“Remote”

Ranked #1 of 1 Cana B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Remote”
Reviewed 25 July 2012

If you are sure you will be driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway, this B&B is well located. Very narrow hilly roads to get to it. Nice people, adequate property, but priced too high for the experience. No TV except a couple of local channels. Over 20 minutes (narrow, hilly roads) to nearest restaurant. Do not trust Mapquest, GPS, etc to give you correct route. Owners tell of people being routed to unpaved mountain roads.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Parrish H
blueridgemanor, Owner at Blue Ridge Manor Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback. We hope that each and every customer enjoys their stay at our facility. As stated on our website, we are a secluded, country inn, located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountain Range. We pride ourself on our amenities of solitude, scenic beauty, walking trails and stocked fish ponds. We offer the experience to take our guest away from the hustle and bustle of every day noise and traffice from city living.. We are located just 12 miles from Interstate I-77 and 4 miles from the scenic Blue Ridge Parkway. We are also located only 12 miles south from our nearst city, Mount Airy, NC which has many great places to eat and visit. I guess for people that are used to being able to drive somewhere in 5 minutes, 20 minutes might seem like a long time to get somewhere, but for us we consider 12 miles conviently located. As with this customer we did make an extra effort to let them know that GPS's will not always bring you in the most direct route, but that was the reason for futher instructions. As for TV, we have approximtaly 37 digital stations for our clients to choose from. We are a secluded mountain retreat with beautifiul, mountains, rolling hills covered with apple, peaches and cherry trees, mountains streams and a majestic front door view of the mountains. I wouldn't change our location for anything even if I could.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed 15 July 2011

I use this bed and breakfast twice for an executive retreat. Innkeepers, David and Darlene were willing to make arrangements for my large group. Perfect place to clear your mind and get focused. Tremendous hospitality, wide varity of food options and impeccable cleanness. Highly recommend for business or casual atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2011
MT AIRY NC
Reviewed 15 July 2011

The best b&b ever!!!!!! The whole place was charming. Set in the hills dip of the great Blue Ridge Mountains. Squarlls and birds were welcomiing to awake too. Fresh Pancakes with assorment of jellys was the mornings delight. Ths Innkeepers Darlene and Dave made the inviorment warm with there welcoming personalties. A hike into the natures world refreashed me as this was a retreat for myself!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank TiffanyPerez
Blue Ridge Mountains
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Beautiful, a lot to see..... Blue Ridge Manor will take away the stress of everyday life. Relax and enjoy your stay surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mountains. The sunset over the mountains is absolutely beautiful. My bed feels like you are sleeping on a cloud. Wake to a aromatic breakfast that is offered in the main dinning room or on the deck over looking the mountains. We visit the Manor several times a year and consider it our home away from home. The innkeepers make you feel like family.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank deborahjeanramirez
Great Barrington MA
Reviewed 13 April 2011

We stayed here while driving up the Blue Ridge Parkway, and staying in a mostly-delightful series of bed and breakfasts. This was decidedly the most expensive of them all, and as a result, my expectations were that it would be rather special.

Here's what I found: our hostess wasn't expecting us at all. She had a big end-of-the-month deadline for her Mary Kay business, and had gotten distracted. When we drove up through the quite lovely and dramatic hills shortly after 3 p.m., we had trouble recognizing the place, because it didn't look like a B&B. There was no sign on the house, but what was more confusing was that the front porch was in a state of disarray--for example, there were cleaning products sitting out on it. A large, calm dog watched us drive up, then circle away seeking a more likely spot; when we returned, our hostess, Darlene Juliana, was at the door with a phone to her ear. She asked what we needed in a perfectly polite manner, and was clearly surprised to hear that we had a reservation with her. (When she looked, she did indeed have us booked with her for that night.)

She invited us in, explained about the sales deadlines she faced, and had us wait on her couch while she ran upstairs to prepare the room. We were in her own living area, which had an open floor plan. Like the porch, it was in a state of disarray, and there was a mat of dog hair on the carpet. There were no real views, and nothing to read, aside from piles of personal papers seemingly related to the Mary Kay business. We were clearly in someone's house, rather than in a professionally-run B&B, as the name Blue Ridge Manor had suggested. I was charmed by her accent, and understanding life's complexity I was willing to roll with whatever our travels brought us (I had also forgotten how much we were paying for this lodging); my husband was becoming concerned, and it turned out that he was right to be so, I think.

After seeing our room, which looked comfortable and clean, but had no accessible views or special comforts, we decided to go out for a drive, to give our hostess time to retrench. Even though we were in some lovely mountains, there was not place to sit and enjoy them.. so, after a day on the road, we went out again into the cold foggy late afternoon.

If you are an Andy Griffith fan, you may know that one nearby town of Mount Airy was the set of Mayberry... I'm actually not a big TV watcher, and this was not a draw for me. And, there really are not other cultural highlights (or special restaurants) locally, unlike in Floyd or Boone or some other Blue Ridge towns. We eventually found a great little mountain to hike around in the gathering dusk, and then drove 45 minutes back to the B&B.

We found ongoing busyness and noise. Darlene was making sales calls, one after another, loudly enough for me to hear each word from our upstairs room... until 10 p.m. A friend of hers, who also drove a Mary Kay car, was there to help her out. Her husband was washing up and he greeted us from the sink in a politely distant manner.I had the distinct sense that he did not exactly agree with this business of having guests stay in his house. He then cooked bacon for what seemed like quite some time...so that strong smells as well as noise filled our room.

Darlene invited us to sit on the couch, in the one open room in which all of this activity was taking place, and watch TV, which surely was the only entertainment available. She said that if we wanted anything we should tell her, but did not offer tea or snacks. (Nor were there water glasses in the bathroom upstairs, which I only realized after I was in my nightgown.) We went upstairs to our room. On the positive side, this room was clean and neat, and the bed was comfortable. On the other hand, it too did not seem to be especially set up to receive paying customers. It is her son's old bedroom; he is now married and in the process of becoming a doctor, and this has the appearance of being the room he stays in when he comes home. His certificates and diplomas are on the walls, his old text books are on the shelves and his, or someone's, personal, half-used toiletries are in the unlocked closet. It appeared, in short, to be his room at Mom's house, rather than a room accessorized for the comfort and pleasure of guests.

So there we were, in this son's room, with the constant sound of business being transacted and the thick smell of bacon, and nowhere else to sit quietly and comfortably in the house. I know, at this point we should have checked out... but, It was late, and we were tired, and far off the beaten path. So we tried to sleep. The noise kept us up later than we wished, but the truth is that our own frustration kept us from resting, as well as my sense that I'd been somewhat hoodwinked by this super-expensive, nice-sounding place (all those great reviews!) into something that actually was just a plain poor deal for the money... or really, for almost any money, given how late the noise continued.

We left at 3:30 am, and I called Darlene from the road to complain and to request a partial refund. She did end up refunding about half the cost, to her credit--although this was clearly because I demanded it--she did not by any means offer this as a way to try to make things right. Also, in her defense, this was an unusually busy night for her business. However, as long as caring, experienced hosts along the Blue Ridge are offering full apartment suites complete with wood stoves, hot tubs, wine, hand-made furnishings, fabulous views from comfortable seats, and similar accoutrements for substantially less cost... this experience approaches misleading advertising. We feel somewhat responsible for our missed sleep and aggravation; we realize we were naive about business, and we have learned our lesson, and promised ourselves that will leave the next place that so exaggerates its claims. But goodness, there are so many good places that don't need or deserve to have travelers be on their guard like this!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank cynthia c
, Manager at Blue Ridge Manor Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 15 April 2011
I would like to than you for your review and I'm sorry that you were unhappy with your stay. We pride ourselves on being a country bed and breakfast with outstanding mountain views. Unfortunately your drive thru the Blue Ridge was on a foggy, rainy day which hampered those beautiful mountain views. April is the month for shower!

The parks along the Blue Ridge are closed each year until Memorial Day so I recommended the nearest park about 20 minutes away in Mount Airy, along with a great place for dining which has rave reviews from guest throughout the region. I was told on the guest return that they enjoyed their meal.

Our bed and breakfast was once our country home that we renovated to a 3 bedroom bed and breakfast. Our rooms were named to honor the family members that once graced our house. Willow tree, has two views, one of the mountain and the other of our willow tree for which it was named along with our bird sanctuary. We have a sunroom library for our customers reading pleasure along with TV in all the bedrooms and sitting area. For sunny days we have over 2 miles of wooded trails and two stocked ponds for private fishing. Our hilltop B & B is truly a secluded location for those guest that like the mountains, scenic drives, quaint towns and friendly faces.

We were never told of any complaints until our guest called the next morning after they missed breakfast to tell us they had left. Even then there was no explination as to why they got up at 3:00 a.m. after telling us to prepare breakfast at 8:00 a.m.

It is unfortunate that our inn was not a match for what this customer was looking for offered to compensate the customer and promptly did so. We have never had anyone complain before and I would like to assure you that we make every effort to make our guest feel welcome and a part of our family during their stay.
Dobson, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 December 2010

The first delight in your traveling experience with Blueridge Manor Bed & Breakfast is the beautiful scenery along winding mountain roads. When you reach the top of the mountain, you will see one of the most gorgeous views of the Blueridge Mountains that I have ever seen in my life! And right in the middle of it all is the Blue Ridge Manor Bed& Breakfast, a quaint country home offering three cozy bedrooms and two of the nicest people I have ever met! Dave and Darlene will make you feel right at home and they are a pleasure to be around. We had fresh fruit with whipped cream followed by a sausage and egg quiche for breakfast. My stay was just perfect and I would definitley go back again!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
richmond
Reviewed 14 September 2010

Recently went to mount airy, nc for a wedding and had the pleasure of staying at the bed and breakfast. I simply can't describe in words how beautiful, relaxing, and uplifting the scenery is, you just have to experience the blue ridge mountains for yourself. Darlene and Dave are great people and always go above and beyond making their guest feel welcome. I will be back many times!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cana
Hampton Inn Mount Airy
#1 of 8 in Hillsville
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#6 of 8 in Mount Airy

Been to Blue Ridge Manor Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!