“Never going there again”
Review of AJ Gators

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
AJ Gators
Ranked #12 of 23 Restaurants in Carrollton
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 3 July 2014

As we live in nearby Smithfield, my family eats here occasionally. Typically, it's hit or miss with this place... Today was absolutely unacceptable. My wife and I went in for lunch. Because there is no hostess (ever), we sat ourselves as customers are expected to do there. After 11 minutes, no one had come over to take a drink or food order. We just left. Bothered, I called from the car and asked to speak with a manager. The manager could not have been more dismissive. I told her that we waited 11 minutes with absolutely no attention to which se responded, "You should have come up to us and let us know." I told her that it is atypical for customers to enter a restaurant and announce that they wish to receive service. Besides, the bar was unmanned, and we only saw one waitress and a trainee the whole time. The place wasn't busy; it never is. I could accept the poor service, but not the dismissive finger pointing of someone who's supposedly accountable for service. AJ Gator's Carrollton location is dead to me.

1  Thank Michael C

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have been going to this A.J. Gators location since it opened several years ago. We finally decided that our last trip will be the last one. For a while, each time we visited, the smell of the restaurant was getting worse and worse, a stale, dirty smell. The sitting area is dingy and hardly clean and I can only imagine what the kitchen looks like. The wait staff has declined in quality over the years and their attention and service is no longer acceptable. Food has always been average, but I still can't get past the smell and wondering what it looks like where my food is coming from. It's really unfortunate since this was really the best and almost only sports bar option in the area. I guess in the future I will either head towards Chesapeake Square or cross the James River Bridge to Hampton. Maybe I will walk in one more time in a year to see if the smell has gotten any better, if not, I will walk right back out the door.

2  Thank Albert K
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The food here is standard bar fare. Since adding a smoking area, the main part of the restaurant now also smells like stale cigarette smoke, which is definitely a turn off. On this particular visit, the service and food were good, but my past experiences on several other visits have been that the service is extremely slow even when the restaurant is empty.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

I would never dine here during the day. I only go to watch football games that aren't on local channels. Food is OK, as are the drinks. No reason to go other than the football games.

Reviewed 16 April 2013

My husband and I were on our way to visit family in Hampton, Virginia and was looking for somewhere to eat dinner before we crossed the James River Bridge. We saw AJ Gators on the side of the road and decided to pull in. We had a nice waitress, Jennifer, to take our order. We ordered a couple of draft beers along with the Turkey Melt and the Philly Steak with potato salad.
The sandwich was good but the salad lacked any taste at all! It was late and we were so hungry that the meal probably tasted better than it actually was...it was just convenient!

Been to AJ Gators? Share your experiences!