“Very good value”
Review of Econo Lodge North

Econo Lodge North
Ranked #26 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Very good value”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Nice clean room. Friendly staff and a good continental breakfast with excellent orange juice, better than expected for this type of motel. Set amongst other hotels and adjacent to a restaurant. It was very quiet as it is located in a dead end.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
EconoLodgeNorth, General Manager at Econo Lodge North, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a tripadvisor review about your wonderful experience at out hotel. Feedback from our guests is very important to us and your input helps with our continuing efforts to provide excellent service and a great stay.

Thank you so much for your business and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Mountain Top, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Our room was in a state of general disrepair. Portions of the wall were damaged and not repaired. The carpet was in need of being shampooed, not just vacuumed. The door and furniture were dirty and stained. But worst of all was the bathtub - some of the grout in the tiled wall was mildewed, the tub itself had big blotches of discoloration not sure from what, and the hot spigot sprayed out hot water fortunately towards the wall, not out towards the tub.

The breakfast area was also a bit sparse with only coffee, bagels, and muffins.

On the positive side, the refrigerator and the microwave were clean and operational.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
EconoLodgeNorth, General Manager at Econo Lodge North, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to meet or exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Charlottesville hotels

Van Wert, OH
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We stopped here on our trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Found the room through tripadvisor.com. Nice, clean, bug-free room that was VERY economical. It was quiet and we enjoyed a good nights sleep. Would recommend to others.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
EconoLodgeNorth, General Manager at Econo Lodge North, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Most certainly, we are happy to that we were able to meet your needs.

lebanon va
Reviewed 19 August 2013

have stayed at this hotel for several years for doctor appointments etc. room have always been clean, staff is very friendly and they really work at making your stay a pleasure. there have been times that this hotel was full and I have had to book other room. they were mostly more expensive and several were far less appealing thtan this hotel. I now try to book my rooms far enough in advance to insure I can get a room here. I would recommend the hoitel to anyone looking for a fair price and clean rooms.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
EconoLodgeNorth, General Manager at Econo Lodge North, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for talking your time and writing an online review. we are mighty pleased that your enjoyed your stay and appreciate your business.

GM
Hawley, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Really nice hotel that doesn't seem to get as many kudos as it should. Friendly staff, clean room, and I had the best night's sleep here that I've had in a year. The bed linens and towels were soft, comfy, and clean. It was quiet. No bugs. The furnishings were pleasant and they do offer a (truly minimal) continental breakfast. There's a Chinese restaurant next door and a gas station/mini-mart within walking distance. It's easily accessible of Rt. 29 and is at the end of a short dead-end. No refrig or hair dryer but everything that was supposed to work did. There are really no "nice views" as it is in an area devoid of "scenery," but it's a great location and an awesome price for what you get. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are probably quiet as it's on a dead end. Surprisingly, I didn't hear...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
EconoLodgeNorth, General Manager at Econo Lodge North, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for taking the time to complete our online review. We are happy to hear that you truly enjoyed your stay. Feedback from our guests is very important to us and your input helps with our continuing efforts to provide excellent service and a great stay.

Kind Regards,
Reviewed 7 August 2013

This motel has gotten some bad reviews on this site but it was really perfectly fine for the two nights I stayed last week. The desk chair was pretty grungy and there was some mildew on the ceiling above the tub - looks like some leakage from the room above - but otherwise the room was fine. I think the carpet may even have been new or at least new-ish. The mattress was concrete-like, though.

A few caveats: one reviewer said all Econo Lodges are not the same and she's right. I stayed in one in Rehoboth Beach, DE, and another one in Savannah, and those were a little better "appointed" than this one. For instance, after many years of lugging a hair drier along in case the hotel didn't have one, I finally left my drier home this time. Well, this Econo Lodge, unlike the other two, did not have a drier in the room (they may have had them at the front desk but I didn't ask). It also didn't have a coffeemaker, although it did have a small fridge and a microwave. I never did have the hotel's breakfast but it is pretty basic: bread for toast, bagels, small muffins, orange juice. There's also no place to sit; you'd have to bring the brown water, er, I mean coffee and whatever else you choose back to your room.

They're also real sticklers with the 2 p.m check-in time. I arrived in Charlottesville around noon and killed almost an hour and a half in some stores before arriving at the hotel at 1:20. I was told my room wasn't ready and I should go away for a while and come back at 2. I didn't really want to do that so I sat in my car and waited. The housekeeping woman did my room first and It was ready at 1:45.

By the way, my second night in town I had the most wonderful time at the Aberdeen Barn next door, which bills itself as "Virginia's premier steakhouse." They also have locations in Williamsburg and Virginia Beach. I went in just wanting a glass of wine and an appetizer. I ordered a glass of local red - Barboursville merlot, I think - and a wedge salad and was served a small basket of rolls and sesame bread sticks, some potted Cheddar cheese (cheez?) and a small dish of butter before my salad came. The restaurant also has bowls of peanuts (Virginia, I hope!) on the bar. So my salad turned into a whole meal (at least for me) and I spent a very pleasant hour and a half chatting with Susan the bartender, who's been with the restaurant for 20 years. Later on Robert, the head chef who's been with the place for 47 years, came out and chatted with us. It was really one of my nicer experiences in Charlottesville!

Room Tip: I asked for the ground floor and was given room 112, which is right next to the ice machine.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
EconoLodgeNorth, General Manager at Econo Lodge North, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to complete our online review regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I booked into this Econo Lodge because I was less than impressed last year by the adjacent Quality Inn (same Choice chain). This is a fairly new motel because I think I can remember it was under construction early in 2012. Unlike the Econo Lodge closer to the University of Virginia at least it has free Wi-Fi. The breakfast is Spartan even by continental standards but there are plenty of restaurants nearby. There is a good Korean restaurant next door which is open until 10PM for dinner.

The problem I had with this motel was we stayed on the ground floor and as the motel was quite crowded there were people above us. The floor must be minimal because you could hear lots of noise and the same goes for adjacent rooms on the ground floor. As many patrons are either truck drivers or long distance drivers the noise after about 4:30 AM prevented any real sleep. I won't be staying in this one again although price-wise it is comparatively cheap and it was clean. I suspect the noise problems are related to its construction so I don't think they can be easily solved.

Room Tip: Get a second floor room but there is no elevator,
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple