one or 2 ants in the bathroom and near the door. Unfortunately both my husband and I woke in the middle of the night to find the sugar ants crawling on us in bed!!! (And no, we didn't eat anything in bed.) We had already been told the place was sold out, so waking the owners at 1am didn't seem worth the hassle, and we had seen no chain hotels along the route we drove into the area or we would have simply left. Obviously neither of us could get good sleep after this. The room must have been cleaned right before we checked in, and this would account for why we didn't at first see so many ants in the room, because they continued to be quite active throughout the room even after we returned from breakfast. Luckily we only stayed one night.

Breakfast was also awkward. It was very difficult to converse with other guests at the table because the gentleman cooking breakfast in the adjoining kitchen liked to intermittently sing very loudly while cooking. We often had to ask the other couple to repeat what they had just said or to wait for a break in the music in order to continue conversation.

The owners took pride in the fact that the drinking water undergoes a special process, but it had a very strong and unusual taste, especially when used in the coffee, and I'm pretty sure it contributed to my stomach being quite upset after breakfast. (Nothing that we had eaten at breakfast would have caused this, and I don't tend to have issues even with foreign travel.) I just wish they had told us it wasn't from the tap BEFORE we tried drinking it because I would have gladly run to the store to pick up my own.

We won't be back.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank PollitoChiquito
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We stayed for a couples get away weekend and were satisfied with our stay. Our goals were to go hiking, sleep like logs, and eat well. All of this was accomplished. The location is ideal for hiking Old Rag, we slept really well, and the breakfasts were filling and tasty.
However, this is not the place to go for luxury. The rooms were comfortable but outdated and in need of renovation in some areas. The hosts were somewhat ex-hippie-ish but very welcoming, open, and accommodating. All in all a successful trip that got the important things right.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DCTourist1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boston
The Mimslyn Inn
Big Meadows Lodge
Big Meadows Lodge
#1 of 8 in Shenandoah National Park
Woodruff House Bed & Breakfast

Been to Inn on Thistle Hill Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!