“Don't judge the book by the cover!”

Edgewood Plantation
New York City, New York
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Don't judge the book by the cover!”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

So it doesn't look like the other classic plantations. For one thing, it is viewable from the road - and the architecture is not Colonial or Georgian. You will find out why! Get out of the box and see something less stereotypical; you won't be disappointed. This place has history, too - and the grounds and antique collection are fabulous. In addition, Dot, the owner, is so welcoming. You will find a friend with a great sense of humor - as well as tremendous knowledge. She saved this place, and you can tell it is a labor of love. My friend and I visited with minimal expectations, and we were amazed and thrilled with our tour. Can't wait to take other friends - and if we can get a group of 8, we will certainly have tea. You will see things here that you won't see at any other VA plantation including vintage clothing and some exquisite antique dolls. That is just the tip of the iceberg. You will leave with a smile on your face and want to return for one of the many events - or to spend the night in the house or the slave's quarters. Your most fantastic wish will be honored and accomodated. Don't miss this place - or Dot!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank NYCvet

Richmond, Virginia
“"A truly fabulous get away"”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Could not have asked for a more lovely place to get away from it all. From the home, the grounds and the perfect hospitality of the owners, it just does not get better than this. Our room was perfect, adventure around every corner with amazing stories shared by Dot. We have stayed all over the world and this place has it all. Will return again to this perfect home.
Shannon and David. November 2013

Visited November 2013
Frederick, Maryland
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 114 helpful votes
“Don't think James River plantations; think Bed and Breakfast”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

My wife and I were fulfilling a final wish with regard to our many trips down the peninsula to Williamsburg: we took a few days to visit as many James River plantation homes as we could. Earlier that day we had visited Shirley Plantation and found it to be everything we could have wanted in this regard. Edgewood Plantation was on the side of Route 5 as we headed for Berkeley Plantation, another historic site worth the visit. While we enjoyed our brief tour of Edgewood Plantation, the antiques were more interesting than the history of the building or the plantation. Because it was a complete change from what we expected, we were disappointed. You might enjoy visiting this Bed and Breakfast, however. It just wasn't our cup of tea that day.

Visited August 2013
Salisbury, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Oh what a time we had”
Reviewed 4 October 2012

We were welcomed with open arms by Dot who gave us a glass of wine and took her time to sit and talk with us. She knows her history and makes it interesting. Such a kind person! We were allowed to relax and make ourselves at home and enjoy the beauty of the place. The bed was comfortable and the food was good. Most of all, the owners have great personalities and will be remembered fondly. Hope to visit again! Cindy Jones visited in September, 2012

Visited September 2012
Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States
“My amazing surprise visit to Edgewood!”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

My husband knew that I had always wanted to stay in a haunted bed and breakfast. It was a dream come true for me and on September 11, 2012, my dream came true! From the time I stepped out of our vehicle, to the moment it was time to go, it was just a wonderful experience I will cherish forever! This is the most beautiful place I have ever seen and the gorgeous decor and antiques in the home are just awesome! The grounds are also beautiful and really something else to see! If you’re looking for a place to "step back in time", this is THE place to go! Our hosts, Dot and Candy, were wonderful! They are like catching up with an old friend you haven't seen in a long time and they answered all our questions and gave us a great tour! The breakfast that was served in the morning was absolutely delicious! I would also like to say that if you are looking for an "experience", I certainly wasn't disappointed in that department during our stay! There is absolutely nothing disappointing that we can say about Edgewood and our hosts! It's the best experience we will remember for the rest of our lives at very reasonable costs! Thank you to Dot and Candy for our wonderful stay and making it such a special time for us! It was such a pleasure meeting both of you and can't wait for our next stay over with you!

Visited September 2012