“Disappointed”

Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville
Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Charlottesville, United States
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My preference is to stay at Hilton properties when I have a choice. The accommodations are almost always above my expectations. This most recent stay was the exception and it was very disappointing. Given the fact that this was an expensive rate at $159/night I had high expectations. However, -Light poured into the room around the door to the hallway -It looked liked the plumber didn't have the right bath tub spigot so they smeared calk around to hide the fact -There was corrosion around the bathroom vent -The bathroom door wouldn't shut unless it was slammed -The wall paper was beginning to loosen in the bath. This was the worst maintenance I have ever experienced at a Hilton proprety.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
William,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay. We truly value your input and very much rely on you to help us improve. We strive to exceed the expectations of every guest who stays with us, and regretfully in your case we failed to meet that criteria. I am surprised to hear the items in your room that were so overlooked and I apologize for the discomfort that it caused you. Please know that our team will be addressing these items immediately, and I appreciate you bringing them to my attention. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. Please contact me directly so I have a chance to follow up with your concerns. I look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back again.
313-253-4344

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Anacortes, Washington
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I had been to this hotel years ago, so when we were in the area again in June I thought ok..Nope. First, I told my kids they would get a cookie on check-in. Nope. Maybe they don't do that anymore? Nope, when we get to our room we promptly found pieces of uneaten cookie behind the night table. So I guess it was just us that didn't get cookies. In addition to the mess in the room, we were also treated rudely by a management team member that was giving a tour to a previous guest who had a bad experience. She gets in the elevator that is going down and puts in the key to go to top floor. Hey lady, don't mind us...we really wanted to ride the elevator for much longer. So while she gets the lowdown from the unhappy guest and takes her to the top floor for pampering...she treats paying guests rudely...no apology for us, just an extra ride. Oh and she said, "The elevator will go right down now." It has really gone downhill since my stay years ago. ps..when they don't ask how your stay was at check-out, you know that they know how bad they are.

1 Thank MagnesiumQueen
Magnesium Queen,
Thank you for staying with us again, and for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor.com. Please accept my sincere apologies that this visit did not resemble the outstanding visit you had with us previously. Let me assure you that we still take great pride in our service and anything short of fantastic is not acceptable. I am sorry that your experience did not reflect this. I welcome a chance to speak with you in more depth about your visit and to follow up on your concerns.
winchester, United States
Reviewed 30 June 2014

When I arrived at the airport about 11:30 pm, I called for the shuttle and was told it was not running because the driver failed to show up. I was given a complimentary breakfast certificate but not reimbursed for my taxi fair. I noticed there were a lot of free breakfast certificates. It took me three attempts to get my key card to work, very frustrating late at night.

James,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay. We truly value your input and very much rely on you to help us improve. I would like to truly apologize for the issues you had during your stay. We will use your comments to make immediate improvements. Please contact me directly so I have a chance to follow up with your concerns. I look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back again.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I recently stayed here for a business trip to the Charlottesville area and was extremely disappointed with the cleanliness and quality of the hotel rooms. The only saving grace was the staff (and maybe the free breakfast they gave me). I arrived at 10:30pm to check into my room. The first room I got was absolutely disgusting! The carpet was dirty and stained and was even raised off the ground in places. I don't even want to speculate on what the stains were. I was super skeeved out at this point and took all of my belongings back to the front desk to ask for another room. I was told that they were booked for the evening, but the woman at the front desk was extremely nice and looked anyway. She managed to find a cancellation and moved me to another room on the same (ground) floor with two double beds instead of the king I had booked.

I walked into the second room and found that the sliding door was wide open and the air off, so it was extremely humid and hot in the room, plus I had to do an extra sweep to make sure there were no critters or intruders in the room once I finally figured out how to lock the door. While the carpet wasn't stained like the previous room, it was clearly not fresh and did have dirt and debris visible. Overall, the rooms were not in good condition and not worth the money or up to the Doubletree brand name. I should have paid the extra $20-30 and stayed at a Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden Inn farther downtown.

The woman at the front desk did give me a voucher for a free breakfast when I told her the condition of my first room, which I did really appreciate, although I would have appreciated a clean room more. The breakfast was good and had a ton of fresh fruit and an omelette bar. Next time I'm in Charlottesville for work, I'll pass on this hotel and I would recommend you do too until they undergo some serious renovations.

1 Thank Matt H
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Matt,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay. We truly value your input and very much rely on you to help us improve. Please accept my sincere apologies that the rooms you were provided were not to the high level that we expect of ourselves. Please know that anything short of impeccable is not acceptable and I regret that your experience did not reflect this. We will be using your feedback as a training for out housekeeping team to ensure that more attention is being paid to these details and to ensure that they are communicating properly with maintenance. I am so pleased that our reception team was able to assist you and that you very much enjoyed your breakfast. We hope that you have an opportunity to visit us again, if there is anything I can do personally to assist with a return visit, please do not hesitate to contact me.
San Antonio, United States
Reviewed 26 June 2014

What a great place to stay! Absolutley the best staff and accomodations that I have stayed at in years. If there aws anything I needed, I had it within minutes. This hotel was very classy and very upscale yet very affordable. I will certainly stay here again the next time I am back ion Charlottesville!

Paul,
Great song reference in your title! On behalf of our entire staff, thank you so much for your kind review. We certainly do strive to provide all of our guests with the level of service that you described you received during your stay and I will certainly make sure I acknowledge the entire staff for their efforts. We hope that you have an opportunity to visit us again soon and if there is anything I can do personally to assist with a return visit, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with us and Trip Advisor!
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Delightfully splendid! Our daughter's wedding reception was held at this hotel. We had the absolute best experience and service from every employee for our two night stay. I would like to commend Samantha Giles and her assistant Melissa O'Brier for coordinating all the details from blocked rooms for the 25 overnight guests to every detail during the reception held in the Promenade Ballroom. Parking, dining, amenities, and professionalism of the entire staff made for the perfect wedding weekend. The hotel staff answered every question and request in an extremely pleasant manner. I highly recommend this hotel for any huge event for those you want to impress!

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor with had easy access to the elevators.
Deb,
I am so pleased that you were able to share your special occasion with us! Congratulations to you and your family, your daughter was a gorgeous bride! We were truly humbled by your gracious comments regarding our hotel service team. All of the staff takes great pride in knowing that their hard work and dedication is making a difference to our guests; I will be sure to recognize the people you mentioned for the positive impact they had on your stay with us. We look forward to a chance to welcome you back again soon.
central PA
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I was in Charlottesville for one night recently and enjoyed a delightful stay at the Doubletree.On arrival, I received a warm welcome and delicious warm cookies for all of my party. The lobby was spacious and attractive. Our roomwas clean, fresh, and nicely appointed. We were sorry that we had not brought along our swimsuits when we learned that the attractive pool was open late. The breakfast buffet was very good if a bit pricey for what it offered but not out of line with other hotels' food prices. Check-out was quick and the front desk attendant was again friendly and cheerful. My only small negative comment was that the high speed elevator was a bit nausea inducing when it made multiple stops. Would definitely stay here again.

Momzilla,
Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful experience at our hotel with us. It was a pleasure to have you and your family at our hotel. I am so pleased that you enjoyed eating our DoubleTree cookies as much as we enjoy baking them! Please know that there are stairs available for guests that are sensitive to the movement of elevators. We strive to provide the best possible service and guest experiences every day, and it’s always great to hear from our guests on how we’re doing. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon so you can enjoy the pool.