“Perfect!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Richmond, Virginia
“Perfect!”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

First of all let me start by saying this is one of the few B&Bs in Cape Charles that does not have house cats which is very important for me since I am extremely allergic to these furry fuzzy four legged friends! I admit I was never a big fan of B&B….., until now! This was our first time visiting Cape Charles, and Bay Haven Inn was the perfect place for a relaxing weekend getaway. This is a beautiful home, in a great location (only 3 or 4 blocks from the beach), and wonderful hosts. Tammy and Jim were very gracious, and made my wife and I feel right at home. They have set the bar very high.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Tappahannock
Reviewed 10 October 2013

My husband wanted to show me the Eastern Shore, so we spontaneoulsy took off without a plan, destination, or reservations. We arrived in Cape Charles and had brunch at Shanty's-what a magnificent brunch of soft shell crab benedict. We entered into the town of Cape Charles where we encountered Margaret-she schedules kayak and wine tours. We named her the "official" spokesperson for Cape Charles because she was so knowledgable of the area, so helpful, and truly had a love for Cape Charles. We attempted to make reservations at the local hotel, however it was closed for repairs. My husband proceeded to call an area B&B-which was Bay Haven. Jim was able to accomodate us immediately and we arrived at Bay Haven in just a few minutes. What an absolutely magnificent home and beautiful garden! It backs up to the town park and is just a couple blocks from the public beach. We took a sunset walk through the park and to the beach. Went to dinner at Aqua-the atmosphere was very serene. After a wonderful nights rest, we took a sunrise walk, drank coffee on the frontporch swing and then had breakfast. Breakfast gave us an opportunity to viist with Tammy and the other guests. We had such a wonderful time sharing our journies of where we have been, where we are, and where we are heading. I feel fortunate to have shared this time, so often in this busy life it seems these moments are lost. I felt so at home and so welcomed. I am already making plans to return to Bay Haven. See you soon!

Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Me and my family decided to have our first bed and breakfast experience by staying at the Bay Haven Inn in Cape Charles, VA. They set the standards of how a bed and breakfast should be. Tammy and Jim dedicate so much time and effort to make your experience an enjoyable one. The house and lawns are beautiful. They provide useful information about places to go see, restaurants, and shopping venues in Cape Charles community. There is a nice park behind their bed and breakfast and you can walk to beach, restuarants, and stores. I spent my time on the front porch swing enjoying the cool breezes reading a good book. Tammy and Jim's breakfasts are very good. If you have a particular nutrition need, Tammy and Jim will make sure you have it. If you want to go to a wonderful bed and breakfast experience. This is the place to go.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Vineland, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 October 2013

My friend and I recently stayed at Bay Haven Inn and had a wonderful experience. My friend had never stayed at a B & B and was a little nervous about the formality. All of that quickly dissipated once he met Tammy. She quickly made him feel right at home. I was touring their beautifully decorated home with Jim at the time and was so impressed with Tammy's designing talent. They are just as particular with their food, as they grow and can their own. The meals were delicious and reminded me of my childhood (growing up in an Italian family and eating all natural homemade foods). Our room was very comfortable, relaxing, and extremely clean and the porch is a lovely spot to sip wine and read a book. Tammy and Jim are perfect hosts. Our stay was superb and they made every effort to make us comfortable. I would have loved to stay longer and will definitely return. We would recommend this beautiful place to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This was my first stay at a B&B and Tammy and Jim do a wonderful job of making you feel at home. Spent most of my time on the screened in porch with some good books, but Tammy was there to help me with recommendations for restaurants or anything I needed. Coffee was ready when I got up and the food was amazing. The Ooey Gooey French Toast was delicious! I was able to relax and get some much needed down time before my upcoming wedding, which was great (so was Breeze's Day Spa, by the way). The room was impeccably clean and so comfortable -- you get the charm of the old victorian home that it is without feeling like you're sacrificing modern day amenities. I will be back with my (soon to be) husband, that's for sure!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Alyce Wilson room, which was very comfortable and cozy. Word to the wise for light...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Christiansburg, Virginia
Reviewed 8 September 2013

This was my first time staying at a B&B. I think it's the only way to travel when you are on business because it feels like a home away from home. My room included free wi-fi, so that I could complete a report that was due the next day. I was able to have my morning coffee on the front porch while listening and observing the birds and butterflies. Also the food on the coast was five star. I plan to return again soon.

Room Tip: Call ahead and maybe you'll get fresh cookies upon arrival.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This historic home is a place to savor. From the décor, to the food, to the friendly and interesting innkeepers.

The architecture of the house is quite intriguing and the furnishings are comfortable and so pleasing to the eye.

The food was amazing from the delicious chocolate wrapped Xmas balls in our room to the scrumptious breakfast. Yum.... Homemade breads, an egg soufflé with vegetables from the garden, and some Amish cinnamon bread with chocolate chips. And the coffee....their own special blend. If you're into food, this is the place to go.

Finally, the care of the innkeepers was just so comforting after a long day of travel. They were there to meet our needs and did so with grace and competence. It really feels like "home" in the best sense of the word.

Room Tip: We stayed in the James Wilson room and loved it!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Charles
Quality Inn & Suites
#3 of 3 in Exmore
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Exmore
Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina

Been to Bay Haven Inn of Cape Charles? Share your experiences!