“A special B and B!”

200 South Street Inn
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed 21 July 2012

200 South Street Inn in Charlottesville, Virginia, is just what one would expect of a B and B. We had a very special warm welcome and lovely accommodations. Wine and cookies and fruit are available in the late afternoon. Breakfast was good, just about average. The Inn is very conveniently located in downtown Charlottesville but not on the main street which is even better.
People make the difference to a great extent and this was especially true at this B and B. They were immensely helpful and welcoming! I highly recommend this Inn.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for 200 South Street Inn

Reviewed 15 July 2012

Pros:
-The bathroom was very clean
-The bed was fantastically comfortable
-Very short walk to the shops and restaurants
-Great scones in the morning!

Cons
-The inn seems like it could a little bit of a refresh in general
-Breakfast spread was quite limited (breads and more breads), and if there were more than 2 people trying to get breakfast, you could barely move around the table
-No counter space in the bathroom, which meant I had to do my make up in the mirror over the dresser

We checked in late at night and picked up our "package" at the door with our room key and a welcome sheet. It would have been nice if the next morning someone checked in with us to give us an overview of everything, as the welcome sheet told us basically nothing except how to get to our room. It would have been nice to know that we had access to the main house's sitting room, and that there were irons available, and that there was an ice machine. Knowledge of these things would have made the stay a little more comfortable.

We stayed for a few nights in room 17. It had adorable bird paintings on the wall, and overall the decor was lovely (though not necessarily my style).

Also, you need a password for the internet. Nowhere does it tell you that you need a password, nor does it tell you what that password is. I called the front desk to ask about the internet, and I received a very curt response that the password was on the laminated sheet by my bed (it wasn't, as far as I could tell) and I asked if she could tell me what it was anyway, just to avoid my inevitable 2nd phone call when I could not locate the password on the sheet.

In general, we had a lovely stay. Maybe it was a little overpriced, especially considering the "breakfast" part was limited, though delicious. The train was definitely noticeable, though it didn't bother either my husband or me. I gave it a rating of 3 because it really was a nice stay, it just did not exceed my expectations.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Enjoyed two cool nights and days at 200 South Street Inn during the recent July heat wave. The sweltering temperatures made it too hot to do much walking around town, so we holed up at the air-conditioned Inn for much of our stay -- reading, snoozing, and visiting with other guests on the terrace. It was great.
My husband, son and I stayed in Suite 20, which was perfectly clean, spacious, quiet, and tastefully decorated. Some reviewers have described the Inn as run-down or threadbare. I saw NO evidence of this. Walls are freshly painted, antique furnishings are polished and solid, and the upholstery, carpeting and linens are in great shape. Even better, we never heard the dreaded trains pass even once.
Granted, the bathroom was a bit small -- it's an old house, after all -- but access to the Inn's generous veranda more than made up for it. In the morning, we discovered that the breakfast room has few tables, so most guests dine on the veranda. Because of this, the Inn's selection of home-baked goodies, fresh-squeezed orange juice, fruit, yoghurt, and other light breakfast fare was much preferable to loading up on a hot breakfast. Fresh-baked cookies available all day. Wine and cheese served in the evening. Life is good.
The location is excellent, just a block or two from the lively outdoor Mall district with its many shops, restaurants and entertainment venues. Just across the street from the Inn is a nice restaurant called Bang, serving great tapas, appetizers, and a variety of Asian nibbles.
At first I was disappointed in the view from the veranda onto a parking lot. But on Saturday morning the scene burst to life as the lot spilled over with a vibrant farmer's market. Imagine buying fresh peaches just steps from your door!
Our stay at 200 South Street Inn was most enjoyable. It is very professionally run, with a helpful and competent staff. We would not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the building are farther from the railroad tracks in back. However, we never...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2012

There are some good things to say like friendly, helpful, young staff. Nice breakfast but nothing hot if that's what you expect from an Inn/B&B. Paint is peeling. Bathroom in our room had NO counter space which makes it hard especially for us girls needing room for make-up, etc. Toilet didn't flush right - so, therefor the title "no owner on premises" because it DOES matter when someone is there that CARES! They have a night service you can call for help is needed - they are located in Baltimore - now what good is that is something doesn't work, etc.

I will say that the location is convenient but I could choose the Marriott Courtyard which is down the street closer to UVA and be happy with the accomodations!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

The guest contacted our front desk staff and our Night Manager on site concerning a problem connecting with the Internet. Virginia was one of many states that suffered severe damage from a Derecho, a fast moving wind storm producing hurricane force winds that knocked out power to most of our area and the Internet to many surrounding cities. We lost Internet connection for 36 hours and were very fortunate to have kept power throughout the storm. When the guest requested that management speak with them, I called the guest while I was out of town for the evening to explain the situation because our guest's satisfaction is very important to us.

Reviewed 26 June 2012

We stayed three nights here as part of an extended USA trip. We travelled up from Atlanta by overnight train, consequently arriving bleary-eyed at the Inn's door about 7.30am, expecting to have to wait hours for our room. However, we were immediately made very welcome, shown to our room and invited to have breakfast first. It was wonderful to collapse for a few hours in bed before waking, showering and walking the very short distance to Revolutionary Soup for lunch. Enjoyed browsing the mall, and had a very friendly optician repair my specs free of charge!

200 South St Inn's receptionist took time to book tickets to Monticello and arranged a cab with a most friendly driver to take us there. Great service.

The room we had was at the rear of the cottage, but after the first train went through, we rarely noticed the noise (Husband is a train buff, anyhow!). There were signs that some interior maintenance was needed (flaking paint, washbasin very slow to drain), but we noticed exterior work was being carried out, so perhaps interiors will be done in turn.

Breakfasts were beautiful (the Blueberry & Lemon loaf was to die for), and we appreciated the wine and cheese in the afternoons. It was very hot during our stay, so was lovely to sit out on the verandah for breakfast.

For dinner on our last night, we just walked next door to the South Street Brewery - great food and my husband loved their Satan's Pony beer.

All in all - this Inn was one of the better ones we experienced whilst in America. They were even kind enough to send me the recipe for the above mentioned Blueberry & Lemon Loaf!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Great location - just steps from downtown Charlottesville where there are tons of dining options and cool shops. There was also a farmer's market across the street on Saturday. Staff was friendly. I liked the porch sitting areas.

There were two things I didn't like. Our room was fine but the bathroom could use a little better maintenance. The bath tile grout was a bit moldy, paint near the shower was peeling. The breakfast was okay - seems like there wasn't a whole lot of options other than sweet baked breads and sliced breads, fruit, cereal, yogurt. I once stayed at a B&B in Maine and they had a wonderful breakfast with french toast, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal etc.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank citress
Reviewed 23 June 2012

I was extremely pleased with the location, 2 minutes walk to the Pedestrian Mall with lots of shops and places to eat and only about a 6 minute drive to Monticello, which was the primary reason for my visit. The staff was very personable, the generous continental breakfast a definate cut above the norm (fresh bakery items, fresh squeezed OJ) and the comp wine and cheese made me feel I was getting my money's worth. I especially liked the hard wood floors, period furniture and the mattress was very comfortable. There are some outdoor condition issues, but nothing that detracted from my enjoyment of the visit. There were lots of nooks and porches and chairs to sit in all over the place. Wonderful experience of Virginia hospitality!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo