“Pay a lot, get a little”
Review of Reel In Restaurant LLC - CLOSED

Reel In Restaurant LLC
Price range: US$6 - US$24
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: We are a small local fresh seafood restaurant with a variety of choices. Have your seafood fried, bronzed, steamed, or broiled to perfection along with one of our fresh house made soups, salads, or sides. We also offer plenty of land lover choices as well. After you enjoy your great meal walk through the double doors and into "The Cove" to enjoy live music and entertainment.
Virginia
“Pay a lot, get a little”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Stopped in the Reel Inn today for lunch and decided on their lunch "special" shrimp basket for $7.95. What was presented to us was a basked of overly salty and too much pepper home made waffle chips with six medium chips - both of us left hungry. A steep price $24 including tip (would never stiff the waitress) for a meager meal. Second attempt, firs was for dinner - don't believe we'll be going back. Too bad because we need a nice family restaurant here in Carrollton, that isn't a chain or fast food.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank gmaVirginia
elliotcohen, past owner at Reel In Restaurant LLC, responded to this review, 1 October 2014
sorry for your experience just wanted Carrollton to know that I Elliot Cohen sold Reel in and am no longer responsible.

Chesapeake, Virginia
“Decent food, but not much better than average”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We finally got around to trying out this restaurant but I don't think we found much of a reason to return. We ordered the she crab soup which was OK, maybe a little less than OK. My wife ordered the fish and chips and I had tilapia. Both were average and not much more. The service wasn't great and some of the basics were missed like forgetting to bring out our silverware until after food was served. It wasn't too expensive and the food was acceptable, but I think better options exist outside the area and I will be willing to drive a little farther than to give it another try in the future.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank ekevitz
Newport News, Virginia
“Reel In was really great”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Went out to eat this weekend with husband and friends and had heard mixed reviews about this place yet decided to find out for ourselves. I know that with new restaurants there can be some bugs to work out and that no place is perfect so we wont condemn them off of other peoples reviews, especially since the grumpy and unreasonable people will make a point to write reviews and complain to be negative however, the satisfied people, more often then not, are just happy so they don't bother posting. I was happily surprised to be in the satisfied column and felt that I needed it to heard so that others wont go off of the bad but hear the good as well. My husband has spent more then a little time in Louisiana and said the shrimp and grits here were the best he has had since leaving, I loved the choices of seafood between the menu and the specials but I settled for the bronzed seafood feast and couldn't have been happier! The crabcake was a welcome treat, to finally find a local crab cake with blue crab as the main ingredient! All in all it was a great experience and although I could see a few problems and growth areas we overall were extremely happy and will return many more times.

• Visited March 2014
Smithfield, Virginia
“Very Disappointed!”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

My son and I went to the Reel In for dinner last evening. Very disappointed. We were seated quickly however, we waited a bit for our waitress to come. When she did she took our drink order. We waited 15 minutes for our drinks while she brought food out to one large party and another table of two. She got all of the extra things those tables wanted and then finally came by our table to asked again what we wanted to drink. I wish I would have left then! We waited another 10 minutes for our drinks. By now we had read the menu several times which is very short on seafood selection for a seafood restaurant. It is a very limited menu. When we finally got our drinks the waitress then read us the specials. Shouldn't that be done when she takes the drink order??

My 6 year old son loves seafood. However, there is not a single seafood option on the kids menu. So I ordered the broiled shrimp platter for 18.95 for him. I ordered a Caesar salad and for 6.99 extra I added broiled shrimp for myself. I was disappointed that salads don't come with the entrees.

I will say our food came fairly fast after ordering. But there is a good reason. My salad was small, more like a dinner salad. The lettuce and croutons were soggy which tells me if was premade and hanging out in a fridge. The 6.99 extra for shrimp netted me four meager sized shrimp on the salad. My son's shrimp platter was a child size portion. It was certainly not adult sized. The hush puppies were pretty big, hard to bite into and bland. Again, the shrimp were meager for being advertised in the menu as jumbo shrimp. They were a small medium size at best. The fries were luke-warm.

They have these cone lights on the table that you're suppose to turn on and set at the end of the table of you need something. However, our waitress didn't leave us alone after she delivered the food. Oh, and we asked for extra sauce which we did get but after she took care of another table who requested something after we did! She kept asking if everything was ok. I wish I had the gall to say no it wasn't but I'm not generally confrontational. Literally two bites went by in between her asking if we needed anything. Makes the lights a moot point. I hurried my son so we could just leave.

So, 18.95 for the jumbo shrimp platter that was a child size portion, 15.00 for a dinner size Caesar shrimp salad, leaving hungry because my salad was so small, and bad service ensures that we will never go back nor will we recommend it to anyone!

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Carrie E
Carrollton, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Reel Inn is a reel rip off”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Despite some negative reviews online i decided to see for myself and found that the restaurant was a rip off. We ordered two pounds of shrimp and did not receive two pounds. When we questioned it within minutes 2 more plates of shrimp arrived as if they knew we might question it. Asked for a refill on my water and received club soda. Got the check and on the menu it stated that if you paid with cash you would get 5 percent off your bill however they tried to tell me that it was only if you tell the waitress you are paying with cash who does that? I got my bill (100 dollar bill that is) I put the cash in the book paid my bill and when I got my change realized i didn't get my 5 percent off the waitress told me she couldn't take it off now because it was already closed out. I asked to speak to the manager who is actually getting ready to be the owner and she also tried to tell me she couldn't do it which is false advertising. She immediately turned into a smart butt a and gave me my 5 dollars "out of her personal pocket". Not happy and will not go back!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Jbharris512
elliotcohen, Owner at Reel In Restaurant LLC, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
We saw that the chips were light and before cust. Said anything we delivered more. Yes we give a discount for paying with cash. My manager made it quick and easy by taking the 5% out of her pocket to deal with the problem later bit the cust. Still wasn't happy. We try to please 100% but u can't please everyone.