“Tired and hungry ... This was ok.”

Cheddar's Scratch Kitchen
Ranked #5 of 94 Restaurants in Bristol
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

My first time at Cheddars, I ordered the lemon pepper chicken, with green bean and the broccoli casserole ... It came fairly quick (it was fairly empty at 3 pm)

The chicken and beans were good, the broccoli casserole was hardly luke warm!

Reviewed 28 January 2014

After reading the other reviews I must say I am surprised. The menu was unique,I had the Cajun pasta which was very good. Our server was wonderful. Her name was Morgan,and she had a constant smile on her face. She was very attentive and knew the menu and wine list.She is an asset to this restaurant.I have a service dog,and need an out of the way table. The staff could not have been more understanding. We were seated right away and never neglected. I was in the hospitality business for 35 years, my standards are high. I give this experience 5 stars.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We have been very disappointed with the service at this Cheddar's location. We were so excited that Bristol was getting a Cheddar's close to our home. The service, food, and pricing has always been great at the Johnson City and Kingsport locations. The quality of the food has not been as good and the service has been awful at the Bristol location.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

This was our first visit to a Cheddar's, which are not located in our home New England area. We found the service to be very disappointing; perhaps we just had a bad server, but it affected our enjoyment of our meal immensely. While the food was very btasty and reasonably priced, my fish tacos were served with just a small layer of corn slaw beneath the fried fish (nicely breaded, I might add) in the small flour tortillas (two). Very tasty, but hardly a satisfying portion (it did come with one side, and I enjoyed the buttered corn I ordered. But we often waited 10-15 minutes between courses, we finally had to ask another server for a refill of my soft drink, and the service was perfunctory, even surly. It'll be a long time before we come to a Cheddar's again.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I had never been to a Cheddar's before tonight and it will be awhile before I get the urge to go again. Cheddar's presents itself as a casual dining restaurant along the lines of Chili's or Ruby Tuesday's. At these restaurants one can expect to get a variety of casual American fare, including an array of thick, juicy burgers. In fact, this expectation is so universal that Hardee's (Carl's, Jr.) based an entire marketing program on it.

I should have read the writing on the wall when I ordered my cheeseburger and the waiter said, "You came all the way out to Cheddar's for a cheeseburger??!!!?" (This is an exact quote.) "Well, it better be a good cheeseburger," I answered. It was a pretty obvious clue that I should have ordered something else, but some people look down on burgers, whereas I, every now and then, really crave a hamburger in which you can actually sink your teeth into the meat rather than see through it like a Wendy's burger.

So, this was my great expectation in visiting Cheddar's for the first time. And by the way - doesn't the name "Cheddar's" SOUND like a great place to get a cheese burger? I thought they might even offer a great cheddar slice for my burger.

My second clue should have been when the menu said, "We cook all of our burgers medium well." The waiter reiterated this fact with the caveat that I also had the wonderful option of having it cooked well-done. I told him that I preferred medium-rare. He sympathized and mumbled something about e-coli. Mmmm - appetizing.

So when my burger came, I looked inside of it to see what condiments were on it. I was speechless. Inside a really nice bun was - "HORROR" - a PREFORMED FROZEN PATTY! You know the kind. You get them at Wal-mart in a stack of about fifty, frozen in a block of ice, and you only buy them when you have 50 kids to feed at the little league cook-out. They have this sort of honeycomb look to them - honeycomb cardboard, that is.

The waiter sympathized with me, but did not offer me another choice of entree at that time. I asked him to bring me some mayonnaise in a last ditch effort to add some moisture to this disaster. I tried a few bites, but let's just say that this burger was not just sub-par. It was a terrible burger. The waiter said that burgers weren't Cheddar's specialty and that next time I should order a salad. Hmmm....I used to love to go to a place called Souper Salad. It was awesome and I knew just what I was getting. I didn't think Cheddar's was the happy salad place.

My final word on this subject is that I just cannot believe that ANY self-respecting sit-down restaurant would serve that garbage. Specialty or not, it doesn't take that long to hand-form a hamburger patty. I do four to six in less than the time it takes my George Foreman to heat up. And for a whole lot less than the $5 I (didn't) spend on that Cheddar's burger tonight, I get a whole lot better burger. I still haven't mastered the Ruby Tuesday's or Chili's burger at home, but next time I get the craving, I'll have a date with George Foreman before I'll turn into the Cheddar's parking lot again.