“Better than it looks”

Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area
Ranked #29 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Better than it looks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

My husband and I bid on Hotwire for this stay and I was not excited to get this property because it is old and on a busy street. I was worried that it was a smoking room so I called the hotel to ask for non-smoking and the clerk was polite and accomodating. Obviously it has been updated on the inside, the lobby and rooms were very clean. We stayed in room 405 which was on the back side overlooking woods and a neighborhood -quiet. The location is very accessible to downtown and I-29 North.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Oxford, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

Stayed at this hotel for almost a month, nice room, comfortable bed,nice atmosphere. The people at the front desk helped me in any way they could, when there was a problem or suggesting a place to eat. The wait staff in the breakfast area were courteous, and kind every time I ate there. The bar and dining area had a fantastic wait staff and catered to every need. I will stay there every time I work in that area.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

I booked this hotel thru HotWire and was leery when I read online reviews---let's face it, some were not good at all. Overall this was a good place to stay: large rooms, excellent mattress on my King bed, nice to have a mini-fridge in the room, good TV and free wi-fi. Major con was the restaurant did not open for breakfast until 7am. However, because of an in-room fridge we were able to bring our own continental breakfast and eat at 6:30am when we needed to. Another con was that the front desk wasn't as welcoming as I would have expected. They weren't nasty, but just doing their job----guess I have been spoiled in the past by front desk folks who honestly seem happy to see you and eager to answer any questions. There is some noise from the road out front, but it didn't interfere with our sleep as we had the fan on in the room all night (kinda makes it's own white noise). We did not hear any thru the walls as others had. I would stay here again as it was very convenient to where we needed to be the next morning.

Room Tip: from other reviews rooms on the back side might be quieter although I would just put the fan on the...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

Stayed in the Holiday Inn - Charlottesville - University area for a USTA tennis function. The hotel itself is an older structure that has been renovated with today's modern ammenities including a nice resturant which featured American cuisine for dinner and breakfast. The first night we checked in early and the staff at the hotel immediately made us feel right at home. We were given a very spacious corner room on the sixth floor. The room itself was a little cool but was made comfortable with an adjustment to the a/c unit. Bedding and bathrooms were clean and comfortable as you would expect for a national hotel chain. The hotel also offered an indoor pool as well as a small exercise room. The hotel is located on a the very busy Emmet St in Charlottesville which made it easy to get to local malls and places to eat all within 1 mile of the hotel. We ate dinner at a local Whole Foods market which was literally accross the street from hotel. The next morning we had the free complimentary full breakfast. Breakfast good with the waittress attending to all of our needs. Check out was simple and quick after our two night stay. Overall a good value for the money spent.

Room Tip: Corner rooms were larger than normal, on the south side of the hotel. A good deal away from the ele...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Kitchener
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

We stayed here on Feb. 4th, and found it to be a pretty good place.

It's very close to trader Joe's and Whole foods so there is some pretty good food available if you just want to eat in your room like we did. The only problem we found is there are no crosswalks at the intersection outside of the hotel.

The rooms are nice and large. I don't find them to be too dated, They are just all purpose hotel rooms. we had two doubles and it was more than enough room. there was a fridge and a microwave in the room which was great. Coffee is by the elevators in the foyer in the morning.

we got the room for around $60 on priceline, so it was a steal.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Carmel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2012

Hotel claims I booked an advance pay reservation, but I did not. Hotel accepted my cancellation two full days before the scheduled date and I have a confirmed cancellation number. Hotel refuses to reverse credit card charge. My circumstances at the time were such that I would never have booked a room with the commitment to pay the full amount, even if the hotel wasn't used. This is an unethical hotel.

Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank doogles41
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
Dear doogles41,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Charlottesville hotels

Bloomington, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012

Room was fairly nice -- effort made to update with new surface treatments. Doesn't seem Holiday Inns or the whole IHG chain values vacuuming floors. Not a high value on exercise either. The workout room had a couple of old broken treadmills. Spent 15 mins trying to get them to work. Told guy at front desk and he said it had been reported the night before. I suspect it has been reported for months, maybe years, given the appearance of the machines. Could go to Gold's Gym on brisk Dec. morning in my workout gear or run on the dark streets. Opted for running on the dark street. Not very safe, cold and not a good option. Recommend looking for other lodging options.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Charlottesville - University Area, responded to this review, 2 January 2013
Dear Jordan C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am delighted to know that our rooms exceeded your expectations. On the other hand I am sorry for any inconvenience the condition of our carpets and workout facilities may have caused during your stay. I appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services.

Krysllin G.