“Location-Hospitality-Food=Heaven”

The Inn at Court Square
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We were celebrating a 70th birthday by spending three nights in Charlottesville, Virginia at the Inn at Court Square, which is the oldest building in this very historic town. LOCATION: right on the main square with terrace overlooking a lovely park, two blocks from the pedestrian mall. Four miles from Monticello - one mile from U. of VA. Total silence at night. Parking behind the Inn. HOSPITALITY: the initial telephoned reservation immediately indicated pleasant things to come. And when Pat greeted us, we knew we had picked the right place. Comfortable room with sitting area, beautiful linens and wonderful bathroom with great shower. Pat, Sandy, and Keahi were supreme in their various duties. Pat: in charge of local information, useful tid-bits and PASTRY!!! ...Pastry? we will get to that later. Sandy: also host extraordinaire and dinner waiter. Keahi: morning breakfast and lunch guru, - a cheerful person to start one's day with. Candance DeLoach, owner, designer/decorator/antique dealer and friendly conversationalist.
Now, let's get to the FOOD: BREAKFAST -- freshly ground coffee, teas, orange juice, homemade granola placed in a large bowl surrounded with a generous and decorative assortment of mixed berries/local yogurt if you wish. Selection of mixed mini muffins - (this is where Pat the pastry chef comes in) - and... slices of authentic French quiche - I mean, the kind you only get in Paris. DINNER -served Thurs. Friday or Sat. We began with the most incredible cold fresh pea soup with a touch of mint. We then selected the Savannah Pecan Crusted Chicken with a bourbon blackberry sauce, snap peas and spiced roasted sweet potatoes. And for the vegetarian - creamy rich mushroom Perlau with a variety of rices and wheat berries, asparagus on the side. DESERT - homemade heavenly chocolate cake and the best New York Cheese Cake. I am from NYC and know the difference. We were delighted to discuss our wonderful dinner with Chef Jess Martin after we licked out plates clean! All in all, the combination of the above, with special kudos to the knowledgeable team who make this place highly unusual in a world bleakly bereft of the concept of service with a smile, made our celebratory few days memorable. 5 stars!! I suggest you make a dinner reservation when you reserve your room.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 July 2013

The location of this B&B couldn't be better, a short walking distance to main street in Charlottesville - all very historic with lots to see and do. The outside patio area is charming and was a great place to enjoy a glass of wine. The main lobby area is beautiful, very southern and charming. The breakfast served also very good. Our disappointment was with the room we were given, at the back of the house and maybe the only one on the main level. The room itself was kind of drab and the air conditioning was not working so it made the room hot and stuffy. Although the staff knew of the issue, nothing was really done to fix the problem. Also, the parking in back is very tight which can be alarming! Not of these issues would keep us from returning. If I could have given 3 1/2 stars I would, but I wouldn't say our experience was very good.

Room Tip: not the ground floor room
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2013

The inn is perfectly located and the staff is charming. The rooms are nice, the bed is so so, and all the pieces of furniture have a price tag on them. When I reserved I was told all the rooms are taken and only the suits are available and yet the two rooms next to our suite were vacant our entire stay.

The real disappointment was the breakfast. For a place that claims to have a pastry chef, one piece of quiche (and a mediocre one) that's it.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2013

My boyfriend and I had the best experience at Court Square. Everything from when we walked in the door and were greeted by Sandy to when we left was just lovely. The location is great and if you are looking to stay somewhere with amazing character and fabulous food Court Square is the place!!! We can't wait to go back

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We stayed here with friends in May and could not have been more pleased. From the welcoming glass of wine to the delicious breakfast the next day everything was just perfect. The bed was very comfortable and the linens a nice quality. The Inn is one of the oldest buildings in Charlottesville, and the owner is an antiques dealer who has a great eye for decor. Many of the furnishings are for sale, which is a quirky and intriguing idea. Our friends from abroad loved looking at the tags on various items! Everyone in our party of five couples thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I booked the day of which I think threw them off. She was very clear that she needed me to arrive at a specific time as she needed to make an appointment, which made sense to me. I made sure to arrive by the agreed upon time but was not met by a warm welcome. Quite the opposite, I was taken to my room on the main level, the door came out onto the kitchen and back entrance. Not ideal, my window faced the parking lot. I asked to be moved and given the low occupancy that evening I was moved to a larger room upstairs. Hostess did not offer to carry my luggage up the stairs and seemed quite annoyed by my arrival and request to be moved. An okay place but I was really put off by the lack of warmth, kindness and just basic customer service I expect from a B&B. Other staff was quite friendly and helpful but again encountered the rude and annoyed inn owner upon my check out when I requested an itemized receipt for business purposes. Because of this service by the owner, I will not revisit this inn as there are several more hospitable inns in the Charlottesville area where I can enjoy a more pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Don't choose room on main floor
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Chaska16
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We made reservations for the weekend as we were attending a wedding. We were greeted by smiling faces when we arrived. The complimentary glass of wine was much appreciated which we had in the drawing room next to the restaurant. We were very fortunate to speak at length with the Executive Chef, Karl Bock. He is an extremely interesting person to talk to and made several recommendations for dining which were excellent. We stayed in the Opie Norris room which was very nice and the bed was comfortable. Sandy was the manager for the time we were there and his suggestions of things to do were perfect for us. The farmer's market is huge and very diverse. Lots of food vendors with amazing choices of food. The Inn is located two blocks from the downtown walking mall, which is a street that has been converted to a pedestrian mall with great shops and restaurants and street vendors. This concept is an excellent one that other cities should copy. Breakfast each morning was well thought out with fresh food which was delicious. Also the portions were of reasonable size which was nice. We will be returning to Charlottesville and will most likely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple