“Boat in, smile home”

Cuisines: American
Alexandria, Virginia
“Boat in, smile home”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is the best water-accessible restaurant we've found on the Lower Chesapeake. Scoot your boat up the peaceful and wide Great Wicomico River, park at the ample dock and then belly up. The prime rib is excellent. Sea scallops grilled were great. Even the kids' fish-and-chips was a pleasant surprise. Others nearby had the banana pudding and it looked awesome. This place got great reviews from ChesapeakeBoating.net for its family-friendly atmosphere and we found that too; our kids loved it. We will be back. And back. And back.

• Visited June 2014

Burgess, Virginia
“Pleasant setting, very good food”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We've eaten here for years and it has definitely improved in the past few. Good seafood and a pleasant place to come to by water. We tend to avoid Saturday nights as it is packed.

Visited October 2013
Reedville, Virginia
“dINING ON THE RIVER”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Food was OK but nothing spectacular. Decorating left a lot to be desired. View of the water is nice to have.

Visited July 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
“Quaint Atmospher with Excellent Prime Rib”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

My husband and I had to travel this direction for a funeral and decided to make it a dinner date too. I searched on Tripadvisor and found Horn Harbor House and decided to give it a try. The drive from Northern Va. is a pretty drive. We found the restaurant with no problems. It was a Sunday afternoon when we arrived and the place was empty. That's cuz they weren't open yet!! So, we walked around the small marina and enjoyed the quiet of the water. It's a peaceful spot. At 5pm, the doors opened and everyone welcomed us so warmly! At 5:02, cars were pulling in at a pretty fast rate!

Our server called us Hon or Sweetie even though she was 25+ years younger than us. Everyone was greeted by name upon arrival and we heard conversations between diners and servers asking about everything from grandchildren to college. Even though we were obviously "out-of-towners", we never felt uncomfortable or unwanted.

I ordered the prime rib as other reviewers had mentioned how good it was. My husband had the crab cake. He said it was very good, with little filling. The prime rib was the best I've ever had...and I've had a lot of prime rib (restaurant and made at home)! I'm not sure what it was, but I think the way they roasted the meat in the juices made it very tender. The flavor was delicious. Not salty but really delicious. I couldn't stop eating it!

We couldn't stay long as we had to get going but everyone gave us a wave and said that they hoped we would come back in the Spring or Summer. We plan to take our kids for this "cultural experience" and we can't wait.

TIP: This restaurant is seasonal and closes sometime in November. Be sure to check their website for dates and times that they are open.

I think you could probably boat to this restaurant if you wanted to!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank OhJackieO
King George, Virginia
“A Wonderful Place to Eat”
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

A great place to eat. The servers at Horn Harbor Restaurant are very pleasant and attentive. The crab cake meal was delicious. The desserts were wonderful.