Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center
Book In Advance
More Info
US$240.00*
and up
Private Customized Tour of Washington DC with US...
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Chantilly
Reviewed 25 June 2014

If you like aviation, or eve have a slight interest, this is a must visit place. Take the family, take the neighbors, and anyone else who want to spend a day surround by history. Even those who hardly know what a plane is leave fascinated and want to return.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,906)
All reviews
in 113 reviews
"flying machines"
in 56 reviews

Reviewed 25 June 2014

If you just walk into the Udvar Hazy Air and Space Museum you might feel overwhelmed by the vastness of the place and the collection. It really is huge! But we found that they offer tours that help you get some perspective. Each tour guide has his own tour so it probably depends upon what guide you get, but we had Chris J. and his overall theme was really engaging. I learned so much and he gave us some ideas that wove everything together and gave us something to think about instead of just facts and figures.
I also enjoyed being able to view the restoration work that is ongoing from a viewing area on the floor above the work. There is also an elevator that takes you up to a viewing platform where you can watch planes take off and land at Dulles airport. I also have to recommend a display case by the space shuttle that shares how astronauts both eat and eliminate. sounds crude, but something you never hear talked about and it certainly is the great common denominator! The museum is well worth a visit.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Outstanding experience. Seeing the Space Shuttle Discovery up close, as well as all the aircraft on display, brought tears to my eyes and made me thank God even more for the freedom we enjoy in the US and for those who fight to keep us free.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We took a bus tour from Philly area via Hagey Tours, always a good experience, avoiding
the Washington traffic. Plan on 2 to 8 + hours depending upon your level of interest. Wear comfortable shoes. Stop at the visitor desk for a map, note the location scheme on the map
as to the location and level of the aircraft. We went on a Saturday and it was not overly crowded. We stayed for 4.5 hours, a nice amount of time to see all the aircraft. Next time we
will take one of the free tours, we did not have time for this or other activites that would be good for the family, Imax and simulators- extra $$. While yoo are not allowed in any of the
aircraft, they are all fully visible. To see the space shuttle was truely awesome.. Only lunch was McD's , but plenty of seating and line not too bad.

See more reviews
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The best aviation museum and the best museum I've ever visited overall. Walking in you are greeted by an SR-71 right in the middle of the hanger and Space Shuttle Discovery right behind it. You will need a few hours to go through the museum and maybe even more if you decided to take photos(2-3). I arrived mid afternoon on a Friday and it wasn't that busy with giant crowds of people. I was able to snap over 300 photos with ease. I suggest having a wide angle lens if you own an SLR. The exhibits seemed to be laid out for the more "serious" aviation crowd. While you do have little descriptions of the aircraft they don't really get into that much detail. If you are unaware of some aircraft or items on display you can always take a tour or ask staff. Seriously though does Concorde or an F-14 need a flashing neon display saying what it is?

I can also suggest taking a good 70-200 lens as you can take some awesome shots of aircraft arriving at IAD from the parking lot.

The only bummer was the gift shop seemed to be short on L or XL Tshrits!

Who care's about the 15$ parking when you have such a well preserved collection in one spot. I would have paid 15$ without a thought to see the collection. The McDonald's on site was a pleasant surprise and has free WiFi. I am not sure what people are complaining about but the prices seemed fine to me...

Travellers who viewed Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center also viewed

Herndon, Fairfax County

Been to Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center? Share your experiences!