“Food, service and prices are outstanding! Best Asian restaurant in C'ville!”
Review of Kyoto

Kyoto
Ranked #210 of 568 Restaurants in Charlottesville
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I was rushing around and starving, I stopped in to pick up carry out. Walked in and the woman who greeted me was so kind and made me feel like I had been there a million times. I order the jumbo shrimp bento box to go and she let me sit in a booth while I waited, offered me water or tea and gave me a travel book to read. Finding my self suddenly relaxed and not so rushed in this very inviting atmosphere. Looking around through to the open kitchen while what seemed to be all regulars walking in some with kids who helped themselves to crayons and coloring books from a little table and couples who just new their way. The place is small, but so comfortable, the perfect size and the staff is amazing, when I got my food in several bags I thought I had the wrong order but they said no it was mine. I got home to the best bento box ever! Crunchy large shrimp cooked perfect, salad with dressing so good I dipped all the tempura veggies in it, a couple crunchy won tons, seaweed salad, soup, and rice! We have been back 3 times and the last time my hands were full and she actually helped me carry everything to my car and gave me a couple packets of tea for my road trip so I didn't have to drink bad gas station coffee! You must try this place, I crave it all the time now, prices, service and food are all above and beyond!

3  Thank mimi1971

Reviewed 13 July 2013

We wanted to go to the Lime Tree but it was closed indefinitely, so thought we would try Kyoto near TJMaxx. Food was freshly prepared, had spring roll appetizer, edamame, soup which came with the meal and vegetarian curry with tofu. The curry had tons of fresh vegetables but the sause was a bit bland if you like Thai food it will be noticable. The owner was very gracious and accomodating and brought some spice to add to it. The spring rolls edamamie and soup were perfect. Loved the decor with swan oragami hanging from the ceiling. This was meaningful to me personally. Had a lovely meal and will be back when in Cville.

1  Thank PGJ28451
Reviewed 12 July 2013

We went to this little restaurant in a shopping center near TJ MAxx at the recommendation of a foodie friend. It was different than other Asian restaurants. They had a small Japanese menu, a small Chinese menu and an eclectic collection of floral and herbal teas.

It was an overall pleasant dinner. The décor is a little cheesy with some origami figures suspended from the ceiling and Chinese phrases and their meaning framed on the walls.

The hostess, who may be the owner was very friendly and our server was knowledgeable and attentive.

They were out of the broiled eel that night so I ordered a teriyaki salmon and tempura shrimp bento box. the tempura was perfectly done and the salmon was flavorful My wife ordered a fruit-flavored shrimp curry which was unlike most traditional curry but flavorful and lovely.

Rose tea was delicious.

Will definitely return to explore more of their menu.

2  Thank Alexander_Salomon297
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Just travelling south and lighted on Kyoto. Great food, pleasant service, no fuss. Hard to pick the real food. The menu combined elements of both Japanese and Chinese. Had a bento box (not very adventurous). More than enough. The real surprise was the soup which had as an edition tomato, something not often found in oriental cooking. Compliment the owner on the Chinese sculture diplay at the entrance. Unique.

2  Thank oforamuse
Reviewed 22 December 2012

I had no idea they served lunch and the price is amazing for the food and atmosphere. I highly recommend you go here from a small group of 3-4 to a large group of 12 they can handle it. The service was fast, food was good, what more could I ask for?

1  Thank Charles H