“Best sushi around”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I love this place and go maybe two times a month. The service is friendly, the sushi is fresh and very reasonably priced and you get some extras that you normally have to pay for at other places (you get a serving of edamame and some fried wanton things to start your meal). Order the funky roll when you're there... it's a California roll deep-fried tempura style with two types of mayonnaise sauce on them. It's one of my favorite foods ever.

Two warnings though... 1) They are open for lunch and dinner, but they are closed for a few hours in between, so check the hours before you go. 2) It's normally really cold inside, so bring a coat.

Reviewed 1 February 2013

We visited this restaurant at least once a month when we lived in South Riding. Or we did take out. Now we don't get there too often. We miss it. The salmon sashimi is always excellent. We usually get sushi or sashimi, but have had the tempura and other dishes which are quite good. The teriyaki dishes have too much onion for me. The tempura batter is usually light and they usually use fresh oil to fry. We love the gyoza and naruto maki (cucumber, crab, egg) appetizers. Service is always excellent.

Reviewed 24 November 2012

We had a family meal here. The service was friendly and the food was pretty good. On the sushi front, they were out of toro, but the maguro and yellowtail were pretty fresh tasting. The best thing about this place is that the menu covers a lot of the simple popular dishes that some fancier Japanese restaurants do not make. A good example is katsudon. It's very basic food, but I love it, and I was thrilled to see it on the menu. It was pretty good. The curry beef on the other hand was pretty weak. The tempura was excellent - not soggy or greasy tasting. The yakisoba was not as good as you can easily make at home - edible, but not worth crossing the street for. So overall, average but it is really a mix of good and not so good.

Reviewed 26 October 2012

The food here is great and the service is very good. The sushi is reasonably priced and aso very good. I very much reccommend going here.

Reviewed 12 September 2012

I admit to being worried when I moved out to Centreville - I was certain that all the food options would be chains and burger joints.

I was so pleased to find Matsu right in my neighborhood. I've dined there three times now and haven't been disappointed. The sushi is consistently fresh, they completely understand my special requests (none of that mayo-y schmear when I want something spicy and no cucumbers) and the price is very reasonable!