“Great Stay”

Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville
Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Charlotte, United States
“Great Stay”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Comfortable room. Great service. I was greated with a smile and warm cookie. There was an issue with changing the booking date and they quickly took care of it and it did not cost additional money. The resturant was good and open until 10:30.

Thank Walter Arthur M... I
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Walter,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your most recent stay at our hotel. I am pleased that our reception team was able to help you with your booking and that you enjoyed your experience at TJ's Tavern. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back again.
Portfolio Reputation Manager - DoubleTree Charlottesville

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Midlothian, VA, United States
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Just a couple of miles away and well worth the drive, I wish I had know of this Doubletree in past stays. Beautiful property with excellent employees and amenities. Amazing value for what I paid. I had booked at a Hampton closer to downtown mall, but when a co-worker told me of this property and that the price point was similar for a Doubletree, I cancelled the one and booked here. There are enough great restaurants and bars a couple of miles from this location, (whatever area is called near new Trader Joes).

David,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your most recent stay at our hotel. I am so pleased that you chose to join us on the recommendation of a fellow traveler and that you found the location to be wonderful for you. Our goal is to provide superior service and accommodations to each and every guest that stays with us and it is great to hear that your experience will have you joining us again. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Bristol, Virginia
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel becuase it was the location of a meeting I was attending.

Since the lobby was so nice and the staff friendly, I was expecting the room ro be better than expected. Unfortunately, it was not. The only room left at the rate I needed was a two double bed accessible room. Disclaimer: I've never stayed in an accessible room, so I don't know what's considered standard. Maybe other rooms were better. My room was on the third floor (lobby level), with a view of the hillside (I think the Sam's Club parking lot was at the top of the hill).

The room didn't have a mini fridge, so I had to keep my bottle of water cold by using the ice bucket, which was tiny.

The matress was ok, but the pillows were all feather, which I cannot sleep on (I detest flat pillows; no support). There was only one bedside table, and it was in between the two beds. However, it was about three feet from each bed. I realized that handicap persons may need the space to place a wheelchair or other devices beside the bed, but why not have a table or shelf on the other side of the bed, with a light, for convenience? I had to roll over the office chair so I could have somewhere to set my phone and the remote.

There were no towel bars in the vanity or bathroom area. The door hook could be used since the bathroom door opened out, but that was the only place other than the hand rails. I didn't use the hand rails as a rack because they were close to the walls, and I don't know if the walls get cleaned. Also, that meant my choices to hang the towel would have been in the shower, over the toilet (as in mostly laying on the tank) or beside the toilet, on the other side of the room. Oh, and all the towels were on a shelf in the closet, which was kind of a high shelf.

The shower/tub was awful. The water had two temperatures: ice and scalding. I had trouble figuring out which way to turn the faucet to get hot water, and the tub filled with cold water by the time I figured it out. Then I had to wait 15 mintues for it to drain. The hand shower had no pressure when it was in the holder. And again, the drain was so slow that I was in standing water the entire time.

The vanity area was not well lit, so applying make up was challenging. The hair dryer was a standard hotel dryer, but it was on the top shelf in the closet, and I could barely reach it.

I ate breakfast, because it was included with my rate. For free food, it was decent. Definitely would not have paid for it though. I looked at the menu and room service prices and they seemed high.

This is a pet friendly hotel, so that's nice for people who travel with their pets. I enjoyed seeing people out walking their dogs, or seeing them in the hallway.

Overall, I would stay here again if I needed to because of work, but I wouldn't choose this for a personal trip.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
crdt723,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay. We truly value your input and very much rely on you, our guest, to help us improve our hotel operation. We strive to exceed the expectations of every guest who stays with us, and regretfully in your case we failed to meet that criteria. Please know that we do have mini fridges available upon request as well as foam pillows. Please accept my sincere apology that you were not satisfied with the room you requested. We will use your feedback to look at opportunities to improve the configuration of that accessible room. Please contact me directly so I have a chance to follow up with your other concerns. I look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back again.
Woodbridge, United States
Reviewed 15 January 2014

In the past, I've stayed here because they have the most reasonable pet fee in town. Even though the service hasn't been very good. This last stay was different. They've really improved and even exceeded my expectations (which admittedly were fairly low to begin with). Even though I had not requested it, the room had a pet bed, water bowl, and a little bag of treats. VERY NICE! And their staff is much friendlier these days. I'll definitely be back.

Dawn,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay. Each survey we receive is reviewed and shared with every associate in an effort to improve the service and accommodations that we provide our guests and I am pleased that you saw a marked difference on this visit. We thank you for your candid feedback, and look forward to welcoming you back again.
Charlottesville, United States
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stay at the DoubleTree every time because of the superb customer service, the cleanliness and overall comfort. Never any issues and although it is not near the University it is a short drive. You will be pleasantly surprised and the cookies are a bonus!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

PJ,
On behalf of our entire staff, thank you so much for your kind review. We certainly do strive to provide all of our guests with the level of service that you described you received during your stay and I will certainly make sure I acknowledge the entire staff for their efforts. We hope that you have an opportunity to visit us again soon and if there is anything I can do personally to assist with a return visit, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with us and Trip Advisor!
Patchogue, United States
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Great place! My mother, husband and I only needed a place near airport for the one night but this was a great hotel. Wish we had more time to stay. Very helpful staff and just loved the warm chocolate cookies with walnuts!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Susan,
Thank you for choosing us as your hotel during your last visit. It was a pleasure to have you and your family at our hotel. We are so delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay and that you enjoyed everything, including our famous cookies! We look forward to a chance to welcome you back again so you can truly enjoy all that the hotel has to offer.
Columbia, United States
Reviewed 10 January 2014

This was a great place to stay: room was quiet, accomodations were good and the restaurant opened early for breakfast. Everyone was helpful and friendly. Would stay here again for business or pleasure as the hotel was easy access to local attractions.

Donna,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your most recent stay at our hotel. We pride ourselves on providing an exceptional experience and appreciate your kind words. I am glad that the hotel service team made you feel welcome and that you were able to enjoy TJ's Tavern. We look forward to a chance to welcome you back again soon.