We were in town for the Harvest Festival at Monticello and stayed here Thursday night. We would have stayed here Friday night also, but they basically tripled their rate because it was the night before the festival. A despicable practice.
The hotel is located between two major highways in a residential area, so its not within walking distance to anything. And given the area it's in, I wouldn't recommend walking anywhere. It's an older hotel, but has undergone some renovations, which are going to continue I was told.
There is an on-site restaurant and bar, both of which close too early, particularly the bar, 9 & 10 o'clock respectively. We got there 15 min before the restaurant closed. Usually you get rather rude treatment when you do that, but not in this case. The wait staff was very friendly and attentive. We only ordered a quesadilla to split and a drink ea. My wife said that the house White Zinfandel she ordered was a very good and my bourbon Manhattan was made perfectly. The quesadilla was excellent. It was loaded with cheese and very tender steak.
The hotel lobby was one of the areas renovated and was done in a cold modern design, but it was new and clean. The other areas renovated were the rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors, and fortunately we were assigned a room on the 3rd.
The room was very clean and beautifully done, much nicer than I would have expected for a Holiday Inn. It was spacious with new furniture. The decor was on the modern side, but still had warmth. The bathroom was equally nice, although too narrow making it a one person at a time room. And although the bed was an old-fashioned regular spring mattress, it was comfortable and not too hard.
Now for the down side. It's one of the noisiest hotels I've stayed at. If it wasn't for the AC fan and the white noise machine I use, we wouldn't have gotten any sleep. Given the two highways and that a helicopter was flying nearby for hrs (never did find out why) it was unreal with noise.
The stay ended on a good note. As part of our stay we were given a $10 voucher towards breakfast. The breakfasts are reasonably priced, for a hotel, with large portions and very good.
If you can get a room on a renovated floor, not be price gouged because of an area event, and keep the AC/heater unit fan on because of the noise, it's a nice place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Monticello Nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, we are 2 miles from the Historic Downtown Mall . We are the closest hotel to nearby attractions such as: Monticello; Ash Lawn-Highland; and Michie Tavern, and a convenient 3 miles from the University of Virginia and the UVa Hospital. Our hotel is just minutes away from the numerous arts and entertainment events held at the Paramount Theatre, Downtown Pavilion, Starr Hill Music Hall, Ash-Lawn Opera, and our newest venue, the John Paul Jones Arena also known as The Jack or JPJ . For visitors traveling on business we are close to State Farm Regional Office, GE-Fanuc, Hyosung, Lexis Nexis, SNL Securities, Klockner Pentaplast, UVA Medical Center, Martha Jefferson Hospital, , and Luck Stone Corp. This Charlottesville hotel features comfortably appointed rooms, free high-speed Internet, local phone calls, HBO, pay-per-view movies, irons & boards, hair dryers and coffee makers. The full service restaurant Charlotte s serves breakfast, dinner and room service daily. We have over 2200 square feet of versatile meeting and banquet space to host events for business meetings, weddings, reunions , and events . Let our experienced staff focus on the details to ensure that your event is a complete success. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Monticello reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Monticello Hotel Charlottesville
- Charlottesville Holiday Inn