“Washing your troubles out to the bay!”

The Baywood Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 9 Cape Charles B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 September 2009

The bed and breakfast is beautiful and peaceful. Sharon and Mike are very friendly and make you feel at home. The place is set back in the woods and right on the bay. When the sun is setting you could not ask for a better view. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 June 2009

Mid-April 2009, I came to Cape Charles with a photographers group and stayed at The Baywood. I had the Cape Charles room! The room was large, clean, and well-appointed with a sitting area, a very large private bath, and a balcony overlooking the Chesapeake Bay. The backyard leads down to a private beach on the bay. We got up every morning way before sunrise and there were muffins and coffee waiting for us. The family is very warm and welcoming and I felt like I was at home. Need I say more? Yes; The Baywood is a special place owned and managed by a special family. See you again in October!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 June 2009

Our stay at the Baywood was one of the most enjoyable
and beautiful experiences I think we have ever had and
we have done some traveling in our 28 years together.
We are retired from the Army and moved around quite
abit stayed at quite a few motels, campgrounds, etc. and
I really think this was one of the most beautiful and
relaxing places yet!
Gorgous place, view, and great hospitality!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2009

My co-worker and I had a convention in VA Beach for (Liberty Tax)...we decided to stay at The Baywood and commute to the convention. We just wanted quiet time at a beach w/out people and tourist activities. The Baywood is a semi/private beach-wonderful place to sunbath, swim, walk/look for shells and located exactly 1 mile off the Cheseapke Bridge - so easy travel to and from our convention which was held at the Convention Center of VA Beach.

Our room was very comfortable and each breakfast was very tasy.

Our room was very comfortable and each breakfast was very tasty.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank frandorliberty
Reviewed 30 May 2009

My husband and I booked 3 nights for a birding festival on the eastern shore fall 2009. We stay often at B and B's and this was the worst experience we have ever had. We arrived in the afternoon after the check-in time and was greeted by the maid who said our room was not ready. We waited downstairs. After about 45 min. we asked if we could come upstairs to the room. She replied that it was not quite ready, but that we could bring our suitcases up. FYI, it has a very steep, long staircase, definitely not good for folks who cannot climb a long flight of stairs. Our room was overlooking the bay. However, no soap in the room, rather a liquid soap container 1/2 full, single-ply tissue in bathroom. Next morning, I went downstairs for coffee and was handed a styrofoam cup by the daughter of owner who said the breakfast quiche had just come out of the micro and we could have it any time we wanted. Kitchen table not set...I got ceramic coffee cups out of the cupboard and set the table. We returned from activities in PM, our bed was not made and bathroom wastebasket not emptied. Now I can do all of that! However, when one stays at a B and B you expect 1. a lovely breakfast and a nice table setting and 2. your room tidied up and bed made. When I saw the daughter, I told we were not pleased...nor were the second guests who arrived much with the same experience as we did..owner out-of-town, daughter 19ish clearly not prepared to do the B and B thing. Her mother, Sharon, phoned me on my cell as we were going to an evening keynote speech. When I suggested that the breakfast, for starters, was not satisfactory,and that we had said we liked a hearty breakfast (she had emailed us and asked), she responded by saying everyone else wanted a small breakfast and she could show us their emails!! Re making the bed, she replied that they never enter the room once someone has checked in. That afternoon the "wine and cheese" was served on an empty kitchen table...cookie sheet holding the warmed brie..Need I say more. My husband and I are not unreasonable people. We travel a lot and always stay at a B and B. THIS WAS THE WORST!!
By the way, the first night, there was a knock on our balcony window. The daughter had entered the guest room next to us and locked herself out on the balcony. I went out into the hall in my pjs and opened the guest bedroom and let her out. Not a big deal, but it added to the whole dismal experience. Roland and Jeanne Bowles, 1676 New Haven Place, Glen Allen, Va. 23059

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 May 2009

We stayed at the Baywood for the first night in our honeymoon roadtrip. The house is down a long windy dirt driveway. It is a very modern B&B but considering this was our first, that is fine with me. We arrived around 7pm. We settled in with the owner, who was very gracious and offered us some options for dinner back in Cape Charles. The B&B is not in Cape Charles, it is about 10 mins past driving south.
When we returned from dinner around 10pm, the lights were all out (luckily we were given the pass code for the front door. Oddly enough, the owner opened it to tell us the power had gone out. Don't flush the toilets :)
We were tired from the long drive and dinner so we were calling it a night anyway.
The bedrooms were spectacularly clean and the bathrooms (each room has an individual bathroom), were clean and well kept.
Free wi-fi which is a great benefit.
We breakfasted with a very nice couple in from England, the fruit salad was great, but the eggs were pretty over cooked. All-in-all, a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2009

What a fantastic, hidden gem. It is tucked away on a wooded lot for the ultimate in privacy. Sharon and her family were extremely courteous and made me feel right at home. The views overlooking the Chesapeake are postcard worthy. It was fun watching the Osprey and Pelicans feeding right off of the beach. I look forward to returning in October.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo