“Conference Review”

Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville
Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Charlottesvill...
Bristol, VA, United States
“Conference Review”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I asked for a cart several times and none was found. Parking was so filled, had to park in place with limited lighting..was scared to return to pack up the vehicle. Only one elevator was working the entire time in the three days I was there. No one came to repair the elevator. Other guests state sometimes two elevators were not working and everyone had to use the stairs. Two out of four toilets were not usable. All three hundred of us were staggered to use the restroom. We couldn't go to our rooms in a timely manner, because of just the only elevator working to use our own bathroom. It took one-half hour for me to make two trips to my vehicle the next morning due to the slowness of the elevators, amount of usage and time to the end of the parking lot. Two mornings in a row, some kind of very loud alarm went off at 4:30 am...One time the clerk said it was the smoke alarm. Second morning I called, they said they would send someone and that was another half hour later. I was extremely upset: couldn't get in the building and I couldn't get out of the building. The bathrooms were awful, stink was awful. The wait for everything was awful. I have always loved this place! Sure upset at this point! s

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Shirley R. B
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Shirley,
Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor.com. Please accept my sincere apologies that we missed an opportunity to provide you with another outstanding experience. As a repeat guest you have insight into the experience you should expect from us. Please know that the elevator repair is an ongoing process. We have opened up our service elevators to our guests to ensure convenience. We will be addressing your other comments with our management team so we can make operational changes. Please contact me directly so I have a chance to follow up with your concerns. I look forward to regaining your trust on future visits.
313-253-4344

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Beds are very comfortable and the bathrooms have been updated, so the only way that this hotel actually shows its age is in the layout. The elevators are at one end of the hallway, and if your room happens to be on the other end, you have a looooong walk through the single hall to get to your room. When you check in, specify that you wish to be closer to the elevators if walking is a challenge. The door to our room did not close unless we pulled it really hard, and having to leave some mornings at dawn made me worry that I was waking the other guests. We were given $10 certificates for the breakfast buffet, but that was not worth it for me and one of our kids, so only our 17-year-old son partook, so I cannot comment on what that was like. We were comfortable because it was a Doubletree, but this grande dame is showing her years.

Room Tip: Request a room with a smaller number if you have mobility challenges or just prefer not to have to c...
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Had a great stay at Doubletree-we had a suite on the 6th floor and it was wonderful. TV didn't work, so I called the front desk-they sent engineering up within 5 min!! Tv was fixed and the guy couldn't have been nicer. Had a good salad in the bar area! Would recommend :)

Stayed July 2014
Jamestown, United States
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We had a great stay! Went out of our way to come here based on previous reviews. After 4 hours of driving the warm cookies were just what my kids needed, and the pool was perfect to stretch out our limbs after such a long drive.

Delmar, New York
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed 2 nights for a family event. Our room was never cleaned by Housekeeping staff. When we returned at 9:30pm I called about it and a staffperson offered to have someone come at that hour but I declined. Elevators were slow so we took the stairs--we were just one floor off the lobby. Staff were very friendly and polite, but for these prices I expected better service. The room itself was lovely, with a comfortable king bed. Bathroom so small that you had to close the door before sitting on the toilet or there wouldn't be enough room to close it.

1 Thank Deborah1231
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Deborah,
I am pleased that you were able to join us for your recent family event. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel overall and that our reception team was friendly and polite. Please know that we have reviewed training items with our housekeeping team to ensure that service is not missed again. We will use your feedback about the elevators and guest baths to make improvements during future refreshes. We look forward to a chance to welcome you back.
Virginia
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The Good Stuff: The property and common areas (lobby, pool, gym) are nicely kept, and the staff was very helpful and courteous. TJs (the restaurant inside the hotel) served excellent food! We selected this hotel because it was "pet friendly"; lots of green space outside the hotel for pets to run around. Appearances and customer service make up for the fact that the rooms in this hotel are largely outdated.

The Bad Stuff: If you bring a pet you must relinquish a non-refundable pet deposit (pretty standard), but management also forces you stay on the 3rd floor (lobby level). Our room reaked of "pet odor" the moment we walked in, which wasn't even ready when we arrived after 5pm--so we walked our dog for 30 minutes until it was. While I'm sure putting all pets on a single floor consolidates the "pet mess", it makes for a poor experience for 170 dollars a night--particularly for folks with well-behaved/non-neglected pets. You'd almost think you were at an animal shelter if you walk down the hallway with all barking. To top it all off, we were double charged for room service when we checked out. Apparently, the manager on-duty does not have the power to refund my money until Monday...awesome.

Room Tip: Anything other than the 3rd floor.
1 Thank ammcnei
Ammcnei,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay. We truly value your input and very much rely on you to help us improve. I am so pleased that you found the hotel to be lovely and that the green space and location of the hotel suited you. Please accept my sincere apologies that the room you were provided did not meet our high standards. The cleaning fee we access for each pet helps us in remediation of the room so we can return it to a flawless condition between guests. I regret that this was not your experience. We are using your comments to monitor that quality of that service and make improvements. We look forward to providing you the experience you should expect upon your return.
Christiansburg, United States
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed for a pageant event. We was guaranteed check in at 3:00 which that didn’t happen and the staff at the desk was not friendly . Some did not get in their rooms until 5:00 which was unacceptable seeing how we needed to prepare out girls for their first event. Several girls had to go to a friend’s room to get ready. The pool was way too small. And we went to the continental breakfast which I thought was included but was not told that there was a charge until I got the $20 bill for the 2 of us.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Deanna,
I am pleased that you were able to join us for the pageant. Please accept my apologies that we missed some opportunities to provide you with a flawless experience. We work each day to improve the quality and service that we provide to you and this feedback will help us to improve. We look forward to welcoming you back and improving upon this experience. Please contact me if you would like to follow up on your experiences.