“Very nice room, bar & dining”
Review of Boar's Head Resort

Boar's Head Resort
Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The Boars Head is located in Charlottesville, VA, a neighboring city to ours and we try to get away there once or twice a year. Based on a reconstructed mill and developed into a complete complex with sports, tennis, swimming, spa etc. etc. Lovely setting around a small lake and first rate architecture and is run by UVA real estate group. Very good restaurant and great Sunday brunch buffet and a bar with a roof deck overlooking the lake, it has it all. Definitely more of a resort than a chain hotel experience. Very relaxing for a one night or weekend get away. Outstanding staff!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room overlooking the lake although most do plus they have balconies as well.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tee-Bone-Tee

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Beautiful setting, lots of history, lots to do...I very much enjoyed my conference but I'd love to go back and really enjoy myself. There's beautiful grounds and the food was fantastic. Loved the weather in May as well, which just enhances the entire experience.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2014

It has been some years since we ate lunch at the Boar's Head in Charlottesville, Va. It is
still excellent, with great service. The dining room is well appointed with period furnishings.
Two of us chose the soup and salad buffet while the other had the full buffet for a cost
of over $50, including tax and tip.

Room Tip: Call ahead because this hotel is used extensively by businesses. We didn't stay over night this...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Boar's Head for our 1st anniversary weekend over Memorial Day. The staff went above and beyond to make our stay memorable. We had booked the bed and breakfast package. When we got there, we were upgraded to a suite and sent free chocolate covered strawberries that night! It was great to be treated so well.
The location itself is beautiful and central to everything we wanted to do. The rooms are great and the staff is awesome. We will be back!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
BH_Pat_Burnette, Marketing & Communications Manager at Boar's Head Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Congratulations on your 1st wedding anniversary! Thank you for your post. Our staff is our finest asset and it is always delightful to learn that our team went above and beyond to make your stay memorable. We hope to see you on property often to create many new family traditions.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

This was my second visit to Boar's Head and my first overnight stay to the facility. I decided to bring my family along this time so we could enjoy the hotel accomodations and leisure time together. (05/20/2014) The resort was absolutely fabulous. The staff was impeccable form the time that we checked in to the time that we departed, taking care of our every need. I ate several meals there during my two day stay and everything was both cooked and served to perfection.
They were doing some exterior maintenance and renovations on the grounds and sidewalks while I was there but the staff did everything in there power to make certain that it would inconvenience their guests.

We were made to feel right at home during this fabulous stay.

Room Tip: Second floor overlooking the lake will provide you added tranguility for the morning coffee or the e...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Joseph H
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Just returned from an overnight at the Boars Head Inn with my husband who attended a business meeting. We have stayed or eaten here at least once a year for the last several years and came periodically before that.

The Boars Head Inn, like The Homestead, holds a special place in the heart of Virginians for the outstanding hospitality and spectacular place of being provided for generations.
Frankly, I grew up in absolute awe of the Boars Head thanks to hearing my parents relish their experiences (which usually included enjoying peanut soup in The Old Mill Room) at the historic establishment.

Overall, the Boars Head seems to be on the way back up after several years of falling off its stellar reputation. It is a solid 4 star rising with two noted exceptions: Douglas, one of if not the most sincere waiters I've ever experienced, in The Old Mill Room and GARY, a superb massuse that made an hour feel like two, in the Spa. These two service personnel are completely 5 star and should be the models for the entire staff.

There are still odd wrinkles such as the little kept and offered pool outside of the spa (why did they close the direct access to it from the locker rooms?), lack of products available for purchase (that are recommended in service), a prominent example of a event cake with broken icing, a drip of paint on new wallpaper in our room. There are also several very green staff that need to shadow the pros and to be mentored. But - these concerns are the exceptions now rather than the rule.

As long as the Boars Head stays true to its clientele, takes care of the little details and keeps its people like Douglas and Gary happy, it will return to its 5 star mystique.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank VAKSP
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I have reviewed this property before, and nothing has changed. This time we stayed in a wonderful suite with all of the amenities. A very nice room. The problem with the Boar's Head is that it doesn't have the well-trained staff it should have. Example: we left our suite in the morning at 8 am, and when we returned at 4, the room had not been made up, and the toilet was still not working in the room. I walked down the hall, and there was a "training room" crowded with staff, giggling and talking. I poked my head in, looking for a housekeeper, and instead of someone standing up and coming to the door to say, "hi, how can I help you?" they actually came and closed the door in my face. Our suite wasn't cleaned up until the housekeepers came to do turn down service. This is just one example of lack of training...it's almost like it's the UVA hotel school, but it's not. Slow dining room service. Lousy housekeeping. A lack of understanding of the hospitality business by the staff. It's an institution, and survives on its history, but trust me when I say it is nothing to write home about. The Hyatt Place is better, believe it or not. Better managed, and a whole lot less expensive.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Lucinda00
BH_Nadine_McLean, Director of Housekeeping at Boar's Head Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent experience at Boar’s Head resort. We take great pride in the service we provide to our guests, and take your comments seriously. The issues you describe are of great concern and certainly not up to our standards. We have begun to implement a solution based on your description of housekeeping service. We sincerely apologize for your less than stellar stay and welcome the opportunity to establish contact with you, so we may learn even more about your visit. Thank you again for your review.