“Nice place to stay”

Residence Inn Charlottesville
Ranked #18 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Glen Rock, New Jersey
“Nice place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Booked this Residence Inn for a group of 5 families to get together. Everything was great. The rooms are a nice size with plenty of bathroom space. Full kitchen which is a great convenience. The rooms were clean as was the rest of the hotel. Staff was friendly and accommodating. Breakfast was very nice and the social hour was a plus. The pool area was adequate and they even have a half court basketball and small tennis court as well. We used the two gas grills twice during our stay. Convenient area near everything in Charlottesville. My only suggestion would be that maybe they do need a door from the bathroom to the bedroom because my husband would get up at 6:30 in the morning and wake me up with the light from the bathroom. Also, it's dog friendly so if you don't want to run into the dogs in the hall, you should probably stay on an upper floor. We were on the first level, but we loved tpseeing the doggies.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Alexandria VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Nice stay in May and used as base to visit wineries. I would return. Quiet rooms and good shops and restaurants across the street. Breakfast was typical RI fare. Bathroom had door between tub and sink.

Room Tip: Pool looked nice but did not use it.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Great Falls, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Lets start with the good things. The facilities were all very clean and updated. Parking was plentiful and free. The hotel is in a good location.

The small things:
1. I am a Marriott Gold member. My profile states that I prefer a high floor. At check-in, I was assigned a second floor room. Not a big deal because we were there for only one night. BUT, the gentleman checking in ahead of me was a Marriott Platinum member. His profile states that he prefers a first floor room. The desk agent was very apologetic but said the only availability on the first floor was a one-bedroom suite. Then she gave him a room on the second floor. Now, it is Marriott's corporate policy to upgrade Gold and Platinum members based on availability. Surely that first-floor one bedroom suite should have been given to that Platinum member. He looked at us and shrugged his shoulders.

2. The desk agent mentioned to both of us (myself and Mr. Platinum) that the evening social experience had an Italian theme featuring stuffed green peppers and mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes? Italian? Mr. Platinum asked about wine/beer as is customary at Residence Inn's in the evening. She said, "no but they are for sale in our market, just off the lobby". For sale? Hum. We chose to go elsewhere to eat. When we returned I peeked at the "Italian" offerings. The mashed potatoes were a glob in an aluminum warming pan with no sauce, butter, etc. So glad we did not wait to wait there.

3. When we got to our room, we looked for the usual microwave popcorn, as we were hungry. No popcorn. I went down to the desk and was given a packet -- it was like they were expecting guests to ask for it instead of providing it in the room.

4. At breakfast the following morning, the orange juice machine had not been turned on and I had to go back again to get it later. When I poured coffee to take back up to the room, there were no lids. I asked the attendant (a very nice woman) she replied that they were on back-order.

5. After my shower I looked for the hair-dryer. What a surprise -- it was indeed a hairdryer but it was the total hairdryer, including the electrical unit that is supposed to be attached to the wall! I should have take a picture! It was awkward and cumbersome, but also funny because it was so ridiculous.

In conclusion, we were only there for one night and would probably stay there again if it was a really, really good price. But not paying full price/corporate/AAA/AARP rate. Not worth it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Shawn M, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlottesville, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for you detailed feedback regarding your recent stay at the Charlottesville Residence Inn. I do apologize that you experience so many issues during your 1 night stay with us. I can assure you that I will use this information to improve communication within each department to help better address issues such as yours. We do to strive to deliver exceptional service and it appears that we failed you. I hope you will give us another chance to wow you in the near future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel and had a wonderful experience. The hotel was very clean, modern and the staff was very friendly. The continental breakfast was top of the line everyday. The evening social was a pleasant surprise. This was by far the best hotel we have stayed in. The only disappointing experience was when my mom used the washer machine and it took her money and did not work, she immediately told the lady at the front desk and nothing was done about the matter, the lady stated to notify her if it occurred again. Losing $1.75 is not that big of a deal but I do feel she should have received a refund for that. One other suggestion is placing larger size garbage cans in the two bedroom suites, as every night we stayed we accumulated more then the small garbage can could hold. Overall, we would definitely stay here again and recommended this place to others.

Green Features: Wonderful place to stay, clean comfortable and friendly staff.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

We loved having a bedroom door so that one could be up without disturbing the other. Breakfast was fine, and there were food offerings also available in the evening which should be helpful for some travelers. We called several hours ahead of our arrival to reserve a room for two nights. Unfortunately, there was some miscommunication at registration, and they were expecting us to check out after one night. When we did not do so, things got a little confused. They managed to get it all sorted out with only minor inconvenience to us. I suspected they might have been training someone new on the desk. Everyone was unfailingly helpful and nice. The room and bed were clean, but the floor in the kitchen area was a little sticky. There is a laundry room with coin-operated machines that was a lifesaver to us after days on the road. The location is good, close to the highway and convenient for shopping.

Room Tip: Two or more traveling together will appreciate having the separate bedroom space, so don't get a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LauraAHA
Shawn M, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlottesville, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for your constructive feedback, we appreciate when our guest offer great comments on areas that we can improve, yet also point out what we are doing well. I will be sure to pass along your concerns regarding the kitchen floor to the Housekeeping Supervisor. And you are correct we do have a few GREAT new Associates that are catching on quick.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Residence Inn in Cville is the place to stay. The rooms are huge and they come with all the amenities. The free breakfast is decent. What I was most impressed with is the friendliness and genuineness of the staff. You can't go wrong staying here.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your kind words. We take pride in delivering great service. I am glad that we were able to exceed your expectations! We look forward to your next visit in Charlottesville!
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Location is great and close to lots of historical attractions. It was great to have access to grills so you could have real food on the road. Areas for improvement: rooms don't get cool, aren't clean and have live bugs. Housekeeping forgets soap, shampoo or towels every day. Staff is lukewarm.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Shawn M, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlottesville, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at the Charlottesville Residence Inn, I am happy that our location and access to the new grills worked out well for you. I am sorry to hear that we were not able to exceed neither your, nor my expectations. I will share all of your comments with my staff and use your feedback as a training tool for continuous improvement. We pride ourselves on delivering exceptional service and we clearly failed you. I hope that you will give us another chance to wow you on your next trip to the Charlottesville area.