“Beautiful scenery and awesome food”

Home Place Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Catawba
Price range: US$15 - US$16
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Description: Serving family style meals since 1982.
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Go early or you will have a pretty long wait, but the food is definitely worth it. My husband swears it is some of the best fried chicken you will ever eat. We do not care for the roast beef, but the ham is good. We also like all the side items that they serve. This is a family style restaurant where they bring the food to the table in bowls and refill them with whatever you want more of. We enjoy walking around the grounds and taking pictures as well. We usually go there for special occasions, but if it were closer to us, we would probably go more often. Highly recommend.

1  Thank Lisa A

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Good ole plain country cookin' family style.

Lots of fun. All you can eat. Two hard decisions to make: 1. do you go with the two meat or three meat option; and 2. Do you stop eating in time to save room for the cobbler du-jour.

Most all of the reviews are spot on. You get sufficient quality for the price and get get ample quantity for the price. I led an adventurous crew of VA Tech Grad Students for a Sunday outing and we had a great time.

The Homeplace can get really (emphasis on the really) busy with some long wait times. A good trick is to go to bed the night before VERY HUNGRY - and then get up and skip breakfast and plan your trip to arrive just before 11:00 when the open the doors. NO WAIT - we got seated immediately!

I've been there before - this visit was excellent. The fried chicken was crispy, the roast beef was tender, the country ham was a tad less salty this time ... I'm a sucker for the mashed spuds and gravy ... biscuits are always good with the apple butter ... and then there's the cobbler dessert. Save room it's great.

Finally -what I like to point out is that one rarely gets to use the following words in a sentence all at the same time: College Student - All you can eat - $15.00 - Good Food - Fun.

This is a destination venue - put it on you to do list. You'll love it.

Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

First thing, be prepared to wait. There is almost always a line, but for good reason! Those waiting can stroll around the grounds or enjoy the porch swing. The food is simple, country fare and it's so good! Gotta try the tea and lemonade together. The price may seem a little high, but when you consider getting unlimited refills of veggies, as well as having drink and dessert included, it's a pretty good deal!

Reviewed 30 January 2014

I visited the Homeplace last weekend for the first time in several years. It was just as good as I remembered. I am typically not a fan of this type of dining venue, but this one sets the bar for others. It is truly in a rural setting and has the feel of being on a farm surrounded by open fields. In fact, it is hard to find for some.

Upon arrival, expect to wait a while if you go at peak times. The open at 4:30 Thur-Sat for dinner, but I went on Sunday, when they open at 11:00. It is a simple concept. You have a choice of having 2 or 3 meats ($1 more for all 3), and then you get all of the vegetables ubnless you request not to receive some of them.

They always have delicious fried chicken, roast beef and country ham, and add pulled prok bbq on Thursdays only. Vegetables include mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, pinto beans, corn, cole slaw, and sometimes fried apples or another veggie of the day. Drinks include soft drinks, tea, coffee, lemonade...and cobbler with ice cream is included for dessert. They also serve biscuits and have apple butter and chowchow on request. Everything is served family style in large bowls to pass around the table and everything is all you can eat. They will bring more of anything, including meats, as needed. The cost for adults is $14 for one meat or $15 for all 3 and that includes drinks, dessert, and taxes. I opted for just chicken and was only charged $13.

I have to say, the fried chicken is among the best I have ever eaten anywhere. If you go when the weather is nice, it is pleasant to stroll around the grounds while waiting for a table. I went at about 11:15 on a Sunday and did not wait at all, but others who were coming as I left were being quoted a 30 minute wait time.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

The Home Place is ranked as number 5 on a Hokie's bucket list, and it is easy to see why. I've not had better fried chicken and the roast beef is great, particularly with the chow-chow. We had a companion who has the proverbial hollow leg, and even he was satisfied. The staff is friendly and the atmosphere is un-hurried, so relax. It is worth it.