“Very good, but also very inconsistent in quality”

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Bristol
VA
“Very good, but also very inconsistent in quality”
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I chaired a state music convention which was held at this HI in May, 2012. We had 45-50 people staying, eating meals and attending meetings and concerts there for 4 days. No one complained about their room, so that was very good! The hotel gave us a really good rate on the convention rooms. We had five special meals (banquets) during the convention and while the food got better with each meal and was superb for the final, formal banquet, the service personnel needed a lot of training (by me) about how to set the tables and serve the meals properly. For the first meal, the chef didn't prepare the correct number of chicken plates and one person had to wait a long time for their meal. The microphones for the business meetings never worked smoothly and I had to get help constantly, which meant lots of running to the front desk and that got old quickly. We brought in a 7 1/2' grand piano for the concerts and most of the time the use of the theater hall went smoothly, but 1) the floor was so dirty I dry-mopped it myself ... rather than run to the front desk one more time, 2) the custodian walked to the front to check the temp during a concert, distracting everyone, and 3) there was a very loud contemporary worship service going on just a few rooms away after I had asked repeatedly if there would be noise issues and was told no. Well, there were! And it was worst during the classical concert of the pianist from NYC. Furthermore, I had to keep the children from the worship service from being tempted to eat the dessert reception set up in the hallway before our concert ended. While many members of the HI staff bent over backwards to correct problems, the main staff person I worked with for nearly a year to prepare for this convention "disappeared" the day we had the most issues and could not be reached. She also offered to decorate the dessert reception and never explained why she didn't do it. So overall, very good, but very inconsistent in quality.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol Conference Center, responded to this review, 22 July 2012
Dear bmac-3,

Thank you for your detailed review of our hotel. I am delighted we had the opportunity of hosting your state music convention last May. Please accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience the staff may have caused for the inconsistency you found in their services. We appreciate you bringing this into our attention as this is our best resource of improving guest services.

Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to have the chance of hosting you again in the future.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Florence, Kentucky
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Friday 6 PM, Gary ckecks us in, working alone. Sunday 9AMGary checks us out, working alone. Oh yes, Saturday 9 AM Gary works, alone. Guy does it all without help. Come on, one person on Friday 6 pm! Breakfast is poor at best, out of most stuff like guess were a surprise. The Bf area double as night bar,,,,,, the bath room had not been cleaned from the nit before,,,,omg, what a mess. Made u wonder about the kitchen. Hotel is old, but remodeled,,,,,,, but seems they missed something I can't put my finger on. I am a gold Ambassidor ICH member, they didn't seem to care. Next time I would chose the Courtyard next door. Gary did a great job and it is not easy doing it all with a line waiting

Room Tip: 2 floor has great view of sat dish and A/C.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dawn H, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol Conference Center, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your stay! Gary is our main front desk clerk on the weekends, and I look forward to sharing your comments with him. I apologize for your dissatisfaction with our restaurant. Our new GM has made that area his first priority, so hopefully you will give us another chance to impress you in the future! Please be assured that we are being very proactive in this area, so be prepared to see major changes in service and quality. As a valued guest, we look forward to having you stay with us again.

Gaithersburg
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I had to be in court in Abingdon, VA, and the hotels in the area were too expensive. I got the room through Hotwire at a REALLY good price and Bristol is a really short drive to Abingdon. I went on the Holiday Inn website to check out the hotel and they haven't updated their pictures yet. The hotel looked nothing like what they showed. The lobby has been updated and painted a nice shade of green (very soothing after a LONG drive!!) and the front desk staff were extremely friendly.
The first night:
We got a room on the 2nd floor at the end of the hallway. I didn't ask for it, but I usually end up with a room as far away from the elevator as possible, especially when I have a lot of luggage. The entire hotel is smoke free, and even though I'm a smoker, I like that it doesn't smell like smoke. We had a window that actually opened out to the roof. The view- not so good. We looked at a brick wall instead of the mountains like I had wanted. The bathroom was recently updated but the bathtub looked like it was stained black on the bottom. Kind of yucky but when I realized it wasn't going to come off I felt a little better. The towels were the softest I have ever had in a hotel. We got a room with 2 queen beds which is nice because I don't like to lay my bags on the floor. There was one MAJOR problem with the room (according to my boyfriend). The TV was VERY small (maybe 20") and not a flat screen. Personally, it didn't matter to me. Check out was quick and easy.

The second night:
After my court case went well, we decided to stay again. I was standing in line waiting to check in and the guy at the front desk looked at me and smiled like he definitely remembered that I was there the night before. He kind of gave me a look like, "Why did you check out in the first place!" :) When he checked us in again he said Welcome Back, even before I told him my name. That really goes a long way to make people feel welcome. This time we got a room on the 6th floor and had an AWESOME view of the mountains and the highway, but NO HIGHWAY NOISE!!! The bathtub was much better than the previous night (the toilet made a HORRIBLE noise when flushed), and we got a king bed with a pullout sofa. The TV was also a little better, but still not flat screen. I will definitely stay here again anytime I am in the area!

Room Tip: It looks like the only rooms that have windows that open are on the 2nd floor. Don't expect much...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dawn H, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol Conference Center, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Thank you so much for your comments! We hope you will stay with us again in the future. We are currently in the process of converting our tv's to 32" flat screen models. All sleeping rooms will have these in the coming months. Currently our 9th and 10th have flat screens in all rooms, and you can request to be moved to one of these floors to ensure the tv is right for you. We look forward to having you as our guest again, soon!

Pierre Part, Louisiana
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Hotel was very clean. Couldn't use to hot tub because it was beening treated. Didn't use the swimming pool but it looked very clean. Everyone was very nice. Would use again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dawn H, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol Conference Center, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate all guest comments! I apologize for the hot tub not being available for use over the weekend. It is now fully operational, and hopefully you will be able to enjoy it during your next stay with us. If you need assistance with any future bookings, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel, and I will be happy to take care of you.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I had not stayed at the this hotel for a while. The remodel and updates were very nice. The gentleman at the front desk was very professional and friendly. He upgraded me to a suite, It was a beautiful room. If you stay at this hotel you need to check out the suites. The room was very clean, The service was excellent. I would recommend this hotel, it has a greeat location for dining and movie theater is just across the street.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 May 2012

On a trip from New England to Tennessee I stopped at this Holiday Inn after a long day of driving. This was my second of 3 Holiday Inns for this trip. I didn't have a reservation and was pleased there was a room available. Took a little long to check in but, the gentleman at the front desk was very helpful. The room was ok, maybe it was one that had not been recently renovated. The room felt dark and cramped. I was surprised there was not a microwave or a refrigerator in the room, only a coffee maker. For someone who only drinks tea, its a pain to have to go to the lobby for hot water instead of having to open the coffee packet to get the filter. The free breakfast is a waste of time, 3 cereals, a few muffins and oatmeal. One of the great things I love about staying at HI is the breakfast buffet, but you are better off going somewhere else if you are hungry. The hotel is right on the highway so you do get some noise but not too bad (though I was on the 8th floor). Other reviewers are right about the lukewarm water in the shower. If I had a chance to research this hotel before I stopped I might have gone somewhere else but it was ok as a last minute choice.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Dawn H, Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol Conference Center, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We’re sorry that you received service that was less-than-satisfactory. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. At this time, we do provide refrigerators and microwaves in our 10th floor suites and also have a microwave available 24 hours for guest use in the lobby. Additionally, we have just recently begun serving a light complimentary continental breakfast for the convenience of our guests on the go. As a full service Holiday Inn, we also have a full hot breakfast menu available for guests to order from if they choose to. Your comments will be passed along to our Executive Chef. The full complimentary hot breakfast buffet you are referring to is found at Holiday Inn Express which are limited service properties separate from Holiday Inn. This can be confusing to guests at times. Again, we appreciate your candid feedback and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Florida
Reviewed 25 April 2012

The only positive things I can say about our stay is that our room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Unfortunately, I couldn't sleep much due to loud parties.

The two nights that we stayed, we were kept awake until around 3:30am by college frat parties. My DH was offered drugs, alcohol, and females whenever he entered the hallway. (He declined each time.) Since everyone was drunk, they kept banging on our door as they didn't know where they were. That woke up our children over and over again. We called the front desk numerous times. Each time they said they would take care of it. Since the noise level never changed, I'm not sure what "take care of it" meant. Of course the bathrooms in the lobby were covered in vomit each morning. We had a 10 hour drive ahead of us after our stay. It was extremely difficult to drive because we'd been kept awake for so long and our children were cranky due to getting woken up repeatedly.

The breakfast was quite disappointing as well. The breakfast buffet that is included is minimal (3 cereal choices, oatmeal with tepid water, danishes, stale muffins, and melons.) Breakfast bowls were scarce. They were always "washing" the bowls yet none ever seemed to appear (even after 45 minutes of waiting). We ate oatmeal from the coffee cup. If you were hoping for more food, go to IHOP. You have to pay for extra breakfast items and the service is SLOW. It took about 45 minutes to get 2 eggs the first day. The second day after my mother ordered pancakes, she waited an hour. They never arrived. When she finally asked about them, she was informed that the kitchen was closed. I'm still uncertain about all of this as there were never more than 15 people in the dining room at any given time.

If you were hoping for a hot shower, you'll have to take a shower at an odd time. Between 8-10am the water temperature will barely be lukewarm. (We were on the 10th floor so that may have been the problem.)

Be prepared to wait a LONG time for elevators and cram on them when they arrive. The entire time we were there, only 1 of the 3 elevators worked. I'm not sure when/if they ever repaired them.

Did I ask to speak to a manager? Yes! I was told there wasn't one on duty at the time we checked out. Have I tried to call to talk to the manager? Yes! Have I left messages? Yes! Have I ever gotten called back? No!

Room Tip: The 10th floor (top floor) has restricted access, meaning you have to use your room key to get on th...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ShaFlorida
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Bristol Conference Center, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Dear ShaFlorida,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Bristol hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bristol
Courtyard Bristol
Quality Inn and Suites Bristol
Hampton Inn Bristol
Hampton Inn Bristol
#2 of 6 in Bristol

Been to Holiday Inn Bristol Conference Center? Share your experiences!