“Poor Quality/”

Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville
Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
South Chesterfield, United States
“Poor Quality/”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Was very shocked that with DoubleTree being advertised as a excellent hotel that it would only have 3 carts to put luggage on to transport to and from your room. In room pillows were such poor quality that once you put your head on them it was like not having a pillow under your head. No one came to clean/make up bed my entire time I was there. This is extremely cheap and unsanitary. No I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. I am wondering if all DoubleTree hotels are this cheap and poorly maintained.First hotel I have stayed at that no one even asked to help get my luggage to my room, especially since I am physically limited in my abilities. Sorry DoubleTree, you failed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Patricia,
Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor.com. We have the greatest concern and respect for every guest’s experience. We strive to exceed the expectations of every guest who stays with us, and regretfully in your case we failed to meet that criteria. Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not meet our own high standards of service. We will be using your comments as a training opportunity for our team. Please contact me directly so I have a chance to follow up with your concerns. I look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back again.
edailey@greenwoodhospitality.com
313-253-4344

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Suffolk, Virginia, USA
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Just stayed at this hotel over the weekend for a conference. The staff was very friendly and offered me an upgrade to the Executive Floor due to my HiltonHonors gold status. However, I think this should have been offered automatically without my having to ask for it. The room was very clean and nicely appointed. It was a pretty good size for a Standard Guest Room. Overall a good stay.

Only compliant is that the hotel is located a good little drive from the major Interstate highway system, so if you are traveling be sure to avoid rush hour.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Patrick,
I am glad that you were able to join us for your conference. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We strive to provide the best possible service and guest experiences every day, and it’s always great to hear from our guests on how we’re doing. We look forward to welcoming you back again.
Tewksbury, United States
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My family arrived late after a drive from Florida, just to see Monticello. We checked in at 2:30 AM and were out by 8 AM. The front desk staff member was outstanding - I called ahead to ensure that while we were coming late, we were still coming. The room was spacious, comfortable, and helped us sleep fast. Loved the pool in the atrium - We plan to go back and stay again in the future. Only one problem - our wake up call was forgotten, which might have resulted in us missing our tour.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Jane,
I am pleased that you were able to join us for your visit to Monticello. It was a pleasure to have you and your family at our hotel. We are so delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay and that you enjoyed the hotel, and that you had a restful night's sleep. All of the staff takes great pride in knowing that their hard work and dedication is making a difference to our guests, and your comments have been shared with the team. We hope to have a chance to welcome you back again soon.
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We just spent two nights at this Doubletree. We normally really enjoy Doubletrees and were looking forward to this one. I was at a meeting and so my wife, 3 yr old, and 2 1/2 month old went to check in. This was at 2pm on a Friday afternoon. Not only was there no one to help her with luggage, there weren't even any luggage carts available. So the poor lady had to lug bags up to the 9th floor and back on four separate trips by herself with two young children in tow. When she went to ask the front desk folks if there were any carts, the response was "well there should be". No help. The room was ok. Beds were fine. But peeling paint and obvious patches around. The fridge was unplugged and fell out of its furniture frame if you tried to open the door. And then we went to order dessert from room service on Friday evening. We ordered ice cream and a variety of small desserts. The room service person on the phone told us it would be 20 minutes. Great. After waiting 45 minutes, I called back and they said that the person should be there momentarily. Five minutes later (50 minutes after being told it would be there in 20), it arrives. The ice cream is mostly melted and the ice cream on the apple crisp is completely melted. It looks like it sat in the kitchen for the last 50 minutes. I get a call back from someone in room service asking if everything was ok. I told her "no, it was very late and all the ice cream was melted". So then we receive a card with a $50 food and beverage credit under our door. Great. When we go to check out on Sunday, we ask if we can apply that credit to our room service charges on our hotel bill. The answer is no. You have to apply it to new food and beverage charges. Well, we are checking out, so that would require us to come stay at this hotel again. Something we are unlikely to do. So we just gave the gift card to our excellent waitress at breakfast as a tip. She seemed happy. Oh, and there was nobody to help us with luggage when we were leaving AND no luggage carts available again, so we had to do two trips back and forth from our room to get everything down to the car. As anyone with children knows, traveling with kids means you have to bring tons of stuff and the simple fact that there is no help and no way to get this stuff up and back from your room alone makes this hotel very unwelcoming.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Tom,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay. We truly value your input and very much rely on you to help us improve. I would like to truly apologize for the issues you had during your stay. Your experience certainly does not reflect the exceptional service that we strive to provide. We will be using your comments as a training opportunity for our team. I would appreciate a chance to speak with you directly and follow up on your concerns. I hope to have a chance to welcome you back so your family can have the relaxing experience you deserve.
edailey@greenwoodhospitality.com
313-253-4344
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Nice for travel with pups, generous space for potty time. Decent location. Delicious cookies at check-in. We stayed in the jacuzzi suite and I would check the tub throughly before using. We didn't use it because it had a decent amour of debris in it. The restaurant has a good selection of local beers and wine.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Corey,
Thank you for choosing us as your hotel during your last visit. We try to make everyone’s visit memorable by providing the best comfort, the friendliest service, and the best of amenities. I am pleased that you and your pups enjoyed the hotel and TJ's Tavern. Please accept my apologies that your room was not as clean as it should have been, we will use your comments as a training opportunity. We hope to have a chance to welcome you back again soon.
doylestown, United States
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Had a great family vacation while staying here. Close to Mountpilier, Ash Lawn & Mounticello. Love the pool, fitness center and Restaurant. There were many people staying but surprisingly quiet. This place has everything you need for a great stay. Our only problem was that the mattresses were uncomfortable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Erin,
Thank you for choosing us as your hotel during your last visit. It was a pleasure to have you and your family at our hotel. I am glad that you found the location of the hotel and our amenities to enhance your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed in Charlottesville near the University of Virginia for 2 nights and moved to this hotel to be closer to the airport on my last night since I had an early morning departure the next day. When I drove up I was initially disappointed as it appeared to be an older hotel. As I walked thru the lush landscaping with the azaleas in full bloom to the entry I new my initial impression was wrong. This is a older facility that has been renovated from top to bottom and is absolutely gorgeous. The rooms are large and fresh. Public areas are beautiful and the pool atrium is simply fantastic. I was traveling on business but would love to return to this hotel with my family as I was totally impressed! A great, friendly staff as well.

I also ate at the hotel restaurant, TJ's Tavern where I perhaps had the best restaurant meal I've had in a long time. The filet I ordered was so tender I could cut it with a fork.

Thanks Doubletree for providing me with such an oasis after a long week of business travel!

Room Tip: If you are a Hilton Honors Diamond member they'll place you on the Concierge floor which offers...