“A great memory - I would go back in a heartbeat!”

The Baywood Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 9 Cape Charles B&B and Inns
Peoria, Illinois
“A great memory - I would go back in a heartbeat!”
Reviewed 12 March 2010

My wife and I enjoyed a great couple of days at the Baywood Bed and Breakfast and we couldn't have been more happy with our stay. We still talk about the experience and look forward to making it back down the road! It was exactly what we were needing after a couple of days spent in Gettysburg, Pa and Rehoboth Beach - relaxed, isolated, peaceful - We felt at home from the time we arrived! The room was very comfortable. Our hosts gave us space but we're also very friendly and willing to share their lives with us. The highlight of the stay was kicking back on the porch looking out at the chespeake sunset and sharing a couple bottles of wine, getting to know the other couple who were enjoying their stay as well...golfers from Charlottesville with great stories!

When I'm at work in the dead of an Illinois winter the Baywood has a place on my list of places I would rather be!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Dayton, OH
Reviewed 16 November 2009

My boyfriend and I decided to take a little get away late in the summer and searched high and low for a place that was both within our price range and suitable accommodations. We had no idea that we could find such a beautiful place at such a fair price. We arrived at sunset and, as we had been told by our hostess prior to our arrival, it was one of the most beautiful we had ever seen. From the moment we stepped foot into The Baywood, we felt welcomed. The house was wonderfully maintained, clean, beautiful, and inviting. Our room was more than amply spacious as were the downstairs areas, yard, and our rather large private bathroom. We stayed in the Cape Charles room and adored having a balcony to drink our morning coffee on. Our hostess was very helpful in finding us (poor college kids =P) inexpensive yet highly enjoyable things to do and places to eat and providing us with some of the tastiest homemade breakfasts either of us have had in a long while. We enjoyed ourselves so very much that we thoroughly intend to return next year and are discussing the possibility of renting the location for our possible wedding.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Portsmouth
Reviewed 24 September 2009

The bed and breakfast is beautiful and peaceful. Sharon and Mike are very friendly and make you feel at home. The place is set back in the woods and right on the bay. When the sun is setting you could not ask for a better view. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 25 June 2009

Mid-April 2009, I came to Cape Charles with a photographers group and stayed at The Baywood. I had the Cape Charles room! The room was large, clean, and well-appointed with a sitting area, a very large private bath, and a balcony overlooking the Chesapeake Bay. The backyard leads down to a private beach on the bay. We got up every morning way before sunrise and there were muffins and coffee waiting for us. The family is very warm and welcoming and I felt like I was at home. Need I say more? Yes; The Baywood is a special place owned and managed by a special family. See you again in October!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
crystal
Reviewed 24 June 2009

Our stay at the Baywood was one of the most enjoyable
and beautiful experiences I think we have ever had and
we have done some traveling in our 28 years together.
We are retired from the Army and moved around quite
abit stayed at quite a few motels, campgrounds, etc. and
I really think this was one of the most beautiful and
relaxing places yet!
Gorgous place, view, and great hospitality!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 10 June 2009

My co-worker and I had a convention in VA Beach for (Liberty Tax)...we decided to stay at The Baywood and commute to the convention. We just wanted quiet time at a beach w/out people and tourist activities. The Baywood is a semi/private beach-wonderful place to sunbath, swim, walk/look for shells and located exactly 1 mile off the Cheseapke Bridge - so easy travel to and from our convention which was held at the Convention Center of VA Beach.

Our room was very comfortable and each breakfast was very tasy.

Our room was very comfortable and each breakfast was very tasty.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank frandorliberty
Glen Allen, Va. (Richmond)
Reviewed 30 May 2009

My husband and I booked 3 nights for a birding festival on the eastern shore fall 2009. We stay often at B and B's and this was the worst experience we have ever had. We arrived in the afternoon after the check-in time and was greeted by the maid who said our room was not ready. We waited downstairs. After about 45 min. we asked if we could come upstairs to the room. She replied that it was not quite ready, but that we could bring our suitcases up. FYI, it has a very steep, long staircase, definitely not good for folks who cannot climb a long flight of stairs. Our room was overlooking the bay. However, no soap in the room, rather a liquid soap container 1/2 full, single-ply tissue in bathroom. Next morning, I went downstairs for coffee and was handed a styrofoam cup by the daughter of owner who said the breakfast quiche had just come out of the micro and we could have it any time we wanted. Kitchen table not set...I got ceramic coffee cups out of the cupboard and set the table. We returned from activities in PM, our bed was not made and bathroom wastebasket not emptied. Now I can do all of that! However, when one stays at a B and B you expect 1. a lovely breakfast and a nice table setting and 2. your room tidied up and bed made. When I saw the daughter, I told we were not pleased...nor were the second guests who arrived much with the same experience as we did..owner out-of-town, daughter 19ish clearly not prepared to do the B and B thing. Her mother, Sharon, phoned me on my cell as we were going to an evening keynote speech. When I suggested that the breakfast, for starters, was not satisfactory,and that we had said we liked a hearty breakfast (she had emailed us and asked), she responded by saying everyone else wanted a small breakfast and she could show us their emails!! Re making the bed, she replied that they never enter the room once someone has checked in. That afternoon the "wine and cheese" was served on an empty kitchen table...cookie sheet holding the warmed brie..Need I say more. My husband and I are not unreasonable people. We travel a lot and always stay at a B and B. THIS WAS THE WORST!!
By the way, the first night, there was a knock on our balcony window. The daughter had entered the guest room next to us and locked herself out on the balcony. I went out into the hall in my pjs and opened the guest bedroom and let her out. Not a big deal, but it added to the whole dismal experience. Roland and Jeanne Bowles, 1676 New Haven Place, Glen Allen, Va. 23059

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
#2 of 7 in Cape Charles
Best Western Plus Holiday Sands Inn & Suites
Hilton Garden Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Wyndham Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Wyndham Virginia Beach Oceanfron...
#51 of 109 in Virginia Beach
3.0 of 5 bubbles 2,741 reviews
Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina

Been to The Baywood Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!